Behind The Scenes... Anything and everything you want to know

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That last part is very interesting.

I have posted about the lies spouted by Abbi on QVC on technical issues.

For example, she said a radio was British through and through and was made in the UK.

Then she turned it around, and when I paused the TV, it clearly said "Made in China".

Some presenters are guilty of "stretching the truth". Recently I posted here on another thread that a certain presenter states we have only 7 watches, and are the last 7 in the world, 20% of the stock has gone. Now, my point is, does the presenter say what he is told, and the answer to 20% of the stock remaining is in my book less than a full number? This observation shows 2 things, firstly, are the presenters playing us as fools, or second are there people in the gallery, who can't do simple mental arithmetic?
The whole credibility and content of what comes out of the presenters mouth's is listened to, and picked up when aired. They shouldn't be upset, or disappointed when discussed on an open forum. There are many many more claims, and untruth's that were picked up and discussed, all are available for you to read, enjoy!
Previously, I have said on another thread a while ago, doing a full hour unscripted must be extremely stressful and difficult. They have my complete admiration for doing that. Outrageous claims and let's say "FIBS", are picked up and discussed on here.
If you have been reading our post's for any length of time, you will have a feeling that some posters are passionate, and feel they may be being taken for fools. Please go back and read some of the threads, and you will see comments made about what is said in the "content" of a presentation creates a lot of discussion on here.
Lastly, does any one from your TV experience, read these post's, and if they are read, what is their take on posters comments about the "fibs" we hear?
Thank's for taking the time.

Hello, Thanks for the questions. I will have a look at the other threads at some point. But of course I know what you mean about the fibs. Producers are giving stock updates in the presenters ears. The presenter "should" be relaying this. Presenters do get carried away, or start doing their own maths. So, for example if the producer said 20% has sold out. Then the producer tells the presenter another 3 items have sold, the presenters sometimes try and be clever and work out the percentage. I assure you, when false info is given out, producers will be screaming in their ear, but presenters are the only ones the viewer hears.

I would also say, humans make human error. Sounds like I'm stating the obvious i know! .. but people seem to expect TV to be flawless and forget that there's some guy on his last hour of a 60 hour week, 11 hours into a 5am shift start. Typing errors occur, and so do maths errors. But, if the producer has given the correct figures to the presenter, and then they are still presented incorrectly, the presenter has either got it wrong, or has taken it upon themselves to bend the truth.

It would never be intentional from a producer/company point of view to broadcast false figures as the responsibility ultimately lays with them. But the producer can't physically stop a presenter from saying the wrong thing during a show, whether intentional or not, as they are 2 stories higher in the building and a 5 minute walk away.

Presenters seem to take feedback on here with a pinch of salt, as if they took everything on here to heart, they'd been forever depressed and never want to leave the house! ha.

If you have any other specifics, feel free to ask :)

With regards to agreeing to know about "the fibs" (thank you!) in my post, is there anything ever said to presenters to correct them? One presenter will constantly - and I mean constantly gives the wrong price!! In giving a price of example of a £90 item, it will be described as £30 but is misleading not to follow this up with "the first of 3 payments". This is a common error - not a mistake - it's misleading.
Another regular grouch is - whatever the item - "It's changed my life" - whether it be a paint sprayer or set of pans, and they all must have a home the size of a warehouse, as they all have everything!
No response to this post needed, but just my take on the presentations.

With regards to agreeing to know about "the fibs" (thank you!) in my post, is there anything ever said to presenters to correct them? One presenter will constantly - and I mean constantly gives the wrong price!! In giving a price of example of a £90 item, it will be described as £30 but is misleading not to follow this up with "the first of 3 payments". This is a common error - not a mistake - it's misleading.
Another regular grouch is - whatever the item - "It's changed my life" - whether it be a paint sprayer or set of pans, and they all must have a home the size of a warehouse, as they all have everything!
No response to this post needed, but just my take on the presentations.

