Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When people get older, they often fret about things they wouldn't have when younger. I see this in my own mum who's nearing 80. One of these things, regardless of how much £££ they have in the bank, is paying bills. My mum keeps a close eye on her electricity bill for example. And for pensioners on a budget it's even more important to watch what they spend.

Paul B, flogging the (still not limited stock) radiators, comes up with this GREAT idea when referring to the app you can use to control the heaters from other locations ...

You might buy one of these heaters for an elderly relative. We know what they can be like, turning the heating down or off altogether cause they're worried about the cost. WITH THIS, you can set the heater to come on even if you're not there, ensuring they're nice and warm.

Eh?!? WHAT?!? So you stealthily turn your elderly relatives heating on, then they get surprised with a larger electricity bill and maybe start to panic. After all, they know they've not been putting their heating on much, so where has the increased cost come from?

What a TWATISH suggestion.

You need a bit more than an apron from eBay with your name on it to become a chef of celebrity. Or is it a handy tool to help him remember who he is? Similar to taking out an LPA for Stan Butler to make him an expert in pills and wrobate. Ooh Er…the celebrity chef is making an omelette now…Heinz Tomato Soup to follow…

AGAIN it's the ****** radiators with the 2000w beldray with a 1* review on ideal worlds website, one customer has posted a photo that says heater must be 1m away from walls etc and only to be used for 4 hours at a time and must be totally cool before using again as the ceramic could crack.
So much for a replacement for your central heating.

MR BROD COLBOURNE

Not fit for purpose! So you can turn your central heating off and use this heater instead - really? Firstly it is not the revolutionary product implied but merely a modern take on a storage heater, a technology that has been around for many years. Secondly and more importantly it is” for occasional use only” according to the instruction book. Even worse the manufacturers are quite clear that it can not be used for more than 4 hours at a time after which it has to be switched off and allowed to cool completely before being used again. We are not told what horrors unfold if we dare to use it for longer (does the ceramic crack,does the insulation fail) who knows but the manufacturers are so convinced as to put a large label on the heater itself as well as the warning in the instruction book! If you do use it for more than 4 hours are the manufacturers going to turn down any warranty claim on the grounds that you have not used it according to the instructions ( i.e. misused)? Days in my part of the world are 24 hours long so a heater with such restrictions is useless. You’re better of with a cheap oil filled radiator or a fan heater.
Photo of product

Just looking at the user manual, geesh don't think i will be buying one of these, sound very dangerous.

Wall mounted needs a heat resistant wall. Don't think i've heard them mention that on the shows.

Mustn't be any wires, water pipes or gas pipes in the wall behind the radiator.

Can't use them in small rooms if the person in the room is unable to leave the room themselves.

That's because they are ignorant of how watches and the different functions/bezels work, yeah they'll be able to prattle on some very, very basic stuff, but anything in-depth and they're lost and it looks bad, these so called experts are just frauds and actually leave the casual viewers more confused/ignorant than they are at the start of the sales pitch and give viewers the totally wrong idea/impression of what capabilities the watch actually has or hasn't. Probably why Kevin Reynolds, is probably the best of a bad bunch as he knows a wee bit more, but even he shows his ignorance at times and comes out with some right crap.;)
But as to the GMT watch, no way were these two going explain how to use the basic GMT function on that watch, let alone in association with the time zones bezel, same goes for Compass or tachymeter features, it's well beyond their level of expertise. ;):ROFLMAO: As for the movement, she said it was a Swiss Ronda, so was probably the Ronda 515-24H or 505-24H, which will allow you to set the GMT hand independently, but the fact they didn't have Swiss on the dial, i highly doubt they came assembled from Ronda's Stabio Facility in Switzerland, more likely from Ronda's Hong Kong offices (assembled in Thailand) which provides cheaper movements for the Far East watch makers for their faux Swiss made watches.
The other night when Shaun btw was on with Miss Garrards, he was demonstrating one of the watches, and, as he always does, tried to turn the bezel:rolleyes: Of course, it was a dress watch. Thought he was a collector:ROFLMAO:
And later tonight we'll have more slaver about Slava movements:giggle:

The other night when Shaun btw was on with Miss Garrards, he was demonstrating one of the watches, and, as he always does, tried to turn the bezel:rolleyes: Of course, it was a dress watch. Thought he was a collector:ROFLMAO:
And later tonight we'll have more slaver about Slava movements:giggle:

I watch some of that show, he said he had a few Delorean's in his collection, he must have some collection of IW horological wonders. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Oh yeah, the CCCPs with vintage authentic Russian Slava movements, that have been refurbished with Chinese parts. ;)

I’m Wheelchair bound I know I wouldnt feel safe having on of those radiators.

With things like this IW need to give over all this information rather than spouting rubbish, but they know If they are honest nobody would buy
Just noticed I said i wouldnt feel safe having on one of the radiators.

Crap have I just given BeldRay a idea a wearable radiator

Just looking at the user manual, geesh don't think i will be buying one of these, sound very dangerous.

Wall mounted needs a heat resistant wall. Don't think i've heard them mention that on the shows.

Mustn't be any wires, water pipes or gas pipes in the wall behind the radiator.

Can't use them in small rooms if the person in the room is unable to leave the room themselves.

Tbh the warning re no services in the wall where mounted will just be them covering themselves in case you drill through a pipe or cable. Instruction manuals for electrical goods are becoming ever more laden with warnings about ventilation, unsuitable spaces to use them, not to use unsupervised etc, it's mainly risk avoidance for the manufacturer and retailer.

Having said all that, the stuff about only for occasional use is interesting, as is the instruction to allow the item to fully cool before using again. None of this mentioned on the presentations of course.

Why on earth would you buy a £200-300 radiator (or two) as a back up in case your heating fails? I bought a £30 convection heater as my backup. Gives off enough heat to sufficiently warm a room and, whilst not cheap to run, it would only be for a few days tops until the central heating is repaired.

As has been touched on, they're simply modern storage heaters. Yes they are much more streamlined than ones from decades ago, and more controllable, but the principal is the same. Old ones had bricks (not sure if special bricks) that retained the stored energy then let it out during the day.

Don't worry Boris, IW has the solution to the over-use of gas powered central heating ;)

Hang on, these CCCP watches bear a striking similarity to Vostok Amphibias and Scuba dudes:unsure:

And the pilot's watch has a dial and crown that's popular with their sister brand AVi-8.

Seems like running out of ideas of their own, although the watch with their own idea, hammer and sickle looks awful.

Oh Mason with the usual - "how many have we got left?" pause for effect, then "is that it?" with no numbers given. :ROFLMAO:

And the guy shouldn't be saying original slava movements, as they've been refurbished with Chinese parts, which makes them worthless as collector pieces.

Last edited:
Just looking at the movement inside the Spasskaya, even through the red tinted glass you can see that it's not a completely original movement, it's not the original Slava Rotor, and the whole balance wheel/regulator assembly and anti shock is different to an original Slava.

The vostoks are at least £100 cheaper and with a proper history.

And are actually Russian.

Vostoks aren't everybody's cup of tea especially the wobbly crown, but they are a genuine watchmaker, that as you say, has genuine history and heritage and doesn't need to con collectors with lies.

Vostoks are good fun, haven't posted a pic for a while so here's mine. :D

"Scuba dude", "Amphibian" (mod), "Neptune" and "Kirovskie K43"

a.jpg

Latest posts

Back