Ideal World - LIARS!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They are so dishonest, it's an appalling tactic that is surely to pressurise people into buying.

This is an even worse schlocky outfit than I thought, disgraceful.

I work in sales and, despite people's perceptions, we do not have sales only 3 times a year, but have special offers all year round. I always have customers asking me how long a laptop is at a certain price, or a range cooker. The truth is, and I tell them this, we do not know. No way have I ever contemplated telling them to buy it now, as it will never be at that price again. If I did and, subsequently, the price was reduced, or repeated, the customer could come into store, and complain. With presenting on a shopping channel, there are no consequences, they never have to be in contact with, let alone see, the consumer. They can do and say whatever they wish.
I pride myself on my integrity, something the presenters - they are not sales people, with product knowledge, etc. - are lacking.

I work in sales and, despite people's perceptions, we do not have sales only 3 times a year, but have special offers all year round. I always have customers asking me how long a laptop is at a certain price, or a range cooker. The truth is, and I tell them this, we do not know. No way have I ever contemplated telling them to buy it now, as it will never be at that price again. If I did and, subsequently, the price was reduced, or repeated, the customer could come into store, and complain. With presenting on a shopping channel, there are no consequences, they never have to be in contact with, let alone see, the consumer. They can do and say whatever they wish.
I pride myself on my integrity, something the presenters - they are not sales people, with product knowledge, etc. - are lacking.

Peter Simon has just said that you need to buy the Tower Multi Cooker NOW because 'when it's gone it's gone, that's it'.

We'll see :mysmilie_59:

I caught a bit of Alison Young a few weeks back, she blatantly said (and not the first time) that an item (in this case was pink bubble bath nail envy or something like that ) she said you can only buy it at QVC, I looked on line and there it was. She's not the only one at QVC to do this "exclusive to QVC" crap, they did it with a Kipling bag to, I only channel hop and caught them out twice so goodness knows how many times they do it.

I caught a bit of Alison Young a few weeks back, she blatantly said (and not the first time) that an item (in this case was pink bubble bath nail envy or something like that ) she said you can only buy it at QVC, I looked on line and there it was. She's not the only one at QVC to do this "exclusive to QVC" crap, they did it with a Kipling bag to, I only channel hop and caught them out twice so goodness knows how many times they do it.

This has been raised before about a few retailers, when challenged it transpired that they are referring to official retail channels rather than 'grey markets'. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

It's a bit like when supermarkets occasionally sell things like Levi 501's for much less than 'official retailers'.

This has been raised before about a few retailers, when challenged it transpired that they are referring to official retail channels rather than 'grey markets'. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

It's a bit like when supermarkets occasionally sell things like Levi 501's for much less than 'official retailers'.

I'm not sure, but she did say you couldn't buy it absolutely anywhere else other than QVC and that was a lie because you could buy it somewhere else, well most places really.

I'm not sure, but she did say you couldn't buy it absolutely anywhere else other than QVC and that was a lie because you could buy it somewhere else, well most places really.

They're full of it too.

Just listen to the crap that Lee often comes out with, not about the actual item he's shilling but the supporting comments he makes.

Apparently you cannot get a mobile contract with phone that's less than 18 months :confused:

It's annoying when claims are made but there is nowhere where you can verify how they are measuring their claims. Everything is left as vague as possible. I suppose on air there is no room for "the small print".

When Ideal World occasionally put up a comparison price, though, for the same product bought elsewhere, normally there is more effort made to be clear where the comparison is being made.

With QVC there are more "exclusives" (please read the small print, if available, for the definitition of that... there are special sizes... there are bundles of "extras" with a difficult-to-compare value attached... all of which make it harder to make any true comparisons.

Far too often, though, we are fed a diet of hints and vague comments which do not state anything but build up an impression of value, exclusivity, scarcity, demand... all aimed at the sole purpose of getting the viewing customer to BUY.

