Gem Collector

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
:mysmilie_51:Feeling a bit peeved with the Gem Collector (loose gemstones) channel. Viewers can search the gemstore, and request a particular item be shown on the 'Live' show (just like Gems TV and Rocks, they usually discount items on the Live show, even if only a few pounds are knocked off the website price). On Sunday, I spotted a loose gemstone that looked like a bargain, well-cut, from a good cutting location and at a good price. To be honest, I suspected that it might have been wrongly priced too low even on the website for what it was. Anyway, I sent a request through for a Live showing, and was poised to click Buy button as soon as the item appeared, before it had even been discounted - especially as there was only one of this type of stone in stock. When it came to my request, the presenter annoyed me by talking at some length before showing the stone, he was really "bigging it up" - what a brilliant choice I'd made, how clear the stone was, etc. etc. (bear in mind I'd requested to see it so I COULD BUY IT, not half the country!). Needless to say, the minute the stone appeared I clicked on Buy button...............you've probably guessed the rest - I got an immediate message to say "item out of stock". Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! The presenter then rubbed salt in the wound by saying "you have to get in quickly and check out" - which is exactly what I did do:mysmilie_51:! Call me a miserable grump (OK, "you're a miserable grump"), but I've been left with the unworthy feeling that this item might have been deliberately "pulled", and that the presenter's chatter, instead of cutting to the chase, was because he realised a mistake had been made. I am not a happy bunny with Gem Collector at present. Rant now over - but be warned if you're ever in the same situation as me.

I know just how you are feeling, on the Monday before Easter gems had an Moroccan amethyst special (which I chanced upon while channel hopping).
To cut a long story short I have been looking for something special and different for my DD's 21st birthday, so I was sat at my computer and when something came on air that A; I could afford and B: I knew she would like I pressed buy now and checked out using Pay pall well before the auction ended, I received an email thanking me for my purchase and my Pay pall account was debited., delivery was going to be in 4 to 6 working days, well with it being Easter and there being 2 bank holidays and a weekend I wasn't expecting it to arrive until the end of last week but no I checked my bank account and the money was back in it. I have heard NOTHING from Gems but surmise that as all of the items where very limited in numbers they over sold and never actually had one to sell me in the first place. I now have to find something different for my DD 21st.
I won't be buying from Gems they could have at least emailed me to say sorry.

madmax, I'm sorry to hear about your experience - much worse than mine, as you had a specific present in mind for someone - what a letdown! I had a similar experience with Gems jewellery auctions a few years ago; bid for a beautiful aquamarine ring during a Scott Worsfold hour (I always used to try to watch Scott, the best presenter they've ever had IMHO). Anyway, all went well, callcentre took my order over phone. The next day, I had a phone call from callcentre, to say I would not be getting the ring as they "could not find them in their warehouse", implying that a whole stock of these rings had gone walkabout, "mislaid" was I think the word! I was not pleased, I can tell you (what happened and if they ever "found" the "mislaid" rings, I never found out, but my unworthy suspicions were that they had 'pulled' them from auction (they'd not long started the American channel, and I wondered if they were earmarked for elsewhere and had been scheduled in error and someone suddenly twigged). Still, at least I got a phone call, and to be fair I have to say the operator was profusely apologetic - I felt a bit sorry for her, actually, having to do the dirty deed, even though I had a right moan at the time. But at least I did get a phone call, unlike you. Very, very poor - someone' s head should roll for that, as it's bad customer service. I find Gems fine most of the time, but they do get their moments, and I do have suspicions that they sometimes ' pull' items if they find they've made an error of some kind - maybe that was the case in your instance, who knows? Anyway, not good.

I know just how you are feeling, on the Monday before Easter gems had an Moroccan amethyst special (which I chanced upon while channel hopping).
To cut a long story short I have been looking for something special and different for my DD's 21st birthday, so I was sat at my computer and when something came on air that A; I could afford and B: I knew she would like I pressed buy now and checked out using Pay pall well before the auction ended, I received an email thanking me for my purchase and my Pay pall account was debited., delivery was going to be in 4 to 6 working days, well with it being Easter and there being 2 bank holidays and a weekend I wasn't expecting it to arrive until the end of last week but no I checked my bank account and the money was back in it. I have heard NOTHING from Gems but surmise that as all of the items where very limited in numbers they over sold and never actually had one to sell me in the first place. I now have to find something different for my DD 21st.
I won't be buying from Gems they could have at least emailed me to say sorry.

Last edited:
I should probably email customer services and complain, but that won't get me the ring I wanted and I don't need the added stress right now.
It amazes me at the total lack of customer care these companies have for the people who buy their items so keeping the company in business and them in jobs QVC aren't much better.
My only saving grace was that I hadn't told her about the ring as I wanted it to be a surprise.

Latest posts

Back