Sensitive skin - reacting to everything!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Fab advice already. I would also recommend aqueous cream to ditch the soap for the time being until things have settled.

When I had a horrid outbreak of dermatitis earlier this year I tried aqueous cream. My doctor said one of the main advantages of this is that it is cheap so can be used liberally but they now recommend Aquamax cream because it is even more hydrating. You can buy it over the counter - around £7 for 500g tub- and you can use it as a cleanser (soap substitute) and as a moisturiser. That and cortisone creams eventually calmed my condition.

Do try your doctor as they might be able to refer you to a dermatologist. Best of luck - having a flare-up face is no fun so I hope you find a solution.

Fab advice already. I would also recommend aqueous cream to ditch the soap for the time being until things have settled. I had a bad reaction to shampoo and I have very sensitive skin. Rozex was prescribed for Rosacea as my skin developed angry areas and needed an antibiotic treatment, this cream worked like a magic wand for me. Also, wear gloves in bed, white thin cotton manicure ones, to prevent putting hand cream on your face whilst you are sleeping. Lanolin, Aloe Vera, mineral oils and perfumes are my reactive culprits. Hope you find yours very quickly.

You have to be careful with aqueous cream. It contains sodium lauryl sulfate (not the same as sodium laureth sulfate, but still a known skin irritant).

Caroline Hirons' blog is a useful source of excellent advice:

http://www.carolinehirons.com/2015/09/beauty-myths-no16-active-vs-inactive.html
http://www.carolinehirons.com/2012/03/ingredients-to-list-or-not-to-list.html
http://www.carolinehirons.com/2015/09/quick-quides-how-to-read-ingredients.html

When I had a horrid outbreak of dermatitis earlier this year I tried aqueous cream. My doctor said one of the main advantages of this is that it is cheap so can be used liberally but they now recommend Aquamax cream because it is even more hydrating. You can buy it over the counter - around £7 for 500g tub- and you can use it as a cleanser (soap substitute) and as a moisturiser. That and cortisone creams eventually calmed my condition.

Do try your doctor as they might be able to refer you to a dermatologist. Best of luck - having a flare-up face is no fun so I hope you find a solution.

I used to use Fucidin H (with HydroCortisone) from my GP for dermatitis on my hands, and later noticed that Alpha H Age delay Hand Cream manages the condition as well if not better, and as a lighter version when the healing already took place I use Liquid Gold every other night. I'm now all clear but noticed that it's the washing up liquid that brings it on so I need to remember to wear the rubber gloves.

You have to be careful with aqueous cream. It contains sodium lauryl sulfate (not the same as sodium laureth sulfate, but still a known skin irritant).

Caroline Hirons' blog is a useful source of excellent advice:

http://www.carolinehirons.com/2015/09/beauty-myths-no16-active-vs-inactive.html
http://www.carolinehirons.com/2012/03/ingredients-to-list-or-not-to-list.html
http://www.carolinehirons.com/2015/09/quick-quides-how-to-read-ingredients.html

tata maymorgan, was familiar with this site,
but not seen info in the last link,
and have learned quite a bit more than i knew... nice one :mysmilie_59:

you may want to try Ecover Washing Up Liquid also
seems to be free of all the major irritants, as far as i know

I found Faith in Nature washing up liquid to be one of the best.

I've just quickly checked online and it doesn't seem to be sold on High Street as far as I can tell. Would you recommend a particular place to buy it from Vienna?

just came across this http://www.mypure.co.uk/organic-nat...y-organic-citrus-twist-mild-washing-up-liquid
had some lovely things from mypure.co.uk - free delivery too,
only yesterday got a nice natural konjac sponge from them and some natural Seabuckthorn oil and they included a nice sample of Madara Micellar Water

it is a good selection and all conform to their purity promise : http://www.mypure.co.uk/promise (if you don't know it already ...) and they got 20% off everything at the mo

Faith in Nature, seen it in my health food shop and Holland & Barrett, but never tried it
H&B have a buy one, get one half price at the mo on everything,
and i might try the Faith in Nature Bathfoam, now you got me interested :mysmilie_14:

I've just quickly checked online and it doesn't seem to be sold on High Street as far as I can tell. Would you recommend a particular place to buy it from Vienna?

