Lost my TJC virginity. Ohhh it was such an anti climax! My story....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
So I have a thing about sapphires. Rainbow sapphires. Their juicy colours, usually set in clever colour gradients justifiably demand high price tags.
So one day TJC were selling live on air, their interpretation of rainbow sapphire jewellery the item that caught my eye, a tennis bracelet.
Under £150, free p&p, first order 20% discount, what's not to like? Mouse click, job done..

4 days later huge box arrived. 7inch bracelet.. large box? whats going on?

Unboxing I noticed TJC had enclosed a free 'thank you' gift. A black & grey sarong - hence the large box. I immediately got to thinking 'could this gesture of goodwill be compensation for expected disappointment in my bracelet, or maybe they are just 'lovely' ??
Well the shawl/sarong was damn ugly for sure, might have used it as a duster.

The boxing of the bracelet was real pretty, black/purple, good presentation. Opening I noticed a bracelet curled up in the corner of the box doing a very bad impression of something faintly 'rainbow sapphire'

Lets think of its good points (((tumbleweed))) Ok for sure I was not expecting Judy Mayfield quality, but still.
ok, I'll be fair.. its construction was ok, clasp a little loose, links not very 'fluid' the stones were very poor. Lucid, cloudy, dull, pale (brush a gemstone in milk and let it dry) its colour gradient? well the yellows and oranges were ok but the middle section went horribly wrong
light whites next to navy reds.

Suffice to say its all been returned. The annoying thing is though, this 'free' unwanted sarong HAD to be returned with bracelet, which is understandable, but added weight and volume to its tracked costs back to TJC, which would have been £2.50 cheaper if it was just a bracelet being returned... money that could have gone towards their charity

So from my first TJC experience I've learned:
  • what you get might not be as impressive as what's broadcast under impressive star filters on your screen/monitor
  • 'thank you' gift will increase return costs if its a shawl or similar
The good?
  • free p&p over £100
  • frequent 20% off voucher codes - if they work that is.. my one on web order did ok

Sadly, their first test failed. I won't be ordering again from TJC, which is a shame because I was very happy to partake in the TJC 'one for one' programme

A buddie asked what TJC means.. I Was tempted to reply 'The Junk Closet' :)

As the saying goes... 'pay peanuts...'
monkeys.gif

Last edited:
Judy Mayfield.Now there's a blast from the past..I used to love her rainbow sapphire rings ,especially the crossover ones.Could never afford to buy ,but quality looked fantastic.IW seem to have given up on jewellery.

TJC seems to have gone downhill in the last few years ,selling to mass market,under £10 days twice weekly and branching out into scarves,bags ,ornaments.They have their 4 hour live channel on Sky from 2-6pm daily selling home ware ,but in reality it look like a variety of their products.

I used to like the high end gems set in gold but these shows rarely happen now.

Hi JR's Ego, sorry to hear about your off-putting experience. What a let-down. Thought I'd send a rundown of my own experience - apologies for the saga!

TJC have gone down the tubes over the past few years; if my experience in the past is anything to go by, it is still possible to find good items, but they are few and far between. My example: a random search of their "Diamonds" section on their website one rainy weekend in January this year revealed a half-carat G-H colour, I2 clarity 18 carat White Gold solitaire ring for £279.00 - reduced (so they said on the website) from £700 plus. One of the reasons it was cheap was, I think, that it was a smaller size - size M (I take the next size up, a size N). Nevertheless, for that money, I thought.....so bought it! When it arrived at my home, lo and behold the size M was a large size M, and fitted my size N ring finger perfectly. I checked the ring over VERY carefully with a jewellers loupe, as I was sure there would be a catch and the gold would be scratched, the diamond cloudy, black spots or something. All seemed OK, so I then took it to have it insurance valued - the valuation was considerably more than what I'd paid for it, and the jeweller's comment was words to the effect "that's a really nice diamond, good cut". I did not tell him where I'd got it, although there is a TJC mark near the hallmark and I'm pretty sure he spotted it, as he spent quite a while looking at the ring! A few years ago, I was also treated to a 9 carat white gold solitaire diamond pendant, and although the diamond is small (about 20 - 25 points) it sparkles brilliantly and is ice-white under a jewellers loupe, and no cloudy or milky bits, or black spots (although I've never had this one valued). So sometimes, you strike lucky - but I've had other stuff that I've returned, such as a ring with a chip in the stone and a broken gold prong, and a pendant where the gold setting was badly scratched. These bad experiences put me off and (apart from the ring I've mentioned above) I've bought very little.

