Matt MacNamara leaving Gems TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
On the Gem Collector show yesterday, Matt McNamara said that today (Sunday) will be his last day - he is leaving Gemporia after working there for 11 years! Personally, I'm sorry that yet another competent, long-serving and very pleasant presenter is leaving - what is going on with that place? Matt is always calm, knowledgeable about the stones he's selling and never shouty - this is the reason why I've liked his shows (have to say I prefer the male presenters, as they are c---a---l---m - and tell you the facts, unlike the screechers). Gems have had a lot of new presenters recently, all female (wonder why?), and it will take time for them to settle in, I know, but the Company are definitely the poorer for having lost long-serving and capable presenters like Scott Worsfold, Fiona Egan - and now Matt. :down:

On the Gem Collector show yesterday, Matt McNamara said that today (Sunday) will be his last day - he is leaving Gemporia after working there for 11 years! Personally, I'm sorry that yet another competent, long-serving and very pleasant presenter is leaving - what is going on with that place? Matt is always calm, knowledgeable about the stones he's selling and never shouty - this is the reason why I've liked his shows (have to say I prefer the male presenters, as they are c---a---l---m - and tell you the facts, unlike the screechers). Gems have had a lot of new presenters recently, all female (wonder why?), and it will take time for them to settle in, I know, but the Company are definitely the poorer for having lost long-serving and capable presenters like Scott Worsfold, Fiona Egan - and now Matt. :down:

I agree, I remember him first starting out and thought then what a good presenter he was compared to all the other cheesy ones, it's a shame that yet another's ones gone. I think they know shopping channels are on borrowed time now, time to jump ship.

Think you're right about him getting out while the going's good. While I was watching yesterday, he had a lot of good luck messages - and people asking where he's off to - but he wouldn't be drawn on the subject (probably not allowed to, under his contract). Hope he hasn't made the big mistake of going to either Rocks & Co. or TJC (or, horror of horrors, Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Let's hope he's making a clean break - because as you've rightly said, the days of these channels appear to be numbered.

I agree, I remember him first starting out and thought then what a good presenter he was compared to all the other cheesy ones, it's a shame that yet another's ones gone. I think they know shopping channels are on borrowed time now, time to jump ship.

Yeah History hope he's gone on to better things...........gawd imagine if the poor thing ended up at Q, he'd go from likeable and trustworthy to disliked and disingenuous.

glitterbug, sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here...but what's (or who's) Hochanda? Haven't had a chance to google it yet! PS: As you were:, I've just looked it up and slotted my brain cells back in gear! Really hope he does well, he was a decent presenter at Gems, and in my opinion probably under-rated by the Gems Management. Just as another PS to this, I was watching an hour of Gem Collector this afternoon, and the presenter who was doing Matt's old programme slot (Adele) mentioned that she didn't even know Matt was leaving!!! She praised him, saying what a nice guy he was to work with, how helpful, and how sorry she was to find out he'd gone! Hmmm, I wonder if he was glad to go? It's sad really, as he'd been there a lot of years - but perhaps he wanted a low-key exit, a lot of people like to just go when they've made up their mind.

Did I see that Matt is joining Hochanda??????

Last edited:
I suspect that after so long with one organisation Matt may see this as an opportunity to do something new in a start up operation. I have watched him - and bought from him - for many years. I don't do crafting but may look in to see how he gets on. I think low-key exits are the thing in tele-selling except for maternity leave!

I think you are right about the low-key departures. After all, they don't want anyone thinking anything is less than perfect in Selly Telly Land, do they? I sincerely hope Matt does well, too, but I think Gems need to look to their laurels, as they are losing far too many established presenters (and Adele, who was doing Matt's old Gem Collector hour, mentioned that she is 8 months pregnant, so she'll be going on maternity leave soon!!). Gems are in trouble if they are relying too much on the newbies - some of them are struggling.

I suspect that after so long with one organisation Matt may see this as an opportunity to do something new in a start up operation. I have watched him - and bought from him - for many years. I don't do crafting but may look in to see how he gets on. I think low-key exits are the thing in tele-selling except for maternity leave!

Latest posts

Back