Sensitive skin - reacting to everything!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

Tyson

Guest Shopper
Hello,

I've tried everything Liz Earle, Decleor, SBC, Elemis and more recently Kiehls Centella range etc and my skin is reacting to everything. Is there anything anyone can recommend? I was going to go to one of the counters in town, but know they'll push product onto on me. I was hoping you could help.

Thank you!

I would go to Boots or something like that to get Avène http://www.avene.co.uk/ or La Roche-Posay http://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/United-Kingdom/beauty/home-h.aspx . They have creams, cleansers etc. for sensitive skin, they also have (usually) plenty of samples if you want to try first.

Edit:
As other members sugested Hauschke and other organic brands: If your skin is really sensitive and reacts to nearly everything, I would be careful with organic stuff because of the essential oils in there which can also be a reason for certain reactions. The two brands I recommend may be not as exciting as some others, but they calm your skin and don't contain essential oils.

Last edited:
also Dr Hauschka, Neals Yards Organics, Lavera
or just go down to your local Health Food shop (if you have one local to you)

Forget buying from QVC. It sounds as if you need a brand specific for your sensitivity so I`d say either go to Boots or similar, ask their Beauty counter assstants for some sample pots ( they have them ) and then browse La Roche Posay and Avene and take samples from them. Stick to as few items on your face as possible, literally something to clean and something to moisturise, forget serums or other things. Both brands are for very sensitive skins.
Or buy a travel kit of Weleda Almond range which is fantastic for sensitive skin. It has no nasties in it whatsoever. My skin once flared up big time and everything just made it worse, I looked as if I`d been burned and the Weleda almond range calmed it down and really soothed it.
http://www.my-dermacenter.com/en-uk/brands/la-roche-posay/?gclid=CL7L9aD5hcgCFQmNGwoduu8D4A
http://www.avene.co.uk/skincare-routines/skin-type/routine-for-allergic-skin
http://www.weleda.co.uk/shop-by-plant/almond/icat/almondp

Here`s the almond starter kit, I got mine from Amazon but its currently out of stock on there.
http://www.everfree.co.uk/almond-facial-care-starter-kit

Hi Tyson, I use E45 cream for nearly all moisturising needs, including face and neck (and feet!). E45 has never irritated my skin in any way, the only thing that ever has irritated my skin was an eye serum used some time ago, so I never buy these, and never use E45 under eyes, just pat in a small amount on the bone at the side of the eye and forehead between the eye area. I vary using E45 with using Nivea, which I've used for many years, following Mum's example (and she had lovely skin). Nivea has never been a problem, but it does contain a scented ingredient, so it may not be suitable for your sensitive skin. A friend of mine swears by the Simple range of products; I haven't tried these so no personal experience. Hope you find a solution to your problem soon - I do sympathise, I know from my experience with the eye serum how horrible it can be if your skin reacts against something - and that was more or less a one-off, so it's worse for you. I'm sure others on here will have lots of ideas, though.

Hello, I've tried everything Liz Earle, Decleor, SBC, Elemis and more recently Kiehls Centella range etc and my skin is reacting to everything. Is there anything anyone can recommend? I was going to go to one of the counters in town, but know they'll push product onto on me. I was hoping you could help.

Thank you!

Forget buying from QVC. It sounds as if you need a brand specific for your sensitivity so I`d say either go to Boots or similar, ask their Beauty counter assstants for some sample pots ( they have them ) and then browse La Roche Posay and Avene and take samples from them. Stick to as few items on your face as possible, literally something to clean and something to moisturise, forget serums or other things. Both brands are for very sensitive skins.
Or buy a travel kit of Weleda Almond range which is fantastic for sensitive skin. It has no nasties in it whatsoever. My skin once flared up big time and everything just made it worse, I looked as if I`d been burned and the Weleda almond range calmed it down and really soothed it.
http://www.my-dermacenter.com/en-uk/brands/la-roche-posay/?gclid=CL7L9aD5hcgCFQmNGwoduu8D4A
http://www.avene.co.uk/skincare-routines/skin-type/routine-for-allergic-skin
http://www.weleda.co.uk/shop-by-plant/almond/icat/almondp

Right, the almond range from Weleda is also very good, assuming that Tyson wants an organic brand.

Last edited:
many people have reacted to Methylisothiazolinone in recent years (google it)
Elemis uses it incl in the Pro Radiance Cleanser

SBC uses a lot of Alcohol in their products, hence i don't go there either

also many people react to certain essential oils, one or more hence Decleor can be tricky for some

the other thing is that some 'nasties ' have a cumulative effect
i.e. not like an allergic reaction
and you can use product for a while and one day to the next, sensitivity can occur i.e. a sort of toxin build up

and there is of course the hormonal changes stuff too

avoid essential oils, perfumes and buy more basic brands. usually the high street chemist brands dont have too many ingredients. the less the better. all the brands you have bought are well known for causing allergic reactions.all piled high with essential oils which even though they small nice dont do very much apart from moisturise. and nivea can do that. i am using lacura renew face cream from aldi under £2 and its very nice. it suits my not too dry skin very well. no perfume and no reactions. i react badly to all the ones you sated. even liz earle all her face care brings me out in spots and i dont have exzema

Hello,

I've tried everything Liz Earle, Decleor, SBC, Elemis and more recently Kiehls Centella range etc and my skin is reacting to everything. Is there anything anyone can recommend? I was going to go to one of the counters in town, but know they'll push product onto on me. I was hoping you could help.