More than happy to respond. As long as I'm not negatively impacting Ideal, I am happy to oblige. Although the thread was meant to be more for technical/behind the scenes, rather than whether I know of purposely misleading presentations. haha. In my 100% honest opinion, I do not think ANY of the bending of truth you hear is malicious or intended to mislead, even if it does. I never heard anyone say off-air "ha, well yeah I said this, it's a complete lie, but hopefully it'll get the mugs sitting at home to buy it". I think it's purely a mix of error, presenters getting carried away etc.

Regarding them all having everything. I can not vouch for this as fact as I've not visited their houses. But it is quite possible that they have a lot of it. Put it this way, all staff get a 20% discount. Guests obviously get a free product to test out at home and get familiar with it before demo'ing on air. It is also quite common for companies to give a couple of freebies away to keep the people representing them sweet.

In addition to this, I won't disclose potential salaries, but they are evidently going to be on a comfortable salary. Therefore, getting 20% off a £80 nutribullet, is quite appealing, easy to afford, and is a nice thing to have. I do also have a few of the presenters on social media, and do appear to be using Nutri-bullets etc. Therefore, again, I can see where the skeptical comments would come in, but when you view the facts, its probably quite reasonable to believe it as true.

I do also agree that the Flexi-pay thing can be misleading. It's because they are meant to say "you can get this HOME for £30+p&p." Which is true. You pay 1 payment, to get it, then try it, before doing the other flexis. It's purely meant to make it seem cheaper and no obligation. But again, it's a detail that gets lost in presentation.

And finally, yes, as mentioned in an earlier post, the liability lies with the company and the producer of the show. Therefore, any issue with facts being wrong, are very quickly picked up and corrected by the producer. Whether these are then corrected on air by the presenter is out of the producers control, apart from to keep repeating it in their ear. The thing with live television is, it's over and done with as soon as it has happened, and there is still the rest of the show to get through. So sometimes it just has to be left, and then addressed later. This is the same in all tv shows.

Hope this helps? :)

Re your comment about live presentations are over and done with - they are for them, but not for me.

If I have any inkling that I may buy something, I record every presentation of it so I can check out what they said with the reality when the item arrives.

Exactly. Nothing new. Nothing revealed.

It depends what you want to ask. I opened the topic to enlighten people on the production of shopping telly. How demos are set up, what are used in demos to replicate scenarios. Why certain things happen in tv shopping. The workings of a tv studio. The sets, cameras, audio, lighting, how guests prepare, the format of shows and why they have that format. Why certain things happen in certain ways etc etc.

If you're going to ask questions about whether a presenter has a blender from ideal world, you're going to get the distinct obvious answer. Essentially, what you're looking for is for me to say "No, it's all a bunch of lies. The stock updates are lies. They purposely lie and don't care, to try and sell more product." But the reality of those questions is as boring as you imagine.

Re your comment about live presentations are over and done with - they are for them, but not for me.

If I have any inkling that I may buy something, I record every presentation of it so I can check out what they said with the reality when the item arrives.

That's the difference between a buyer and TV. I work in television production. I was not ever in the business/customer service side of Ideal. I'm purely stating the logistics and explanation from a television production point of view. Rightly or wrongly, for us, it's "just another show", where-as for you, it's a basis on whether you make a considered purchase. For me, I did 84-100 shows a month, pretty similar for producers and presenters.

Most of the things the OP has told us we are already know.

Please refer to where I said multiple times.... "...the thread was meant to be more for technical/behind the scenes, rather than whether I know of purposely misleading presentations". There is no other answer than the one you already know. I simply elaborated to give more detail as the question was asked. There is no other detail on that than you already presume.

Presenters seem to take feedback on here with a pinch of salt, as if they took everything on here to heart, they'd been forever depressed and never want to leave the house! ha.

