Village Candles - like Yankee

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As lavender is quite tricky to get right, it's interesting you like the VC version so much. It's £14.50 online so it's now on my list! I think the Cherry Vanilla Swirl is due tomorrow so I will definitely let you know what I think although to be honest, it's so long since I sniffed Cherries on Snow, I am not sure I will be able to compare. Let us know how you get on with the melt/tart things.

I will try the melts today, I bought Hydrangea as its one of my all time favourite YC fragrances but its very hard to get now days, VC didnt have a large jar in it so i opted for the melts.

Having had lavender bushes in the gardens for years i would say the VC version is pretty spot on so can be a little heady like the real thing so if you dont "love" Lavender i probably wouldn't buy that one.

Thanks for that, Autumn. I am still tempted by the Lavender because I would personally prefer something that smells authentic to something toned down, although I can see why they would do that.

I am going to the Ideal Home Show on Friday and wonder if they will have a Yankee or Village Candles stand there. I went to the Christmas IHS and they had quite a big Yankee stand as well as a couple of ranges I didn't recognise: Root Legacy where I bought some nice votives as they were selling them off at 6 for £5, I think; also a make where the larger candles were in what looked like half-pint tankards complete with handles. Looking forward to exploring!

I picked up my Village Cherry Vanilla Swirl large jar this afternoon, came in and lit it straight away. Hmmmm, it's not at all what I expected, especially seeing the swirly cupcake picture on the label. The smell before lighting is quite artificial and plastic-y. Fortunately, the smell of it burning is more muted so I don't hate it. I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of but it might be those long red liquorice lace things (sweets), or bubblegum, but definitely no vanilla in there. So I'm a bit disappointed and that'll teach me for buying without sniffing. I'm definitely going to give other Village Candles a go still. They get good reviews generally.

This thread caught my eye as I have just had a Village Candle as a gift from my lovely niece. She knows I like candles and usually buys me Yankee as she lived near a Yankee outlet shop but has recently moved. It's the Hydrangea one Autumn mentioned in medium candle form. I've been burning it for a few days for around 3 hours every time and it is burning lovely, not too much soot left on wick after and it is a strong but pleasant smell. I would def buy more.

Ive used two blocks of the Hydrangea melt today, Had it on since 2.30pm and its still going strong, I like it but i prefer the blue Hydrangea YC do, Saying that the whole downstairs smells lovely so im still very impressed by VC and will be buying again :)

Sorry your not overly keen on the cherry Vanilla Swirl :(, Have you tried Cherry Vanilla from the YC simply home range?

Ive used two blocks of the Hydrangea melt today, Had it on since 2.30pm and its still going strong, I like it but i prefer the blue Hydrangea YC do, Saying that the whole downstairs smells lovely so im still very impressed by VC and will be buying again :)

Sorry your not overly keen on the cherry Vanilla Swirl :(, Have you tried Cherry Vanilla from the YC simply home range?

I haven't tried any of the Simply Home candles but will have a look next time I go to the big Tesco. Thanks!

I only burnt the CVS large jar for a couple of hours earlier and it really pooled to the sides well. I like that you don't have to burn them for as many hours as you do the Yankees. I think we need to explore these Village Candles further!

I haven't tried any of the Simply Home candles but will have a look next time I go to the big Tesco. Thanks!

I only burnt the CVS large jar for a couple of hours earlier and it really pooled to the sides well. I like that you don't have to burn them for as many hours as you do the Yankees. I think we need to explore these Village Candles further!

Cherry Vanilla is one of my Favourites from the Simply home range :)

I just wish more places sold Village Candles.

I have to say that having tried a couple of Village Candles, I do prefer Yankee because there never seems to be any artificial scent from them... sometimes the fragrances are a bit weak, but in my experience the scent you get from Yankee is what you expect.
I ordered Warm Buttered Bread VC online a few weeks ago as I loved the idea of scenting my kitchen (as my house was for sale! lol) - but I really don't like the smell at all - there's a definite spice smell to it, and not at all like warm bread... it's really not that pleasant (to me).
I think the 2 wicks actually gives too much burn with VC - the wax melts evenly, but too much, and after a few hours I have to put them out as the wax itself has smoked :-(
So, although they are generally more expensive, I prefer to stick with Yankee Candles :)

I have to say that having tried a couple of Village Candles, I do prefer Yankee because there never seems to be any artificial scent from them... sometimes the fragrances are a bit weak, but in my experience the scent you get from Yankee is what you expect.
I ordered Warm Buttered Bread VC online a few weeks ago as I loved the idea of scenting my kitchen (as my house was for sale! lol) - but I really don't like the smell at all - there's a definite spice smell to it, and not at all like warm bread... it's really not that pleasant (to me).
I think the 2 wicks actually gives too much burn with VC - the wax melts evenly, but too much, and after a few hours I have to put them out as the wax itself has smoked :-(
So, although they are generally more expensive, I prefer to stick with Yankee Candles :)

I was looking at a review on YouTube for the VC Cherry Vanilla Swirl large jar like mine. The reviewer says it's been burning for 4 hours and you can see a pool of molten wax a good inch deep! Wow! No wonder the label on the bottom suggests you don't burn for longer.