I used to buy more from TJC a few years ago, and to be fair I found the quality good, well up to Gemporia standards, sometimes better. And I've still bought 'bits' from them, such as a set of 5 glitter pens in pretty colours (Swarovski crystals) at Christmas time, which the younger family members loved, also sparkly Teddy Bear pendants on silver chains (OK, the bears themselves weren't made of silver, but the neck chains were) - these bears + silver chain were £9.99 each, and have been worn and worn by my 5 and 6 year old nieces, they won't be parted from them. I've also found their Sterling silver pendant chains good value and not a bad silver weight, either - and for around £9.99, and they are one of the few places you can buy 24 and 30 inch chains. I've also bought plastic-strap everyday watches from them, and bought a set of four watches (all different coloured straps) for £12.99 for the 4 - I'm still wearing the first one, have been for 11 months now, and haven't changed the battery yet.

I don't like the really tacky stuff they sell now, and their concentration on scarves, bags, sarongs, belts, horrible so-called "ornaments" and tacky costume jewellery. Occasionally in an Under £10 day you'll see something that's made of silver with a genuine semi-precious gemstone in it - but this is rare. And it's obvious why they now want to be known as TJC, not The Jewellery Channel, because most of what they sell isn't jewellery! Things have got worse since their Head Buyer and Managing Director became so high-profile - the Head Buyer comes on screen every week, it seems. Years ago, you just saw the presenters and although some of them were pretty boring there were some good presenters (Vicki) who really explained about the source of the gemstones you were buying (but there was a bloke called Lee, who always seem to be telling you about going to Spain to visit his Mum or something equally long-winded and irrelevant, and which bore no resemblance to what he was selling....).

One tip: if you return a faulty item, insist they give you your postage and packing back - they are prone to reimbursing what you paid for the item, but not giving you back your p&p - this is not on, and with Special Delivery postage costing about £7 quid, you need to insist they return it (and your original p&p charges, too). Keep your postage charge receipt from Post Office and bombard them with e-mails until they credit you.

So I have a thing about sapphires. Rainbow sapphires. Their juicy colours, usually set in clever colour gradients justifiably demand high price tags.
So one day TJC were selling live on air, their interpretation of rainbow sapphire jewellery the item that caught my eye, a tennis bracelet.
Under £150, free p&p, first order 20% discount, what's not to like? Mouse click, job done..

4 days later huge box arrived. 7inch bracelet.. large box? whats going on?

Unboxing I noticed TJC had enclosed a free 'thank you' gift. A black & grey sarong - hence the large box. I immediately got to thinking 'could this gesture of goodwill be compensation for expected disappointment in my bracelet, or maybe they are just 'lovely' ??
Well the shawl/sarong was damn ugly for sure, might have used it as a duster.

The boxing of the bracelet was real pretty, black/purple, good presentation. Opening I noticed a bracelet curled up in the corner of the box doing a very bad impression of something faintly 'rainbow sapphire'

Lets think of its good points (((tumbleweed))) Ok for sure I was not expecting Judy Mayfield quality, but still.
ok, I'll be fair.. its construction was ok, clasp a little loose, links not very 'fluid' the stones were very poor. Lucid, cloudy, dull, pale (brush a gemstone in milk and let it dry) its colour gradient? well the yellows and oranges were ok but the middle section went horribly wrong
light whites next to navy reds.