If you have any other specifics, feel free to ask :)[/QUOTE]

By all means, let the presenters take comments with a pinch of salt, but what we say is constructive criticism mixed with some light hearted banter, so if they don't wish to acknowledge it, so be it, it's not our jobs on the line. I've said Peter Simons sexual innuendo in the afternoon is not only so 80s it's also totally unacceptable, that's true, Mike Mason has an aggressive presenting style, that's true, Sally Jacks screams like a banshee, that's true........but hey, no skin of our noses hope that pinch of salt tastes good on their chips they buy on the way home from the job centre.

By all means, let the presenters take comments with a pinch of salt, but what we say is constructive criticism mixed with some light hearted banter, so if they don't wish to acknowledge it, so be it, it's not our jobs on the line. I've said Peter Simons sexual innuendo in the afternoon is not only so 80s it's also totally unacceptable, that's true, Mike Mason has an aggressive presenting style, that's true, Sally Jacks screams like a banshee, that's true........but hey, no skin of our noses hope that pinch of salt tastes good on their chips they buy on the way home from the job centre.

Again, nothing to do with me how they react. haha. I was asked their perceptions of the site, and I told you. Lol.

Again, nothing to do with me how they react. haha. I was asked their perceptions of the site, and I told you. Lol.

If it's nothing to you with how they react, why state it on a forum? You say they take it with a pinch of salt, you say they'd be depressed, pretty much sounds like it's to do with you. You commented a while back and you was an ex Ideal Worker then too.......let it go. :mysmilie_17:

If it's nothing to you with how they react, why state it on a forum? You say they take it with a pinch of salt, you say they'd be depressed, pretty much sounds like it's to do with you. You commented a while back and you was an ex Ideal Worker then too.......let it go.

What? haha. Im confused at what you're saying? Im not saying that your points were invalid or that I disagree with your views on the presenters styles. I was asked what presenters think of the forum. Many times the forum was mentioned whilst working there. Their attitudes towards it were..

"did you see what someone wrote on the forum about your show the other day?"
"yeah, i try not to take to much notice, everyones a critic."

Honestly, it's not taken that seriously.
It's no skin off my nose, the feedback on here is about them, and their opinion of your opinions is out of my control. You asked what they think. I've told you..?

What? haha. Im confused at what you're saying? Im not saying that your points were invalid or that I disagree with your views on the presenters styles. I was asked what presenters think of the forum. Many times the forum was mentioned whilst working there. Their attitudes towards it were..

"did you see what someone wrote on the forum about your show the other day?"
"yeah, i try not to take to much notice, everyones a critic."

Honestly, it's not taken that seriously.
It's no skin off my nose, the feedback on here is about them, and their opinion of your opinions is out of my control. You asked what they think. I've told you..?

I didn't, I was quoting you........anyway, I'm going to call it a night on here now, there's nothing being said of interest that's not been said before, so goodnight.

I didn't, I was quoting you........anyway, I'm going to call it a night on here now, there's nothing being said of interest that's not been said before, so goodnight.

Ask an interesting question and you'll get an interesting answer.
If you want to know what presenters think of people saying they are bad at their job. They are evidently going to be defensive or not care. Thats human nature, and presenters are no different.

If you want to know whether presenters purposely lie about stock updates, then when you are told about it, find it boring, then that's the questions fault, not the answer.

If you were intrigued about the production of Ideal World, how demos are made, what demos are mocked up with. Which demos are faked, which are real. Why demos are faked. Why certain things happen that seem odd. Technical aspects that you are curious about. Then you're going to get an answer that you don't know, or can't guess the answer too.

All that's currently being asked is questions that anyone with any sense and reasoning could answer about anyone in any company.

The delectable Mr Mason didn't used to take it with a pinch of salt when he worked at Bid.

Just to add regarding salaries. When Bid folded, the aforementioned delectable man was out of pocket to the tune of 12K. He hadn't been paid for the final three months if I remember correctly. So roughly 1k a week he earned on Bid.

What a pointless topic!

As opposed to "what do you think of Dennices make up?"
The idea was to answer questions on the behind the scenes workings of Ideal World, end speculation on repeat shows. Give you some all some answers from an insiders point of view. Not to give you info on their salaries and whether they like to lie. haha

Latest posts

Back