Asa Ruling

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They have absolutely no right to make these claims, and when this sort of thing is done by a presenter with years of experience, there is no excuse for it. The whole thing with Tanzanite annoys me, because I think a fast one was pulled: it's only a few years ago that we were all being told it would not last beyond about another 10 years, so get yours now, etc. -now that seems to have been wrong and there's at least another 2 generations worth, but it's passed off as "that was what we understood at the time". Yes, well, you could use that excuse for any number of things, couldn't you, so surely they should be careful with the wording of their claims? All this stuff about double A grade, 4A grade, etc. is not worth listening to, as it's completely subjective in the absence of a world-wide standard on grading, but they certainly don't tell you that, they simply claim "it's double A grade" or whatever as though it's been properly assessed, like a certified diamond might be. It really means nowt when the chips are down.

Last edited:
Sadly the same presenter did almost the exact same pitch as the one the ASA deemed as unacceptable.

Shows you the impact then!

The certification claims are in my opinion just part of the sales hype. Originally you only got one with a high quality gem.I did a bit of research when I was thinking of buying an expensive item . There are quite a few certificate bodies now and some of them are not very well thought of.

I would advise anyone to do their own research before they commit to a purchase .Problem is sales telly is all about hooking you in and not giving you time to do research in case you miss out on the "bargains".

All ASA results should be publicised more so the general public is not so easily fooled.it amounts to a slap on the wrist for TJC and business as usual.

Yes I agree,but its just another aspect that irritates me and its used often to justify their claims. I think the investment claims are very dodgy and unless i was very rich i wouldnt buy anything as an investment piece or heirloom and definately not from a shopping channel. I personally don't trust a word they say but a lot of people do.i think there should be higher penalties for mis selling.

Absolutely. To them it's just a slap on the wrist, followed by them just repeating the same old, same old. If they were really heavily penalised financially, and forced to display a readable on-screen precis of the adjudication for more than 2 minutes, they'd think better of it. And as ASA watching man says, it's the implication that if you buy, you are making a sound financial investment that is worrying. I find this outrageous and totally dishonest. They are not qualified to say what will, or won't, increase in value, and should face more than a slapped wrist for doing so.

Yes I agree,but its just another aspect that irritates me and its used often to justify their claims. I think the investment claims are very dodgy and unless i was very rich i wouldnt buy anything as an investment piece or heirloom and definately not from a shopping channel. I personally don't trust a word they say but a lot of people do.i think there should be higher penalties for mis selling.

Latest posts

Back