How stupid and gullible do you think viewers are?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Susie Wusie

Registered Shopper
I am really fed up of Chloe in particular, who whenever I look at TJC is frequently r
saying that they are going to get in trouble for bringing the prices so low and that they may not be here torrow when the managers find out, really ! we all believe that , not!!!! and often when they say they're being sold at less than what they cost the company, really so the lcompany is willing to reduce price below the cost price and lose money
of course they are, not!!!!
Please presenters just credit us with common sense

I don't think there are many people who do believe it. Perhaps newbies to this channel or shopping tv generally might, but after watching for a while - and noticing that every other selly telly channel presenter says the same thing - surely most people realise it's yet another sales ploy? I think the presenters run out of things to say, and just waffle at some points - however experienced a presenter you are, to say the same things 4, 5 or more times a week, (however often the presenter appears) must make you run on autopilot each time or talk garbage - most of them do a combination of both, some concentrating heavily on the garbage element. Chloe is a great one for the "hurry-up, you won't see this again", "I'm in trouble with the management, we're not meant to be this low" spiel. Fact is no company can run selling things at a loss, it just 'ain't going to happen - and TJC is no exception. Much more should be done to rein in these people, in my view: some of the claims they make are downright ridiculous. :talking:

People must believe it though or she wouldn't say it?

I imagine her as a milf in jodphurs and riding crop rather like something out of a Jilly Cooper novel. I hope her husband doesn't read these comments!

Some people must believe it when they first start watching.Chloe has been using this line for years .She often states she has argued with Amit about it and is lowering the price against his wishes.All because she is wonderful to us lucky bidders. Yeah right...Then she says she'll be called into the office for a telling off and we may not see her again.Blah blah.....I used to watch a lot but not so much since it went down market.I live in an area full of shops where I can buy the stuff they now sell very cheaply if I wanted to.

I imagine her as a milf in jodphurs and riding crop rather like something out of a Jilly Cooper novel. I hope her husband doesn't read these comments!

She annoys the hell out of me with her lisp...(yes I know she can't help it) but just a few minutes and I use the off button...

I don't think there are many people who do believe it. Perhaps newbies to this channel or shopping tv generally might, but after watching for a while - and noticing that every other selly telly channel presenter says the same thing - surely most people realise it's yet another sales ploy? I think the presenters run out of things to say, and just waffle at some points - however experienced a presenter you are, to say the same things 4, 5 or more times a week, (however often the presenter appears) must make you run on autopilot each time or talk garbage - most of them do a combination of both, some concentrating heavily on the garbage element. Chloe is a great one for the "hurry-up, you won't see this again", "I'm in trouble with the management, we're not meant to be this low" spiel. Fact is no company can run selling things at a loss, it just 'ain't going to happen - and TJC is no exception. Much more should be done to rein in these people, in my view: some of the claims they make are downright ridiculous. :talking:

my personal favourite is ''how are we going to keep the doors open/lights on''

it's almost like it's become dirty on shopping tv to make a profit. I personally hate being told I'm practically robbing them when I know i'm not.

I actually made a complaint to the Advertising Standards Agency about them doing this. TJC came back with the most ridiculous response. I wholeheartedly agreed that it is stupid and patronising to viewers. Let's face it, Amit Agrewal is in charge and Colin Wagstaffe has some clout. The other presenters are but mere baubles on the tree. Look at the online reviews and you will see that they sell substandard items made in India very cheaply. Their customer service is shocking! I'm sick of shouty old Chloe Marshall trying to seem posh. She's just awful, but even worse is Caroline Linsday with her scratchy voice saying "Come on! Well done! Well done!" every few minutes.

So that's were Caroline Lindsay turned up, the woman who can make a face with a smacked arse look positively radiant. On Bid everything that she sold she has, or her mum has, or her friend has, or she was going to buy, or her mum was going to buy or her fiend was going to buy, or she loves, or her mum loves or her friend loves, every single thing. She's an absolutely awful presenter.

Yes it would be interesting to know what TJCs response was..........

The issue of how rare gems are is becoming a farce it's something that bugs me .Maybe I should complain.

Everything is in limited supplies ,mines are closed or soon to close etc and this is being said about many stones now,the inference being they will become collectors items and worth a lot of money .

I saw a presenter recently state this about a newly discoverd gem. She stated the gem was rarer than diamonds so roll up and get yours before they run out ..................

Can't remember which channel ,but they are all at it.

It's like QVC, while the shameless Debbie Flint was plugging the medical detection dogs because the Northern Nights guest mentioned her visually impaired daughter, she goes on to say this winter is going to be the worst yet, it'll be absolutely freezing! yep they said the same last year every time they were flogging bedding, fleeces, heaters. The best though was when she said "register your password, if a bargain comes a long you don't want to miss it"...........ha! "If" not when. All this in the two minutes I watched.

Awful presenter, and she's been there a while now so presumably they are happy with her. She reminds me of the gym mistress in the original "St Trinian's" films (the late lamented Joyce Grenfell, I think it was, but Joyce was funny) - I keep waiting for her to yell "keep up, now, girls, come along". Her voice takes on a quite belligerent tone if sales are not moving fast enough. She's guaranteed to get me switching over, can't stand it when they adopt that hectoring tone of voice.

So that's were Caroline Lindsay turned up, the woman who can make a face with a smacked arse look positively radiant. On Bid everything that she sold she has, or her mum has, or her friend has, or she was going to buy, or her mum was going to buy or her fiend was going to buy, or she loves, or her mum loves or her friend loves, every single thing. She's an absolutely awful presenter.