It's annoying when claims are made but there is nowhere where you can verify how they are measuring their claims. Everything is left as vague as possible. I suppose on air there is no room for "the small print".

When Ideal World occasionally put up a comparison price, though, for the same product bought elsewhere, normally there is more effort made to be clear where the comparison is being made.

With QVC there are more "exclusives" (please read the small print, if available, for the definitition of that... there are special sizes... there are bundles of "extras" with a difficult-to-compare value attached... all of which make it harder to make any true comparisons.

Far too often, though, we are fed a diet of hints and vague comments which do not state anything but build up an impression of value, exclusivity, scarcity, demand... all aimed at the sole purpose of getting the viewing customer to BUY.

You're right. That's what I like about IW they do a price comparison up to the minute from places like Very, Argos, Currys, Amazon, all the places we'd probably check ourselves, but with QVC, the only price comparison they do is the products on website, if they say price compare at all, and we all know their own website is the dearest place to price compare.

You really should check what they say before buying anything, as a keen gardener i heard the T@M guy on qvc saying a particular plant they were selling and of course R Jackson was excited as he always is was not available on mail order so i checked and found it freely available mail order at much better numbers and prices so they do say misleading things.

Indeed.

Did you hear that screaming banshee Genevieve when selling Skinn Face Potions? She wailed that 'its number one in the US, number one in Italy' blah blah.

Number one in what?

You're right. That's what I like about IW they do a price comparison up to the minute from places like Very, Argos, Currys, Amazon, all the places we'd probably check ourselves, but with QVC, the only price comparison they do is the products on website, if they say price compare at all, and we all know their own website is the dearest place to price compare.

I'm not entirely sure that Ideal World's price comparisons are always with recognisable high street stores, or that they're always open and transparent either. I accept that they can be but......

Just the other week Paul Becque was selling a Hoover Steam Generator Iron and when the price comparison came on screen he genuinely, and contemptuously said 'I've never heard of any of these companies'.

I don't like the way Ideal World regularly use notoriously expensive Home Shopping Catalogues like Freemans for price comparisons either but, surprise surprise, this is an old Bid tactic :mysmilie_59:

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?51638-Actress-Sarah-Parish-on-IW

Indeed.

Did you hear that screaming banshee Genevieve when selling Skinn Face Potions? She wailed that 'its number one in the US, number one in Italy' blah blah.

Number one in what?

I wish she'd have just shut up. I didn't need to know they're number one, I wanted to listen to the person who actually knew what Skinn was about, Dimitri the actual creator himself (great products by the way). You could see her face contorting when he dared to speak, or tried to speak, she had a face like a slapped arse.

I'm not sure that Ideal World's price comparisons are always with recognisable high street stores, or that they're always open and transparent either.

Just the other week Paul Becque was selling a Hoover Steam Generator Iron and when the price comparison came on screen he genuinely, and contemptuously said 'I've never heard of any of these companies'.

I don't like the way Ideal World regularly use notoriously expensive Home Shopping Catalogues like Freemans for price comparisons either but, surprise surprise, this is an old Bid tactic :mysmilie_59:

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?51638-Actress-Sarah-Parish-on-IW

I think they use a broad spectrum, they also show Argos, Currys, Debenhams, the usual High street stores.

I think they use a broad spectrum, they also show Argos, Currys, Debenhams, the usual High street stores.

They should do a price comparison with Argos and Currys relating to postage charges, and time to deliver. They'd both wallop them. Ideal's postage costs overall are better than QVC's but they're often inconsistent, they have a Lusardi deal now and the postage is £5.99!

But it's noticeable that Ideal World make absolutely no reference whatsoever on air to delivery times, ever. :mysmilie_59:

GOLLUM was selling a Vacuum Cleaner recently, he said he looked online and could only find the item sold at two other places and because there wasn't three he couldn't provide an on screen price comparison.

But that didn't stop him telling us verbally the two prices for the retailers he found, he didn't name them though :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back