Suffice to say its all been returned. The annoying thing is though, this 'free' unwanted sarong HAD to be returned with bracelet, which is understandable, but added weight and volume to its tracked costs back to TJC, which would have been £2.50 cheaper if it was just a bracelet being returned... money that could have gone towards their charity

So from my first TJC experience I've learned:
  • what you get might not be as impressive as what's broadcast under impressive star filters on your screen/monitor
  • 'thank you' gift will increase return costs if its a shawl or similar
The good?
  • free p&p over £100
  • frequent 20% off voucher codes - if they work that is.. my one on web order did ok

Sadly, their first test failed. I won't be ordering again from TJC, which is a shame because I was very happy to partake in the TJC 'one for one' programme

A buddie asked what TJC means.. I Was tempted to reply 'The Junk Closet' :)

As the saying goes... 'pay peanuts...'
monkeys.gif

Last edited:
I totally agree with all that has been said. I too lost my TJC virginity at the end of May for my 40th birthday. I treated myself to a tanzanite cluster ring, arrived all in good time, bit pale the stones but still stunning, light on silver, I expected it to weigh heavy on the finger, but I loved it.
Tried it on for size then like a good girl put it away til my 40th. When I put it on all agog on the birthday, a stone had fallen out and was luckily in the bag still. Was going to fix/get a replacement, but tbh other stones upon inspection seemed held in more by prayer than setting quality, so I sent it back. The Customer service was great though.
Watching more and more of it, well I was, as Ideal World is just a set of 8 products now so I cannot simply bear to watch unless Peter Simon is on with his inuendo which is genuinely cringey-funny.
What annoys me is how EVERY item on TJC "shouldn't be this price". I've watched hours and hours every day for at least 4 weeks now and I would say 96% of presentations involves how the item shouldn't be this low priced. Just infuriating now and obviously not genuine in my opinion, so stopped watching
Shame really as they have some great stuff on the website but I really don't trust the quality now :(

Cheesecake, don't these channels realise how off-putting it is for a 1st-time buyer to have this sort of experience? How likely are you, or JR's Ego, to buy from them again when this is the experience you get? Agree with you 100% about the constant refrain of......"shouldn't be this price".....do they honestly believe we think their business runs at a loss? Chloe Marshall is one of the worst presenters for this, everything is about "losing money". Fact is no business can run, buy stock and employ people if they continue to "lose money", don't treat us like idiots.

I totally agree with all that has been said. I too lost my TJC virginity at the end of May for my 40th birthday. I treated myself to a tanzanite cluster ring, arrived all in good time, bit pale the stones but still stunning, light on silver, I expected it to weigh heavy on the finger, but I loved it.
Tried it on for size then like a good girl put it away til my 40th. When I put it on all agog on the birthday, a stone had fallen out and was luckily in the bag still. Was going to fix/get a replacement, but tbh other stones upon inspection seemed held in more by prayer than setting quality, so I sent it back. The Customer service was great though.
Watching more and more of it, well I was, as Ideal World is just a set of 8 products now so I cannot simply bear to watch unless Peter Simon is on with his inuendo which is genuinely cringey-funny.
What annoys me is how EVERY item on TJC "shouldn't be this price". I've watched hours and hours every day for at least 4 weeks now and I would say 96% of presentations involves how the item shouldn't be this low priced. Just infuriating now and obviously not genuine in my opinion, so stopped watching
Shame really as they have some great stuff on the website but I really don't trust the quality now :(

I agree with everything that has been said. I usually buy on £9.99 day and wait for the free P&P offers as well, usually on a Friday. I have had plain silver chains which are great for pendants, and semi precious gemstone rings. I have some hoop earrings and leverbacks. I have been happy with my purchases, I cannot match the price anywhere else. I do not buy the expensive stuff as I either lose or break it. I am desperate to try some gold but it will probably be flimsy. Sadly my gold chains are all breaking now and it is expensive to replace them with the same quality. Some will not repair.

