Refurbished

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sheebs

Registered Shopper
Hello all, my first post here though I have been a visitor here for the past year or so.

I have bought many items from Gems and overall been very pleased, tonight I took a look at their online auctions, they had an hour of what they called 'refurbished' jewellery. I messaged the presenter for clarification on what that meant and his response was really quite vague, so I asked him again for clarification as to if the jewellery had been refurbished or if it was being sold with the original flaw. He confirmed that no repairs were made on any of the items.

How can they all it refurbished if all they do is take a damaged return and stick it into an online auction? Yes he did state if there was a flaw, but many of the items he showed so fleetingly there was no opportunity to even have a look. It has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as I really believed I could trust this company.

I've never seen refurbished jewellery on Gems but the presenters should surely state the condition of each piece, as well as giving an explanation at the start of the programme. From what you are saying the presenter sounds evasive on key issues. I have noticed this when they sell diamonds as presenters rarely give the clarity of the stones. They emphasise the G - H colour and rely on the light box to enhance the stones. I notice that we get less time to look at an item on the presenter's hand. It sounds as though it's the same with the refurbs.

I thought they just sent the returns out again?

I know the ladies on here years back used to order two or three of each item to see which was the best ,then returned the ones they did not want. The rings had tags one which you could not take off unless keeping, earrings came in bags again you could not open unless keeping.

Wonder if its jewellery which has broken and they have repaired??

The refurb shows are on The Lounge section online. Every show I've watched the presenter clearly states what is wrong with the jewellery, ie chip, scratch etc. I can't see what's wrong, they are telling you what is wrong with the jewellery. It is not being sold as new and perfect.

Tilly, if you click on the "Details" box underneath the on-screen item of jewellery being auctioned, a drop down menu of information will appear, which includes the stones in the item you are looking at. If it shows a chevron (or arrow) shape next to "diamond(s)", click on that and it'll take you into a sub-menu - often you'll find it shows the clarity as "I3" on the lower priced pieces (the higher priced ones are usually I1/I2). I'm not saying they include this information for every single piece of diamond jewellery they sell, because they don't, but it's worth a look - otherwise, ring and ask the Callcentre, they should have the info. It's poor that the presenter was vague about what is meant by "refurbished" (why not call them reduced price items or something similar?). In everyday life, refurb. usually denotes that an item has had work done/an overhaul and that's why it's being sold cheap - if all they've done is wipe a cloth over the item, and the original flaw is still there, then how can it be refurbished? To be fair, although I rarely watch anything on the refurb shows, I have heard them clearly describe a flaw or fault - certainly when either Drew Nicholls or Nick Davies are presenting.
I've never seen refurbished jewellery on Gems but the presenters should surely state the condition of each piece, as well as giving an explanation at the start of the programme. From what you are saying the presenter sounds evasive on key issues. I have noticed this when they sell diamonds as presenters rarely give the clarity of the stones. They emphasise the G - H colour and rely on the light box to enhance the stones. I notice that we get less time to look at an item on the presenter's hand. It sounds as though it's the same with the refurbs.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. New poster here although I have read a few posts as I am becoming disillusioned with Gemporia lately and agree with all the posters. Seems to me there are more and more refurbished hours on the lounge. Has anyone else noticed this?
Presenters never seem to see inclusion or chip either... or blatant mismatch of gems. Big scratch? lets turn it away from the glare of the camera!
Once I ordered one of those mystery bags with ring, chain etc... the ring was clearly flawed as the band was uneven. Made me wonder about all these goody bags they sell.
Is Iwai Simon the manager of refurbished or a manager in general as presenters talk about him like he is in charge. When he presents he reminds me of a bingo caller.
Refurbish - renew,overhaul, restore,recondition etc.

Latest posts

Back