Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Planning Crowd joins Ideal World!

Ideal World are delighted to announce the arrival of the newest member of their family The Planning Crowd. Coming on board with over 30 years combined experience working in the estate planning sector, the team at The Planning Crowd will take care of all your will writing and funeral planning requirements.

Tune in to Ideal World from Thursday 23rd March at 8pm to hear how you and your family could benefit in the long term by forward planning. With a range of services available from wills, will trusts, funeral plans and DNA sample kits right through to legal services like conveyancing, professional trust management and executor services joining The Planning Crowd can help you and your loved ones no matter what the eventuality.

Protect your children and your finances .....

Read More

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Enigma Guest

Default So long and farewell TJC

I've been a viewer of TJC for a while, and have picked up a few inexpensive jewellery pieces for gifts over the years. There are presenters who are fun to watch (Derek Marks and Laura Schofield) and others who make me switch to another channel (Derek Gibbons and Steve Milne, because I always get the impression they sneer at the people who buy the cheaper jewellery). But as of today I've had enough.

I switched over to TJC this evening after a DVD I'd watched ended, and there was Andrea gurning uncomfortably to camera. Why? Because Amit's decided to inflict himself on the show, and he is literally hectoring people to buy a ring set. I couldn't switch my tv over fast enough.

I decided there and then: I don't find the buyers being on screen useful as they really aren't telling us anything the presenter wouldn't have, and they are ultra-aggressive with the selling. It's not a fun experience, is uncomfortable to watch and it really deters me from sticking around to buy. So that's it, TJC has now lost me as both a customer and a viewer.

I can only think that TJC is losing ground to internet shopping. But bullying viewers isn't the way to fight your corner

› See More: So long and farewell TJC
      Thanks JR's Ego thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above post....I tend to switch to TJC when there is nothing else to watch/listen to , it depend on the presenter as to how long I will watch, but as soon as they bring the head buyer/tea maker/dish washer with their inane drivel I jump (lol)on the off button. I like watching Derek Marks and a few of the ladies....

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Post Thanks / Like

Enigma, yes, there have been several posts on here over the last month or so, saying much the same thing. Like you, I've bought pieces in the past from TJC, quite a few as presents, and although I've not spent a fortune with them, I've been very pleased with most - and the recipients have all been delighted with things I've given as gifts, and still are. I've only sent a couple of bits back because of problems, and found the refund was processed pretty quickly with no arguments, so I've been happy overall. But recently, this stupid idea of having one of the Buyers on screen nearly all the time has really pi&&ed me off, especially when it's Amit. They shout, hector and gabble at the viewer, while the 'real' presenter stands there looking awkward and like a spare part. I flick over now and if there's a Buyer on, off the channel goes. They are seemingly bullying viewers to buy and ruining this channel, and I keep on hoping that someone at TJC will read what's on here and get the message that we don't like it! It seems to me as though they are deliberately trying to run the channel into the ground, because I'm sure most people are as irritated and annoyed by it, as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
      I've been a viewer of TJC for a while, and have picked up a few inexpensive jewellery pieces for gifts over the years. There are presenters who are fun to watch (Derek Marks and Laura Schofield) and others who make me switch to another channel (Derek Gibbons and Steve Milne, because I always get the impression they sneer at the people who buy the cheaper jewellery). But as of today I've had enough.

I switched over to TJC this evening after a DVD I'd watched ended, and there was Andrea gurning uncomfortably to camera. Why? Because Amit's decided to inflict himself on the show, and he is literally hectoring people to buy a ring set. I couldn't switch my tv over fast enough.

I decided there and then: I don't find the buyers being on screen useful as they really aren't telling us anything the presenter wouldn't have, and they are ultra-aggressive with the selling. It's not a fun experience, is uncomfortable to watch and it really deters me from sticking around to buy. So that's it, TJC has now lost me as both a customer and a viewer.

I can only think that TJC is losing ground to internet shopping. But bullying viewers isn't the way to fight your corner
      Last edited by historymystery; 30-03-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been happening along with the changes and rebranding that took place when Colin Wagstaff was appointed MD.He used to appear as well,too often for my liking.Since he took over TJC profits have increased so most people don't seem to mind .it irritates me .

I used to love watching Derek Marks for his high energy and individuality but even he seems to have lost his sparkle

Colin has moved to Jewellery Maker so wonder if he'll make similar changes there.
      Likes Avid , reanebeanie, historymystery liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Colin W. will make changes, although he might be pursuing a "wait and see" policy at present and just making notes. But I think it will mean changes. I found Colin irritating when he appeared with the presenters, but at least he didn't have the shouty, hectoring manner that some of the others have, IMO. He was capable of talking without assaulting your ears. I cannot imagine any presenter worth their salt not being fed-up under the present regime, and not looking for the exit. I think Derek Marks has got the right idea - he has lots of other 'irons in the fire' as well as The Shouty Channel, including working on cruise ships and as a radio presenter (in Lancashire, I think), but I agree with you that he's lost a lot of his humour and cheerful persona, and he only appears comparatively rarely now - in fact, I did wonder if he'd left altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Turandot View Post
      This has been happening along with the changes and rebranding that took place when Colin Wagstaff was appointed MD.He used to appear as well,too often for my liking.Since he took over TJC profits have increased so most people don't seem to mind .it irritates me .

