New Style Rocks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have to say I am not convinced by the new format. It seems a little slow, and as many have said, the rising prices made them different.

Maybe we have gotten used to paying practically nothing, and change will always upset people, especially when we are so used to how things were.

I think Bargain Hunter makes a marvellous suggestion of using this new format for the higher end items, where Rocks have been losing a fortune, and having a couple of other auctions in the old format going on alongside at the same time for low end items.

My initial reaction is I don't like that there is only one lot at a time and they seem to be taking forever.

Will reserve judgement though & see how it goes.

I have to say I quite like so far... There still seem to be some pretty good bargains to me. I do miss the catalogue feature though. I agree with Janey... It would be nice to see what is coming up next.

I say good luck to all at Rocks, I just hope it is not going to be slippery slope into Gemstv land! :39:

I'm not sure...............

My main problem is, with the other falling price auction channels (and specifically Gems) you have the option to remove something from your basket if it was an impulse purchase and/or the price didn't fall to the level that you expected.

On Rocks, you still have to check items outconfused there's no 'remove this item' option, even though the auctions are now falling price.

Having said that I'm sure that there's still al lot of flexibility and things will change - hope so.

the long lag between livestream and bidding was irritating - it caught me out quite a few times. I counted a 9 second lag this evening which had a huge impact on things. I would definitely like to know what is coming up next in the auctions now that we can't inspect ahead of time.

I had some issues with my basket - I lost the kama charms bracelet I bagged recently after waiting for ages for the right combo of charms, but had problems checking it out so I held off - was going to sort it tonight, but when I logged in, it had gone as had another item.

I hope it all settles down for them and that the new format is a success. Am still wondering how they are going to make money from a falling auction situation when the items were already selling below manufacture price when the prices were going upwards!

err. don't like it, sorry Rocks. I liked seeing 3 lots at a time, i liked seeing what other items sold for in the catalogue earlier, I liked to bid to my limit and see whether i was successful, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Don't know if I'll stick around long term now on Rocks.
At least my cc will be happy.

Hello, I'm posting to the forum for the first time, so I must apologize for putting in my penny worth. As someone who has lost out on a number of auctions under the previous system, I like this new format. At the time of posting, they have been live for just over 5 hours, so it's early days yet and teething problems are only to be expected with a new format. I have been lucky enought to bag a few bargains tonight, so I have to admit I am a bit biased in my opinion. However, I do hope they find a way of combining an auto bid system with this new format. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes! :))

I think we need to give it a chance to get going properly before making a judgement if they put more in each time and have more than one item at a time that will make a differance im sure

I'm not sure...............

My main problem is, with the other falling price auction channels (and specifically Gems) you have the option to remove something from your basket if it was an impulse purchase and/or the price didn't fall to the level that you expected.

On Rocks, you still have to check items outconfused there's no 'remove this item' option, even though the auctions are now falling price.

Having said that I'm sure that there's still al lot of flexibility and things will change - hope so.

when you check out, can't you uncheck the item in your basket, thereby leaving it in your basket and after 10 days will be deleted??? I hvaen't tried it, but I have seen the box and wondered.

I like the format give them a chance 2 iron problems out. Also good idea 2 combine coloured rocks so can bid on anything over 2000 items.

I don't like it at all. It's lost its sparkle. I - and I'm sure others - used to love seeing the 3 items come up at once - it kept things moving and kept us looking to see what came up next. Bidding upwards was fun, and prices often went higher as people tried to outbid each other, or loved an item so much they were prepared to bid higher - items went for varying prices it's true, but surely the higher bids outweighed the low ones - I saw a ring go for four times what I'd paid...

I used to like seeing the catalogue items with the final price on, after the auctions - it was interesting to see what items had fetched - this might not be of much concern to Rocks because they knew what the closing prices were anyway, but it made a fun element for us.

It's just like any other falling auction now - OK there's still the chat and we know who got items, but the presenters just sound like clones of Gems tv et al - "We really shouldn't be this low" "I'm going to be in trouble with this low price" "Nineteen pounds...NINETEEN POUNDS!" "I can't go any lower with this".

We've heard it all before...Rocks was fresh and different, exciting, addictive - now it's boring.