Story so far is that after 3 days TJC acknowleged my return via email stating 'payment will be refunded in due course' Thank God I used PayPal.. just in case.

Oh regarding presenters - sorry don't know names apart from one - Anna Black. Now I cannot understand how Anna can sing various songs live on air without being slapped by a copyright infringement, and be charged royalties.

What does make me laugh though Is when the Indian guy is on air, the blonde girl with him (Chloe?) looks scared out of her wits, almost too terrified to talk! Is the guy to TJC as Steve Bennet is to Gems? "DA BOSS" :mysmilie_13:

Judy Mayfield.Now there's a blast from the past..I used to love her rainbow sapphire rings ,especially the crossover ones.Could never afford to buy ,but quality looked fantastic.IW seem to have given up on jewellery.

TJC seems to have gone downhill in the last few years ,selling to mass market,under £10 days twice weekly and branching out into scarves,bags ,ornaments.They have their 4 hour live channel on Sky from 2-6pm daily selling home ware ,but in reality it look like a variety of their products.

I used to like the high end gems set in gold but these shows rarely happen now.

Me too. OOhhhh to dream about that crossover ring: Would you like to join me in salivating?
DROOL!!!!
It seems these could have been investment items, because I seem to remember the delightful crossover ring was about £599 at the time.

Just an update to say although I was quite disappointed with my first order, and being £5 out of pocket to return the lot, fair do's -- TJC refunded my initial purchase within three days of returning package to them

However I dont think I will risk ordering from TJC again - just in case I receive another complimentary 'duster' :)

:mysmilie_14:jennyrobo, if you want to try TJC for gold (and/or gold chains), my advice would be to wait for one of their Gold Days, which they have fairly regularly. Three years or so ago, I bought a good-size gold heart shape pendant for £29, and the gold has stayed bright and shiny, not tarnished in any way or gone dull. I freely admit I've not bought anything in recent years on Gold Day, but I've watched a bit of the Day and the stuff seems to fly out and is very competitively priced - and the last Gold Day I saw had loads of different-sized/lengths gold chains on offer. At the moment, I'm OK for gold chains, but like you I'm dreading when they start to wear out, as they are so expensive now. Heck, I've still got a good weight 20 inch gold chain I bought at Argos back in the late 1980's for £15!! What chance of that now?

I agree with everything that has been said. I usually buy on £9.99 day and wait for the free P&P offers as well, usually on a Friday. I have had plain silver chains which are great for pendants, and semi p recious gemstone rings. I have some hoop earrings and leverbacks. I have been happy with my purchases, I cannot match the price anywhere else. I do not buy the expensive stuff as I either lose or break it. I am desperate to try some gold but it will probably be flimsy. Sadly my gold chains are all breaking now and it is expensive to replace them with the same quality. Some will not repair.

Many thanks Historymystery I think I will bite the bullet. I will have a look on the next gold day. Have ordered a 9ct smoky quartz ring today as P&P is only £1.

Oh how I miss those days years back when their gold and diamonds were extraordinary with good price .I still have loads of pieces purchased then .I hardly watch now .I still have a piece from the online auction where I paid £50 for a 18 ct white gold circle pendant with pink diamonds .cant believe .now it's all tat ,most of the time .

Story so far is that after 3 days TJC acknowleged my return via email stating 'payment will be refunded in due course' Thank God I used PayPal.. just in case.

Oh regarding presenters - sorry don't know names apart from one - Anna Black. Now I cannot understand how Anna can sing various songs live on air without being slapped by a copyright infringement, and be charged royalties.

What does make me laugh though Is when the Indian guy is on air, the blonde girl with him (Chloe?) looks scared out of her wits, almost too terrified to talk! Is the guy to TJC as Steve Bennet is to Gems? "DA BOSS" :mysmilie_13:

the indian gentleman named ''amit'' is their head buyer.... though he seems to love being on screen and having his ego stroked more than actually doing his job.

Latest posts

Back