New Style Rocks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree about needing more information in the catalogue Beauty J. :wavesmilie:

I'm waiting to see how it goes over the next few weeks, but somehow I don't think I'm going to feel that adrenaline rush anymore when bidding on an item, probably more of a sense of disappointment that I waited too long and somebody snatched it away.:rolleyes:

I can see why they changed format though - obviously so they can control the prices and make a profit. If they're bringing in a lot more expensive items (i.e. Alexandrites, Morganites, Opals etc), it would be a big risk to put them up for auction and potentially lose a lot of money.

I think Steve tried his best to speed up the auctions last night when I was watching and it was a canny move on his part to encourage requests to get people more involved. I saw some amazing low prices too. The trick is to keep it fast paced to stop it being boring. I'd like to see 3 auctions running concurrently as it was before.

I missed what Steve said about pre-bidding on an item. Could anyone explain please how that is going to work? MTIA.

Hello everyone,

Just to give you a little update on the catalogue and the prebid system.

Our web team are doing some more work on the catalogue and it will soon display all the information. You'll also be able to pre-bid on an item - if the item goes down to that price you'll automatically be allocated one.

The really exciting thing though (hopefully some time next week) will be the ability to request an auction on any item on the Coloured Rocks site. You will just have to let us know what hour you'd like to see it in and what you're prepared to pay. If we decide to auction that item and it goes to the price you said, you'll be automatically allocated one.

As we all get used to the new format, it will hopefully be much quicker than the previous style and it will enable us to bring you some of the awesome new pieces and unusual gemstones that Steve and Sarah have found on their latest trips.

As usual, please feel free to email me if I can help you in anyway,

Kind regards

John

I totally understand the reason behind the change, after all, it IS a business, and businesses are created to make money, and yes, I know it's only the first night, but I do agree that it lacked the excitement of the previous format.

The lag also meant I missed out on a few things, which was disappointing, so I suppose I'll just have to get in quicker if I really want something, but I did enjoy the element of jumping in at the last minute to bid, and getting a rush if I did get it.

Will keep watching to see how things progress, but as my wi-fi is not working at the moment, won't be watching again til that's up and running as I don't want to sit by myself in the study while OH is watching TV!!!!

:doggie:

While I very much wish the company luck with the revamped venture, I think you've hit the nail on the head Mel: I enjoyed the upwards format and the debate about whether to stick that extra fiver on, rather than dealing with an extended timelag between livestreaming and the falling price information which meant that, with auto update, the item was often sold out where there had been X amount (even 8 or 10) available a moment ago.

I'll probably sound like a moaning minnie but I also enjoyed the luxury of being able to check out details on the next items coming while another auction was ongoing. Instead, now an item is belatedly uploaded and then suddenly all 1, 2 or 3 of it are gone while you're still looking at item details or frantically looking for a bracelet length! (bracelets are my hot item and most irritating item too at the moment). Getting the catalogue pre-bidding up and running again will be important and should save some frayed nerves.

A couple of times I was in Live Help and the lag meant I couldn't participate in an auction. I hope that things settle down and are slightly less frenetic in future.

I also hope that the lag between webstreaming and the price/item updates is much less than the 9 seconds I had last night. Was having to manually refresh every minute or two to try and keep pace with availability/uploaded piccies but then got stymied by the timelag in transmission.

I was about to put a fist through the screen when sanity prevailed and I logged out! :11:

Calm was restored after a couple of episodes of wannabe next top models fighting it out on TV :64:

The lag between the Auctioneer picture and the bidding button combined with having to refresh makes it a lottery not an Auction. Perhaps the improvements to advance bidding might help a tad.

Well, I didn't get involved last night but I did have a good look.
I think it's less involving to have a single auction going than it was to have three open, just my opinion.
But I really don't like the falling price thingy. I think before I was prepared to bang in a big autobid on something I liked in the hope that I'd get it for a chunk less but still be able to outbid my rivals.
Now that it works backwards, I suspect that you'll always pay the highest you'd be prepared to go for an item in order to secure it, as most of the bigger pieces are single item auctions.
I have to admit, even with the exciting newness and madness of the Steve, I was still quite bored last night - and quite happily passed the PC over to hubby when he came home. With the old format, I really begrudged him his couple of hours!
Oh, and just to add a final whinge, I don't like the new items. They're boring designs, yellow gold and high end - just what I don't want. I'm starting to think my bank manager and hubby have got to Steve and co! On the plus side, maybe some of my friends and family will get Xmas prezzies this year after all! (And how much do I regret not getting all those cuffies and money clips under the old system??? I had planned to get them nearer the time, I fear they're going to be above budget now.)
Hey ho, things had to change to make Rocks into a viable business, I just wish they had opted for reserve price rising auctions instead of the falling auction format. I don't like them.