I bought a 5 litre bottle off Ebay but the brand do a smaller sized bottle. If you google there`ll be many sites who sell it, try a smaller bottle first but if you like it, it really works out much much cheaper to buy a 5 litre and decant.

For skin that has started reacting to everything, I suggest going to the doctors and getting a referral to a dermatologist pronto. Trialling different products whilst your skin is so sore may cause further sensitivities to new products and ultimately limit the options open to you.
As a stop gap, go to a good pharmacist and seek their advice, they may be able to mix you something to use in the meantime, but as maymorganlondon says, you need to identify the cause of your problems asap.
Beware of proprietary items like E45 and aqueous cream, they can contain things such as lanolin which may cause you further problems.
(I speak as a former dermatology nurse, and I believe forum member Ellaaa is also, so she may come along with some more current advice).

I echo other posts recommending a visit to the doctors and a referral to a dermatologist. I had a skin reaction many years, it was horrible - very itchy and sore and, of course, I made it worse when I scratched it.

I went to see a dermatologist and had a skin patch test, where you are tested for common chemicals known to cause allergy (such as nickel in metals, fragrances & other cosmetic ingredients, rubber chemicals found in gloves, etc) together with additional allergens related to your specific problem e.g. work chemicals or extra ingredients of cosmetics or treatments. Each chemical is applied to a disc, and then taped to your back in strips. You cannot wash that area for about 48 hours or so - then you go back to see the dermatologist and see what, if anything, you have reacted to. If you think it maybe something you are using you can take that with you and they will test that too.

I found out what I was allergic to (plus cat and dog hair which I already knew about), and had to stop using that ingredient. Unfortunately, it is in many things, and at first because ingredient listings were not then on shampoos, etc, I was only able to use a few items that I knew were safe. The ingredient I was allergic to is in lots of things so it was well worth my finding out what I was allergic to.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

I can only echo what has been said above. Don't give your skin more stress than it can cope with and ask for a dermatology referral.

Thank you all so much for your help. I've stopped using everything and have just used plain water this morning followed by Waitrose baby bottom butter until I can get to the Dr's. I've been out this morning and bought some fragrance free detergent so I'm doing a load of washing.

I've found the Faith in Nature on their own website and also ethicalsuperstore so will have a look into this too.

I just wanted to let you all know that I do appreciate the time you have taken to comment on this post. :happy:

Thank you all so much for your help. I've stopped using everything and have just used plain water this morning followed by Waitrose baby bottom butter until I can get to the Dr's. I've been out this morning and bought some fragrance free detergent so I'm doing a load of washing.

I've found the Faith in Nature on their own website and also ethicalsuperstore so will have a look into this too.

I just wanted to let you all know that I do appreciate the time you have taken to comment on this post. :happy:

Hi again Tyson

To be on the safe side with your laundry - you could maybe do an extra rinse cycle. Generally, washing machines are not super-efficient at rinsing out all the residue of washing powder. If you put fabric conditioner - even the gentlest can irritate your skin, so try not to use that after rinsing.

Please bear in mind that natural or pure (mostly meaningless labels - even organic doesn't necessarily mean what you'd like to think it does) doesn't necessarily mean less irritating - you may find, after tests, that you are better with a more "man-made" rather than natural range of products... just keep an open mind, and keep it simple, and avoid spending any serious money until after you've found out why your reacting.

Last edited:
I'm not sensitive to washing powders but just to be on safe side, I run my washing again after the end of the washing cycle on 'short cycle + high water level' and water only.

Latest posts

Back