Update to my post " carat weight not as advertised"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

chicken-licken

Registered Shopper
Here's what happened next. I was sent a new authenticity card showing the weights exactly as advertised and I accepted this, although still with a niggling feeling that the tanzanite looked smaller than I expected, but it's difficult to compare carat weights when the cuts are different , and this was a trilliant cut. I was then rung up by TJC asking for the ring back to be assayed and they sent a courier for it. Today I was rung again and it turns out I was right---the tanzanite is only 0.8 carats, 20% less than stated, and no longer that magic one carat for an investment piece. They said that the manufacturers average out all the stones to arrive at a stated carat weight, so presumably some lucky souls out there have got a lovely big stone (really?) while other poor souls like me got the mucky end of the stick! I was offered £50 as a rebate but have asked for my money back. I'm still left with a nasty taste in my mouth, but thank goodness my suspicious mind made me persevere. I wonder if any other purchasers of "investment" pieces will read this and check their details? I HOPE SO.

Thanks for the update. Good that you persevered with your gut instinct. its difficult judging carats and sizings not least because of the magnification used on screen especially with jewellery. Wonder how many people have got less than they expected and accepted it.

Latest posts

Back