Village Candles - like Yankee

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AndiK

Registered Shopper
There are loads of different Village Candle jars on www.achica.com at the moment with up to 40% off. They are very comparable to Yankee Candles and they do very similarly shaped medium and large jars, both said to burn longer than Yankee equivalent sizes at up to 105 and up to 170 hours respectively. They seem to have two wicks as well - does this help with pooling of the wax?

The medium jars are currently £10 instead of £15 each; the large jars are £12 instead of £20. P&P for up to 4 large jars is £4.99; 5 or more would be £7.99 (I think that's capped).

I feel a bit disloyal towards Yankee but at those prices I am tempted. They have some delicious sounding fragrances.

If you have not shopped at achica.com before, you have to enrol as a member and I think I can send you a personal link for £10 off your first order (I also would get £10 off, to be clear). Let me know if you might order.

Last edited:
It's worth keeping an eye on Achica as they do stock QVC brands occasionally, and when they do, the prices are fab - I've ordered Decleor in the past and Elemis, way below rrp and QVC prices.
As for Village Candles, I've never seen anything to link them to Yankee, but I can't help feeling that as they are both USA brands - if there was no connection, there would have been some sort of litigation over the fact that their jars are exactly the same shape and style. Anyway.... Village Candles do pool better with the 2 wicks, whereas Yankee have become a bit hit and miss, even if I burn a jar for hours on end I can't prevent tunnelling in some cases. The down side is that Village Candle wax, once pooled, becomes very hot, so the wax melts quite a way down, so I don't tend to leave them burning for as long as Yankee. Scent wise, I do prefer Yankee for more true to life scents - the last Village Candle I ordered online was Warm Buttered Bread.... and it smells nothing like that!! lol

Thanks for this, frenchie. You may have saved me a fortune as I have had my eye on several of the Village jars and was just pausing before ordering. One of them is Warm Buttered Bread - so, what does it actually smell like? Reviews generally say the fragrances and throw with VC jars are excellent.

I can throughly recommend village candles. The throw is excellent and a lovely clean burn.

I've not smelt or even seen village candles but I have used achica a couple of times as has my mum and I would have to say it's been a very frustrating experience! Their customer 'service' reviews online are BAD! Great prices though...

AndiK - the warm buttered bread does have a background scent of bread, but it's overpowered by a definite spicy scent. If you like cinnamon type spicy tones you may well like it - but as I don't, it's not for me. Maybe it's a difficult scent to create as Yankee, as far as I know, don't have a warm baking bread scented candle.... and as it's such a lovely homely smell I'm sure they would if they could! lol

My local ASDA store sell Yankee Candles, I'm not sure if they are any cheaper than Q but they had two large jars in a box at £17 and the votives were £1. They also had tarts and other sized candles.

My local ASDA store sell Yankee Candles, I'm not sure if they are any cheaper than Q but they had two large jars in a box at £17 and the votives were £1. They also had tarts and other sized candles.

Not sure if the ones you're talking about are the main yankee candle range but Asda generally sells the 'Simply Home' yankee range. The prices of these are lower than standard Yankees. It has much more limited range of scents - and different ones to main yankee, they also have different style of jars etc.
I'm not sure whether there is a difference in quality because, although I've tried and loved several of the simply home range, because they're differnent smells, I can't compare like with like. Overall I would say they're not quite as strong a smell and less good throw but for the price they are fab!

Tesco also sell simply home. I particularly like their tarts (new grapefruit one and spring flowers are lovely) and votives. For Christmas I got a beautiful 'simply home' gift set of a white tart burner with wisteria flowers embossed on and a set of gorgeous wintry tarts in a box and under £10 and it's perfect!

AndiK - the warm buttered bread does have a background scent of bread, but it's overpowered by a definite spicy scent. If you like cinnamon type spicy tones you may well like it - but as I don't, it's not for me. Maybe it's a difficult scent to create as Yankee, as far as I know, don't have a warm baking bread scented candle.... and as it's such a lovely homely smell I'm sure they would if they could! lol

Many thanks. I think you are right and the true smell of freshly baked bread must be tricky one to achieve so Yankee have not done it. Think of all the candles they could sell to people selling their homes if they cracked it!

I bought my first Village Candle today from a Hallmark outlet , The large Jar was £11.83 it looks identical to Yankee but has two wicks, I bought Lavender and so far very impressed by it, I also bought a set of VC tarts but haven't tried them yet .

I bought my first Village Candle today from a Hallmark outlet , The large Jar was £11.83 it looks identical to Yankee but has two wicks, I bought Lavender and so far very impressed by it, I also bought a set of VC tarts but haven't tried them yet .

