What is the point of pre-ordering?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Huggles

Registered Shopper
I don't get it. Who would pre-order anything without knowing how much the item will be, even crazier checking it out? It makes no logical sense to me at all. What is wrong with putting it in your basket then dumping it when the final price is declared and not as low as expected. At least you haven't wasted any bodies time by then cancelling your order after going through the check out. I've heard presenters pleading desperately for people to secure their item by checking it out even before the auction starts...how crazy is that? I wouldn't go to the jewellers and choose a piece of jewellery and saying, don't tell me the price, I'll just pay for it anyway. Maybe somebody can explain what it's all about because there always seems to be plenty of stock if you don't pre-order, what exactly is the advantage?

One of the reasons I've heard mentioned by the presenters is that bringing in the pre-order option was a customer-driven innovation. Going back to previous times on Gems, you might remember they used to preview a particular item, but it might be 25 minutes (or more) before that actual item was scheduled to appear on screen to be auctioned (for example, in a Tanzanite hour, they would stop briefly and preview an Emerald ring due to be sold in the following hour - perhaps as a "star buy"). Apparently, people would start ringing in, demanding to buy said item, even before it was officially shown for auction (maybe these people were busy or due at work, and couldn't hang around waiting for the item to appear on screen?). This was generally the case with particular items that Gems forecast were going to be very popular. I'm not saying that this is the definitive reason, but this is the reason I've heard repeated several times by different presenters. I know what you are saying about the question of the price - this could come as a nasty shock, because you're effectively ordering 'blind' if no price appears on screen. I can only think that if you ring in, the callcentre will quote you a price 'ceiling', which is the maximum price for that item when it's auctioned: that way, it doesn't come as an unpleasant shock! Otherwise, you order it and trust to luck, bearing in mind you can cancel the order later if you want to. As I've never ordered anything that's been on pre-order, I've no experience of actually doing it - all I know comes from presenter comments that have been made.
I don't get it. Who would pre-order anything without knowing how much the item will be, even crazier checking it out? It makes no logical sense to me at all. What is wrong with putting it in your basket then dumping it when the final price is declared and not as low as expected. At least you haven't wasted any bodies time by then cancelling your order after going through the check out. I've heard presenters pleading desperately for people to secure their item by checking it out even before the auction starts...how crazy is that? I wouldn't go to the jewellers and choose a piece of jewellery and saying, don't tell me the price, I'll just pay for it anyway. Maybe somebody can explain what it's all about because there always seems to be plenty of stock if you don't pre-order, what exactly is the advantage?

Last edited:
Huggles: PS to my previous post... also don't forget that items left in your basket are not secure: if Gems have a sell-out on that item and you haven't checked out your basket, the item may well disappear because its' been taken for a confirmed order placed by someone else - the item's only yours when you confirm your order and pay for it. Presenters have mentioned on-screen about customers complaining that something has 'vanished' from their basket, and the presenter's usual response is along the lines of...well, check it out then!

Last edited:
They can preview until they are blue in the face, but I wouldn't dream of buying anything unless I knew what the price was!

I'd agree - in my book it pays to avoid cancelling an order unless you really have to, as I'd still be worried it was going to turn up anyway. But if you can believe what they say, customers do go for it: there was an item on the other night, and according to the presenter, a large quantity had gone to pre-order before it was auctioned , but perhaps they would say that, wouldn't they!
They can preview until they are blue in the face, but I wouldn't dream of buying anything unless I knew what the price was!

For me it's because I'm ring size T-U which almost always sells out first sometimes even before the item comes to air so I have to pre-order to ensure I get my size.

Latest posts

Back