Advertising in the Radio Times

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

madmax

Registered Shopper
I don't buy the Radio Times but have just heard that they have started advertising in it and are having a"special" auction this evening (sat 05/03) called the Radio times auction.
What with the merging of the UK and US stations and now this along with the massive presenter shake up, is there something going on behind the screens we haven't been told about?
I do hope that aren't throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
I have been a regular viewer especially during the night now that QVC are only showing the TSV hour over and over again.

I think the night broadcasts will carry on especially now USA and UK have joined. It suits the time difference.

Seems like there is a lot of competition in the jewellery business now which is probably why Tjc has started selling other items.. Regular customers can only buy so much jewellery.

I am often tempted but don't order because I don't wear the jewellery I've got so there is no point.If I could afford it I would buy one of the really expensive rings.

I wouldn't buy the overlaid stuff its not worth it.

Events over the past year: UK and US channels merge, Jewellery Maker goes, The Diamond lounge appears briefly and then disappears (has now just come back again), a lot of long-serving and well-liked presenters have left over the past year (Scott Worsfold, Fiona Egan, Matt McNamara, Liv Edmonds), Steve Bennett 'downsizing' and selling his house - considering all these things I do wonder whether there is something going on and whether Steve Bennett is thinking of selling up? There seem to be far more items where quantities are still available after the auction ends - years ago, when I first started watching this channel, items would fly out and unless you were super-quick to ring up, all the online buyers bagged everything; now, you can leave it half an hour after the auction ends, and in many cases you will still be in with a good chance of buying that item. Of course, this doesn't apply with every single auction, but it occurs much more frequently these days IMO. And where are the discount offers? I haven't bought from TJC for ages, and yet they keep sending me discount codes nearly every day, but nothing much from Gems. I think you are right about there being a lot of competition in jewellery sales now, added to which (and in spite of what we are being told in the media) I don't think many of their target audience have the money to spend as before - and with price hikes in essentials like Utilities, people are shopping around much more.

I think the night broadcasts will carry on especially now USA and UK have joined. It suits the time difference.

Seems like there is a lot of competition in the jewellery business now which is probably why Tjc has started selling other items.. Regular customers can only buy so much jewellery.

I am often tempted but don't order because I don't wear the jewellery I've got so there is no point.If I could afford it I would buy one of the really expensive rings.

I wouldn't buy the overlaid stuff its not worth it.

I'm sure I am not the only person who decided to spend less on things I don't really need .Not only from shopping telly but generally.If you read between the lines in the media we could still be in for rough times ahead and wages continue to be depressed.

I made a determination to pay off my credit card and keep it clear which is what I'm doing.I love jewellery but I can live without it.

I'm sure I am not the only person who decided to spend less on things I don't really need .Not only from shopping telly but generally.If you read between the lines in the media we could still be in for rough times ahead and wages continue to be depressed.

I made a determination to pay off my credit card and keep it clear which is what I'm doing.I love jewellery but I can live without it.

Yes Turandot you are quite right. I have stopped buying stuff I don't really need due to being retired. We are comfortably off but honestly would rather spend money on holidays.

There is a definite link here, and I am surprised nobody has worked it out. Radio Times is a 'BBC Magazines' (Immediate Media Co) publication which is owned by the same company who recently acquired Jewellery Maker.

There is a definite link here, and I am surprised nobody has worked it out. Radio Times is a 'BBC Magazines' (Immediate Media Co) publication which is owned by the same company who recently acquired Jewellery Maker.

Steve DID mention this the other night when presenting the "Radio Times Pick of the Day" (He had over 800 half carat tanzanite rings in silver to sell and in the end they went for under £17.00 each so lots of people must have thought they where getting a bargain.)
I assumed they had done some sort of a deal with them during the negotiations to sell JM to them.
Gems have also increased their advertising into lots of the popular "glossy mags" over the last 6 months.

And do you remember how the presenters used to say "here at Gems we never spend money on costly advertising"? :mysmilie_11:
Steve DID mention this the other night when presenting the "Radio Times Pick of the Day" (He had over 800 half carat tanzanite rings in silver to sell and in the end they went for under £17.00 each so lots of people must have thought they where getting a bargain.)
I assumed they had done some sort of a deal with them during the negotiations to sell JM to them.
Gems have also increased their advertising into lots of the popular "glossy mags" over the last 6 months.

Latest posts

Back