Amazing how alike they are, isn't it? I didn't go for the Achica offer in the end as I umm'd and ah'd and then they all but sold out. I did buy a large VC jar from eBay at the weekend, though (not received yet) - can't wait to try it. Both the large and medium jars seem to have two wicks - are you finding that helps the wax to pool to the edge better?

Amazing how alike they are, isn't it? I didn't go for the Achica offer in the end as I umm'd and ah'd and then they all but sold out. I did buy a large VC jar from eBay at the weekend, though (not received yet) - can't wait to try it. Both the large and medium jars seem to have two wicks - are you finding that helps the wax to pool to the edge better?

Besides the name they look identical lol And tbh the Outlet had more Village Candles than Yankee and they were a few pounds cheaper, So far its burning perfectly, Im impressed with the "throw" but i think like YC it will vary between the fragrances as i has a sniff of almost all of the Village Candles and some smelt very strongly and some were pretty weak.

The Only differences i could tell between VC and YC were the fact the small jars of village candles are the same width as the large and medium jars unlike the small jar of YC and the tarts come in a block of 6 rather than the round tart shape.

I just wish more places would start stocking Village Candles as i think there are a very good cheaper alternative to Yankee plus some of the fragrances are nicer.

Interesting, thanks Autumn. Yes, I noticed those funny squat smaller sized jars. Should improve the throw having the wider neck. All the sizes are meant to have longer burn times but when you're talking 150+ hours (in the case of the large jars), I don't think we'll notice!

At first glance, VC labels are extremely similar to YC's, with an almost identical font used for the name and the same sort of photos depicting the fragrances. Surely there must be a connection between the two companies?

I'm going to keep a keen eye on Village Candles. The price you paid was excellent. Apart from the Achica offer, I've not found them much cheaper than about £14 but that's not bad, especially as it includes P&P on one website I came across.

Quick Update ive had the large Village Candle jar burning since around 3pm and its burnt perfectly and has filled the downstairs with fragrance, It hasnt tunnelled and doesnt seem to have "gone down" that much so i can see this jar lasting a long time :), I will be buying more VC in the future

Quick Update ive had the large Village Candle jar burning since around 3pm and its burnt perfectly and has filled the downstairs with fragrance, It hasnt tunnelled and doesnt seem to have "gone down" that much so i can see this jar lasting a long time :), I will be buying more VC in the future

Sounds excellent. Can't wait to receive mine and am already planning which of the other delicious scents I'm going to try and get hold of.

I'll post on this board if I come across any bargains (sadly no Hallmark outlet where I live).

Sounds excellent. Can't wait to receive mine and am already planning which of the other delicious scents I'm going to try and get hold of.

I'll post on this board if I come across any bargains (sadly no Hallmark outlet where I live).

Which Fragrance did you go for :) ?

Which Fragrance did you go for :) ?

Probably not to your taste - unless you like the foody ones. It's called Cherry Vanilla Swirl - I thought it might be like YC Cherries on Snow, which I have failed to find anywhere for under about £25. I am not a fan of many of the florals, but I do like a good Lavender candle. Is the VC Lavender like the YC French Lavender (which I was burning this evening)?

Probably not to your taste - unless you like the foody ones. It's called Cherry Vanilla Swirl - I thought it might be like YC Cherries on Snow, which I have failed to find anywhere for under about £25. I am not a fan of many of the florals, but I do like a good Lavender candle. Is the VC Lavender like the YC French Lavender (which I was burning this evening)?

Oooo they had that at the Outlet , I think it was only in a medium Jar so didnt sniff it sorry :( Hope you like it though :) I do like Cherries on snow so let us know you verdict when it arrives :)

The VC lavender imo is more true to life that the Yankee Version , I sniffed it and grabbed it straight away love lavender and any floral/ fresh scents :)

Oooo they had that at the Outlet , I think it was only in a medium Jar so didnt sniff it sorry :( Hope you like it though :) I do like Cherries on snow so let us know you verdict when it arrives :)

The VC lavender imo is more true to life that the Yankee Version , I sniffed it and grabbed it straight away love lavender and any floral/ fresh scents :)

As lavender is quite tricky to get right, it's interesting you like the VC version so much. It's £14.50 online so it's now on my list! I think the Cherry Vanilla Swirl is due tomorrow so I will definitely let you know what I think although to be honest, it's so long since I sniffed Cherries on Snow, I am not sure I will be able to compare. Let us know how you get on with the melt/tart things.

Latest posts

Back