Like you, I suspect I will end up going back to Yankee but I very definitely want to explore these Village candles. I'll just have to make sure I sniff before I buy and not risk buying online just because the smells sound nice.

Just wondered whether anyone had any new comments on Village Candles? I saw Achica has them again, same offer as the one I posted about in March:

Large jars (1219g/26oz) - burn up to 170 hours - £12 (normally £20)
Medium jars (899g/16oz) - burn up to 105 hours - £10 (normally £15)
Small jars (701g/11oz) - burn up to 55 hours - £7.50 (normally £10)

Achica's P&P is by total weight - you seem to be able to get up to 4 large jars for £4.99.

Anyway, I have been looking at the fragrances and despite what I said about not buying again without smelling first after the disappointment of Cherry Vanilla Swirl (which I got on eBay), I am close to placing an order. I have so many foody and fruity Yankees but fancied a change and wondered whether anyone has tried or smelt in a shop any of the "outdoorsy" Village ones such as African Safari, Walk on the Beach, Summer Breeze and Rain or the "cologney" ones such as Wish Upon a Star, Black Bamboo and Rendezvous? I could even be tempted by a floral if I find out it's not too heavy but true to life. I have had a look at the fab waxaddicts.com site (thanks again, Autumn!) but it would be good to hear views from anyone on here who might have tried/smelt Village lately.

I can only comment on the Lavender large jar and the hydrangea tarts i bought and they are very nice but if you dont like a "heady" floral they may not be for you. Im pretty sure when i was at the Hallmark outlet i smelt "Rain" but wasnt too keen on it, i was expecting a similar fragrance to "Splash of rain" from YC.

Ill be interested to hear your verdict if you take the plunge and order any :)

Just to add i think Achica has listed some of the burn times wrongly. They have put the times for the Decor range on the Traditional housewarmer Candles.

Thank you for this. I remember you saying the Lavender was quite authentic. I have a couple of lavender scented candles in store or I'd definitely go for that from Village. I like a good, realistic lavender - some of them are like lavender talc. Will take your advice on Rain - wondered if it might be like November Rain.

I wish I lived near a shop that sold them so I could have a sniff. But I think I will risk a couple anyway and will definitely report back.

What do you mean about the incorrect burn times? Are the times I quoted above right for the Premium jars (what Yankee call Housewarmers, I think)?

Thank you for this. I remember you saying the Lavender was quite authentic. I have a couple of lavender scented candles in store or I'd definitely go for that from Village. I like a good, realistic lavender - some of them are like lavender talc. Will take your advice on Rain - wondered if it might be like November Rain.

I wish I lived near a shop that sold them so I could have a sniff. But I think I will risk a couple anyway and will definitely report back.

What do you mean about the incorrect burn times? Are the times I quoted above right for the Premium jars (what Yankee call Housewarmers, I think)?

Housewamers in YC are called Decor in Village Candles. The premium candles are the straight sided jars, take a look at this for the burn times ...

http://www.villagecandle.co.uk/index/candle-fact-sheet_83.htm

Housewamers in YC are called Decor in Village Candles. The premium candles are the straight sided jars, take a look at this for the burn times ...

http://www.villagecandle.co.uk/index/candle-fact-sheet_83.htm

Oh, I'm really confused now but thanks! I assumed the reverse, mainly because on the Achica site, they are calling the ones that look like Housewarmers the Premium range and they aren't giving the straight sided ones a name.

Oh, I'm really confused now but thanks! I assumed the reverse, mainly because on the Achica site, they are calling the ones that look like Housewarmers the Premium range and they aren't giving the straight sided ones a name.

lol yes the ones that look like housewamers are the decor range but the Achica site are quoting the burn times for them as the premium range lol Very confusing.

lol yes the ones that look like housewamers are the decor range but the Achica site are quoting the burn times for them as the premium range lol Very confusing.

Appreciate your help here. It's weird because the straight sided tumbler style look smaller.

I had a sniff of a few on Monday at a local strikes garden centre....if you have a Klondike or strikes garden centre near you it might be worth having a look.
I liked the rain I thought it was a bit aftershavey cherry was good actually I didn't sniff one and not like it.
Didn't buy because I still gave loads of Yankees left and this time of year I don't burn them

I had a sniff of a few on Monday at a local strikes garden centre....if you have a Klondike or strikes garden centre near you it might be worth having a look.
I liked the rain I thought it was a bit aftershavey cherry was good actually I didn't sniff one and not like it.
Didn't buy because I still gave loads of Yankees left and this time of year I don't burn them

Thanks for this. Great to hear what people think of the scents. The Rain is as I imagined. I do love Black Cherry from Yankee but wondered if it was the same from Village, in which case I already have a jar and a half in stock!

I hadn't heard of Klondyke/Strikes but looked them up and they seem to be all a long way north of me. There is an area where there are loads of garden centres near me though and that's given me an idea so I may go for a browse up there tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Back