Prices tonight were sometimes in fact lower than they've been previously, so unless they're just loss leaders, I can't see how the new format can make more money, except for pulling an item if no-one wants to buy.

The only good thing about it is that there are more items in each auction. (It's starting to be called a "Game" - where have we heard that before..?!)

I also feel that the loyal following who were there from the start and spent so much money because they loved the format, have had the rug pulled from under them.

Last edited:
One more thing - the leaflet that arrived in my latest delivery, said that Rocks were changing the format as a resut of feedback. Does that mean people actually asked for it to be like this?

when you check out, can't you uncheck the item in your basket, thereby leaving it in your basket and after 10 days will be deleted??? I hvaen't tried it, but I have seen the box and wondered.

Good point, I like your way of thinkingbadger

I've just been to my Basket to have a look....... and there is actually a 'Remove' heading now. There aren't any tick boxes in that column at the moment but it seems like they must be planned?

i must say first reactions are i dont like the new format. i havent been a member for long but i did like the way they worked as it was different from all the other site and was quite fresh, lively and fun.
it seemed a bit more like the housewives choice ie you had the chance to buy things at lowish prices where you had quite alot of control. lets face it we can buy large emerald rings all day long on tjc if thats the market we are in.
i must admit i havent bought a great deal as yet but was saving up to try for a bigger value item for my christmas present but dont suppose that will happen now!!
the other thing to mention is that it was nice to see 3 things on screen at once, this made it easy to decide which items you would prefer to bid on rather than sit there for hours like i did last night and not know what, if anything interesting, would be next

i will be watching for a couple of nights to see how it pans out, after all there was going to be problems last night, there always is when you change things, but hope it doesnt go down the route of all the other samey outlets, a live chat box isnt enough to make it that different to all the others.
i speak from experience that you always get resistance from customers when changes are made and in the end they soon forget 'the old ways' so hope this happens for rocks too

I think there was a 'remove' heading before Jantac but the facility to check the box wasn't available on the auction items. if you had something from the website in there though at the same time that DID have the remove facility.

One more thing - the leaflet that arrived in my latest delivery, said that Rocks were changing the format as a resut of feedback. Does that mean people actually asked for it to be like this?

Aye - their Accountant :18:

I really don't like the site now at all, there is no information about the catalogue pieces ie no bracelet lengths or even which stones are in the item. I will not be buying from them again unless it goes back to a proper auction as personally I like to know what I am buying and often put my bid in on a morning as around teatime is just too busy to watch.:11:

I don't like it at all. It's lost its sparkle. I - and I'm sure others - used to love seeing the 3 items come up at once - it kept things moving and kept us looking to see what came up next. Bidding upwards was fun, and prices often went higher as people tried to outbid each other, or loved an item so much they were prepared to bid higher - items went for varying prices it's true, but surely the higher bids outweighed the low ones - I saw a ring go for four times what I'd paid...

I used to like seeing the catalogue items with the final price on, after the auctions - it was interesting to see what items had fetched - this might not be of much concern to Rocks because they knew what the closing prices were anyway, but it made a fun element for us.

It's just like any other falling auction now - OK there's still the chat and we know who got items, but the presenters just sound like clones of Gems tv et al - "We really shouldn't be this low" "I'm going to be in trouble with this low price" "Nineteen pounds...NINETEEN POUNDS!" "I can't go any lower with this".

We've heard it all before...Rocks was fresh and different, exciting, addictive - now it's boring.

Prices tonight were sometimes in fact lower than they've been previously, so unless they're just loss leaders, I can't see how the new format can make more money, except for pulling an item if no-one wants to buy.

The only good thing about it is that there are more items in each auction. (It's starting to be called a "Game" - where have we heard that before..?!)

I also feel that the loyal following who were there from the start and spent so much money because they loved the format, have had the rug pulled from under them.

great post jacky

I really don't like the site now at all, there is no information about the catalogue pieces ie no bracelet lengths or even which stones are in the item. I will not be buying from them again unless it goes back to a proper auction as personally I like to know what I am buying and often put my bid in on a morning as around teatime is just too busy to watch.:11:

They said last night they are still working on that BJ so I think the details on the items will improve etc.

Latest posts

Back