Awful presenter, and she's been there a while now so presumably they are happy with her. She reminds me of the gym mistress in the original "St Trinian's" films (the late lamented Joyce Grenfell, I think it was, but Joyce was funny) - I keep waiting for her to yell "keep up, now, girls, come along". Her voice takes on a quite belligerent tone if sales are not moving fast enough. She's guaranteed to get me switching over, can't stand it when they adopt that hectoring tone of voice.

Oh I agree, with that pained expression trying to get over how amazing the product is while pleading "please buy yours" smacks of utter total desperation. She's made herself totally indispensable to QVC by being a walking advert for them, while promoting them and herself at the same time, and that to them is worth more than what any customer thinks of her.

I haven't seen her on TJC for a while. She used to be on in the mornings but I haven't seen her lately. She was still on their website the last time I looked. I am always curious about where presenters end up

I haven't seen her on TJC for a while. She used to be on in the mornings but I haven't seen her lately. She was still on their website the last time I looked. I am always curious about where presenters end up

Just had a quick look and she is on there this afternoon...she had been abroad for a few weeks. Still as dreary as ever...

Yeah, me too! I tend to assume they've jumped ship (let's face it, so many of them have in their time!). I think TJC like swopping the presenters around after a while, Stacey (now on maternity leave) used to be on regularly on Saturday nights, she made a big thing about it being a regular slot for her for the future, then suddenly she disappeared. Only one who doesn't irritate me at present on there is Del Gibbons (Chris St Valery isn't bad, but they seem to put some really tattier than usual cheap stuff when he's on, I feel a bit sorry for him, tbh).

I'm still occasionally flicking to Hochanda, but not seen Matt McNamara, ex Gems, wonder if he's given up in despair.

Yes it would be interesting to know what TJCs response was..........

The issue of how rare gems are is becoming a farce it's something that bugs me .Maybe I should complain.

Everything is in limited supplies ,mines are closed or soon to close etc and this is being said about many stones now,the inference being they will become collectors items and worth a lot of money .

I saw a presenter recently state this about a newly discoverd gem. She stated the gem was rarer than diamonds so roll up and get yours before they run out ..................

Can't remember which channel ,but they are all at it.

Dear Mr,

Thank you for contacting the ASA.

I understand you had raised concerns regarding a presentation for a bracelet, specifically:

1. That the product was not hallmarked by one of the four UK Assay offices as claimed; and

2. Claims that the price of the product was being reduced against the wishes of senior management were misleading.

In relation to your first concern, we have assessed the ad and the complaint and we considered that you had made a valid point. We considered that the ad was likely to mislead because it was not hallmarked by one of the four UK Assay offices. As this appeared to be a relatively clear breach, instead of initiating a formal investigation and with a view to acting quickly, we informed the advertiser of the complaint and they have assured us that similar issues do not arise in their future similar marketing communication. We have also received a written assurance from them to that effect.

We consider that the issue is now resolved and we will be closing our file. However, basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on Wednesday 10 June 2015.

In relation to your second concern, we note that the presentation you’ve identified doesn’t include the claims that you’ve referred to specifically (relating to having to sit on the naughty step etc), however we understand from the advertiser that they do make on-the-spot decisions regarding the lowest price that a product can be sold at, sometimes without prior agreement from senior management. We do appreciate your concerns on this point however given the explanation and assurances provided from the advertiser, we do not propose to take further action in relation to this point.

Many thanks again for contacting us with your concerns.

Kind regards,

David Humber

David Humber
Complaints Executive
Direct line 020 7492 2248

Thanks for posting .So no more than a slap on the wrist .....Well done for complaining though.At least they have been made aware their manipulations are not going unnoticed.

If its all above board and agreed with management presenters can slash prices,why does Chloe give the impression she is at loggerheads with mangement and might be dismissed for it? I heard her say this many times.

I used to watch whole shows when they sold good quality jewellery but these days hardly bother.Maybe i'll tune in to Chloe who is the main offender and see if she is still doing it (if I can stand it )

Julius, well done you for taking it up with ASA. As we know, ASA have few "teeth" to impose tough sanctions, but it lets ASA and TJC know that people are 'on their case', which can only be a good thing. I wish they'd stop some of this claptrap presenters churn out, it's utterly insulting to the intelligence.

Dear Mr,

Thank you for contacting the ASA.

I understand you had raised concerns regarding a presentation for a bracelet, specifically:

1. That the product was not hallmarked by one of the four UK Assay offices as claimed; and

2. Claims that the price of the product was being reduced against the wishes of senior management were misleading.

In relation to your first concern, we have assessed the ad and the complaint and we considered that you had made a valid point. We considered that the ad was likely to mislead because it was not hallmarked by one of the four UK Assay offices. As this appeared to be a relatively clear breach, instead of initiating a formal investigation and with a view to acting quickly, we informed the advertiser of the complaint and they have assured us that similar issues do not arise in their future similar marketing communication. We have also received a written assurance from them to that effect.

We consider that the issue is now resolved and we will be closing our file. However, basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on Wednesday 10 June 2015.

In relation to your second concern, we note that the presentation you’ve identified doesn’t include the claims that you’ve referred to specifically (relating to having to sit on the naughty step etc), however we understand from the advertiser that they do make on-the-spot decisions regarding the lowest price that a product can be sold at, sometimes without prior agreement from senior management. We do appreciate your concerns on this point however given the explanation and assurances provided from the advertiser, we do not propose to take further action in relation to this point.

Many thanks again for contacting us with your concerns.

Kind regards,

David Humber

David Humber
Complaints Executive
Direct line 020 7492 2248

Latest posts

Back