Thank you!

Long answer - sorry - don't go buying anything new immediately!

Liz Earle, Decleor and Elemis use essential oils extensively, SBC use alcohol in their gels.

If you can't pinpoint what it is you might be best to get to your GP and get referred to a dermatologist.

In the meantime, you should use as little as possible on your skin and hair. Avoid known irritants including sodium laureth sulfate (present in a lot of foaming cleansers, bath and shower products, shampoos, handwashes), sodium lauryl sulfate (present in aqueous cream and often prescribed), alcohol, essential oils, menthol, caffeine, scrubs, lanolin...

When you wash your hair, keep your hair away from your face and don't let the water or wet hair hit your face.
Wear rubber or vinyl gloves when doing any cleaning or washing as any chemical traces could transfer to your face when you touch it.

Boil wash any flannels, cloths and towels as well as bedlinen you put near your skin - and use the mildest unperfumed washing soap you can find.

Remember that it's not only what you actively put on your skin that could be upsetting it, but all the other things your skin comes into contact with indirectly.

Also, have a look at your diet. Are you eating or drinking anything which could be causing your skin to react.

You should also look carefully at any makeup you use... for example the mineral-based foundations may contain compounds that cause problems.

For the time being you should keep your routine as simple as possible and using as few products as possible, just to keep your skin clean and comfortable. I'd suggest just a cleanser and a moisturiser for now.

A friend of mine experienced similar problems after years of using Liz Earle and Elemis without any problems, and was advised to try this approach. If you're only using 2 products, you can see if they are reaction-free before trying anything else.

You might find ranges like Avene, Alpha-H or Radical could help you... but don't be pursuaded to buy anything unless you've trialled them. Ask for samples, then patch test them in an inconspicuous area. Side of neck below ear is good (close to face and the skin will be more similar to your face skin). Test for 24 - 48 hours and don't wash that area during testing (obviously remove it if it causes a reaction).

Keep a note of what you've tried, and make sure you also list the ones you don't get on with (including current products) as well as the ones you do. Do your research about the ingredients - including contacting the brand if you can't find the information you need. You're looking for patterns - common ingredients that are consistently giving you a reaction.

Don't forget to do your homework on all the products which regularly come in contact with your skin - shampoos, conditioners and other hair treatments (sprays, mousses, waxes etc); bath oils, foams, shower gels, scrubs; your washing powder/liquid and conditioner for your laundry; handwashes and hand creams; body lotions; deodorants... anything at all, basically.

At this stage you can't rule anything out as the potential culprit.

It could equally be what you eat/drink as unfortunately we can all develop allergies at any age, some of which can make your skin far more reactive than you are used to.

Hope some of this helps - it's utterly miserable having your skin misbehave.

Last edited:
third Weleda also
and good advice from Vienna about going back to basics

La Roche Posay as something i have been wanting to try myself
so good to hear recommendations (good prices on feelunique also)

the other thing is using a pure plant oil
i'd recommend cold pressed Rosehip oil, it is very healing, soothing and mosturising
i'd chose to buy from a brand like Trilogy, Pai or Neals Yard for purity

I have rosacea and I would also say to avoid essential oils although I have found SBC Propolis has been less of an irritant than most.

I would go for something bland like Avene which has a specific range for redness or La Roche Posay -they both do a nice thermal water spray. I also like Dr Organics Dead Sea Minerals from Holland and Barrett.

It would help if you knew exactly what is causing your skin to go nuts.

I have mild roseaca and know rose is a big no, enzymes or anything with acids.

There is a brand I used to use when my skin went nuts. Pure Argan Oil, no scent or other ingredients in it. If you ebay Billy in the tree was the seller. Essential was a brand I bought very very gentle, its online only from their own site. But I would just wash my face in luke warm water. If you skin is inflamed, go to your doctor you might need a steroid cream.

I am coming to the end of a 3 month course of antibiotics as my roseaca was going nuts in one place only but nothing was working and the doctor decided to try the antibiotics. It took 6 weeks of taking them for it to settle down in the beginning.

great input from Maymorgan
and i echo the 'finding the culprit'
it is one thing managing the symptoms
however, your skin/body is trying to tell you something important
try to see if you can tune in to what it is saying
if you see what i mean
best of luck

p.s. luckily, there is lots of choice out there with no nasties
but if i had issues right now, my first emergency port of call would be Pai ...

Just wanted to add - if you're looking for ideas about what to do with your diet - maybe try researching anti-inflammatory diet... might be a good starting point.

Fab advice already. I would also recommend aqueous cream to ditch the soap for the time being until things have settled. I had a bad reaction to shampoo and I have very sensitive skin. Rozex was prescribed for Rosacea as my skin developed angry areas and needed an antibiotic treatment, this cream worked like a magic wand for me. Also, wear gloves in bed, white thin cotton manicure ones, to prevent putting hand cream on your face whilst you are sleeping. Lanolin, Aloe Vera, mineral oils and perfumes are my reactive culprits. Hope you find yours very quickly.

When I have had problems in the past I have used plain water, and found Avene cream for senstive skin calmed it down.

Latest posts

Back