I used to love watching Derek Marks for his high energy and individuality but even he seems to have lost his sparkle

Colin has moved to Jewellery Maker so wonder if he'll make similar changes there.
      Likes shopperholic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with all that has been said, I have now stopped watching, every time I do have a quick look at TJC to see what they are selling, Amit and co are there all of the time now. It was bad enough when they started to go down the 'market stall' route, have lost count of the number of scarfs they sell now. If it was my place of work I would find it so intimidating having someone standing next to me everyday, virtually taking over. I can only assume that if some of the presenters could walk, they would do. Derek Marks is my favourite presenter, but he hardly seems to be on now, and when he is it is the late slot. I also get so fed up with, in particular, Amit's 20 price drops on an item. For goodness sake, just go straight to the final price! You don't walk in to a shop and stand there for ages waiting for the assistant to get to the sale price, just don't see the reasoning behind this psychology. TJC, just let the presenters get on with their job, the buyers should just get on with theirs as well, you have lost a lot of viewers because of the buyers hogging the screens, but I am sure all the time you are making a profit you wont really care.

Enigma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reanebeanie View Post
      I totally agree with all that has been said, I have now stopped watching, every time I do have a quick look at TJC to see what they are selling, Amit and co are there all of the time now. It was bad enough when they started to go down the 'market stall' route, have lost count of the number of scarfs they sell now. If it was my place of work I would find it so intimidating having someone standing next to me everyday, virtually taking over. I can only assume that if some of the presenters could walk, they would do. Derek Marks is my favourite presenter, but he hardly seems to be on now, and when he is it is the late slot. I also get so fed up with, in particular, Amit's 20 price drops on an item. For goodness sake, just go straight to the final price! You don't walk in to a shop and stand there for ages waiting for the assistant to get to the sale price, just don't see the reasoning behind this psychology. TJC, just let the presenters get on with their job, the buyers should just get on with theirs as well, you have lost a lot of viewers because of the buyers hogging the screens, but I am sure all the time you are making a profit you wont really care.
      The falling auction thing is a con. Bid and Gemporia were taken to task by the ASA for starting auctions off at an artificially high price to make the final price appear even better to potential customers. After investigation of actual RRP selly telly channels with falling auctions were categorically told to stop it and start at an actual verifiable RRP. I would never think of buying something until I know exactly what I'm paying for it.
      Thanks shopperholic thanked for this post
      Likes historymystery, reanebeanie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that since they've been using this format, the Buyers save the best items for themselves. As a result, this gives the viewer the impression that the prices are better when they are on screen.

Buyer on screen = better items at better prices!
      Presenter on their own = standard fare, no real bargains. Boo.

Therefore, sales will increase when the Buyer is present on screen - it's a win-win situation for them.

Sadly, it also means we'll continue to suffer, much over-used Amit, hopelessly inarticulate Zahid and the uncharismatic Tenner until the sales plateau off.
      Likes mr tom , historymystery, reanebeanie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
      The falling auction thing is a con. Bid and Gemporia were taken to task by the ASA for starting auctions off at an artificially high price to make the final price appear even better to potential customers. After investigation of actual RRP selly telly channels with falling auctions were categorically told to stop it and start at an actual verifiable RRP. I would never think of buying something until I know exactly what I'm paying for it.
      Yeah Bid were notorious for this kind of deceit, start price 998.50 down to 2.99 I don't watch jewellery channels but don't understand (well I do really) why they just can't put the price they want up straight away and save all that arseing around.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is their strategy, I can't see that it will pay in the long-term. They are paying presenters to just stand there, for one thing, and if people are only watching when there's a Buyer on because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that they'll get a better deal, this probably means that they are choosing not to watch at all when there's just a presenter on there. Plus, of course, you'll have the people (like most of us on here) who move like Usain Bolt to switch off as soon as Tenner/Zahid/Amit or anyone else who is a Buyer looms up on screen. However, perhaps they've done their sums and it is working, but I can't see it. On the plus side for us, Tenner is a sure-fire cure for insomnia.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid View Post
      The problem is that since they've been using this format, the Buyers save the best items for themselves. As a result, this gives the viewer the impression that the prices are better when they are on screen.

Buyer on screen = better items at better prices!
      Presenter on their own = standard fare, no real bargains. Boo.

Therefore, sales will increase when the Buyer is present on screen - it's a win-win situation for them.

Sadly, it also means we'll continue to suffer, much over-used Amit, hopelessly inarticulate Zahid and the uncharismatic Tenner until the sales plateau off.