I think it's less involving to have a single auction going than it was to have three open, just my opinion.
But I really don't like the falling price thingy. I think before I was prepared to bang in a big autobid on something I liked in the hope that I'd get it for a chunk less but still be able to outbid my rivals.
Now that it works backwards, I suspect that you'll always pay the highest you'd be prepared to go for an item in order to secure it, as most of the bigger pieces are single item auctions.
I have to admit, even with the exciting newness and madness of the Steve, I was still quite bored last night - and quite happily passed the PC over to hubby when he came home. With the old format, I really begrudged him his couple of hours!
Oh, and just to add a final whinge, I don't like the new items. They're boring designs, yellow gold and high end - just what I don't want. I'm starting to think my bank manager and hubby have got to Steve and co! On the plus side, maybe some of my friends and family will get Xmas prezzies this year after all! (And how much do I regret not getting all those cuffies and money clips under the old system??? I had planned to get them nearer the time, I fear they're going to be above budget now.)
Hey ho, things had to change to make Rocks into a viable business, I just wish they had opted for reserve price rising auctions instead of the falling auction format. I don't like them.

HI AnneC,

Just to pick up on a point you made, I still managed to pick up a money clip last night for £6 which was a lot cheaper than I have seen them before, so there are still bargains to be made. I am still unsure of the way the new site works, but I will reserve my final judgement until maybe sunday, that way all the little problems are out of the way, it should be running smoothly, then it will be easier to judge. Good Luck to the team for the next few days.

I will second what Anne has said. I currently have an open order so will stay over the weekend and see what I can add but with the new format I won't be rushing to the pc at 5 pm or even staying logged on till 11. Well as I have said before this had made my OH and my CC very happy!:53:!

Hi Anne C,

Just to let you know that we have loads and loads of new designs coming not just gold. Lots of new Tookalon and Pearls etc

Hi Anne C,

Just to let you know that we have loads and loads of new designs coming not just gold. Lots of new Tookalon and Pearls etc

Thanks Sarah. Unfortunately I personally cannot see myself waiting all evening to see what will be auctioned. Might just have to look on coloured rocks from now on. Shame really as I have enjoyed my evenings with rocks ever since it started.

seems like a very poor version of gemstv to me, the old format seemed like something abit different. Now with this new format, seems like rocks are simply trying to be gemstv or tjc, but on the cheap. Bit like a market stall trying to be a high street store!

seems like a very poor version of gemstv to me, the old format seemed like something abit different. Now with this new format, seems like rocks are simply trying to be gemstv or tjc, but on the cheap. Bit like a market stall trying to be a high street store!

Gosh you do seem disappointed with Rocks, have most of your purchases been a let down ?

Thanks Sarah. Unfortunately I personally cannot see myself waiting all evening to see what will be auctioned. Might just have to look on coloured rocks from now on. Shame really as I have enjoyed my evenings with rocks ever since it started.

Thats a shame bargain hunter as we are introducing a system where you can choose from our 2000 designs on coloured rocks and ask for specific items to be auctioned at a time to suit you.

The plus side to our new format is that we can do lots more auctions at great prices with much bigger quantites.

Gosh you do seem disappointed with Rocks, have most of your purchases been a let down ?

I haven't purchased from rockstv, but my daughter has, and has been happy with her items, at first anyways. know someone at work who has brought from rockstv too, and they weren't very impressed. Guess its personal choice.
What i meant by my last comment wasn't relating to rockstv jewellery, i meant a cheap version of gemstv becuase its just a feedon the internet rather than an actual channel.

Thats a shame bargain hunter as we are introducing a system where you can choose from our 2000 designs on coloured rocks and ask for specific items to be auctioned at a time to suit you.

The plus side to our new format is that we can do lots more auctions at great prices with much bigger quantites.

Thanks Sarah. Will see how all these will work. Hope you do manage to pull us regular bling lovers back xx

Latest posts

Back