So long and farewell TJC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

E

Enigma

Guest Shopper
I've been a viewer of TJC for a while, and have picked up a few inexpensive jewellery pieces for gifts over the years. There are presenters who are fun to watch (Derek Marks and Laura Schofield) and others who make me switch to another channel (Derek Gibbons and Steve Milne, because I always get the impression they sneer at the people who buy the cheaper jewellery). But as of today I've had enough.

I switched over to TJC this evening after a DVD I'd watched ended, and there was Andrea gurning uncomfortably to camera. Why? Because Amit's decided to inflict himself on the show, and he is literally hectoring people to buy a ring set. I couldn't switch my tv over fast enough.

I decided there and then: I don't find the buyers being on screen useful as they really aren't telling us anything the presenter wouldn't have, and they are ultra-aggressive with the selling. It's not a fun experience, is uncomfortable to watch and it really deters me from sticking around to buy. So that's it, TJC has now lost me as both a customer and a viewer.

I can only think that TJC is losing ground to internet shopping. But bullying viewers isn't the way to fight your corner

I agree with the above post....I tend to switch to TJC when there is nothing else to watch/listen to , it depend on the presenter as to how long I will watch, but as soon as they bring the head buyer/tea maker/dish washer with their inane drivel I jump (lol)on the off button. I like watching Derek Marks and a few of the ladies....

Enigma, yes, there have been several posts on here over the last month or so, saying much the same thing. Like you, I've bought pieces in the past from TJC, quite a few as presents, and although I've not spent a fortune with them, I've been very pleased with most - and the recipients have all been delighted with things I've given as gifts, and still are. I've only sent a couple of bits back because of problems, and found the refund was processed pretty quickly with no arguments, so I've been happy overall. But recently, this stupid idea of having one of the Buyers on screen nearly all the time has really pi&&ed me off, especially when it's Amit. They shout, hector and gabble at the viewer, while the 'real' presenter stands there looking awkward and like a spare part. I flick over now and if there's a Buyer on, off the channel goes. They are seemingly bullying viewers to buy and ruining this channel, and I keep on hoping that someone at TJC will read what's on here and get the message that we don't like it! It seems to me as though they are deliberately trying to run the channel into the ground, because I'm sure most people are as irritated and annoyed by it, as we are.

I've been a viewer of TJC for a while, and have picked up a few inexpensive jewellery pieces for gifts over the years. There are presenters who are fun to watch (Derek Marks and Laura Schofield) and others who make me switch to another channel (Derek Gibbons and Steve Milne, because I always get the impression they sneer at the people who buy the cheaper jewellery). But as of today I've had enough.

I switched over to TJC this evening after a DVD I'd watched ended, and there was Andrea gurning uncomfortably to camera. Why? Because Amit's decided to inflict himself on the show, and he is literally hectoring people to buy a ring set. I couldn't switch my tv over fast enough.

I decided there and then: I don't find the buyers being on screen useful as they really aren't telling us anything the presenter wouldn't have, and they are ultra-aggressive with the selling. It's not a fun experience, is uncomfortable to watch and it really deters me from sticking around to buy. So that's it, TJC has now lost me as both a customer and a viewer.

I can only think that TJC is losing ground to internet shopping. But bullying viewers isn't the way to fight your corner

Last edited:
This has been happening along with the changes and rebranding that took place when Colin Wagstaff was appointed MD.He used to appear as well,too often for my liking.Since he took over TJC profits have increased so most people don't seem to mind .it irritates me .

I used to love watching Derek Marks for his high energy and individuality but even he seems to have lost his sparkle

Colin has moved to Jewellery Maker so wonder if he'll make similar changes there.

I think Colin W. will make changes, although he might be pursuing a "wait and see" policy at present and just making notes. But I think it will mean changes. I found Colin irritating when he appeared with the presenters, but at least he didn't have the shouty, hectoring manner that some of the others have, IMO. He was capable of talking without assaulting your ears. I cannot imagine any presenter worth their salt not being fed-up under the present regime, and not looking for the exit. I think Derek Marks has got the right idea - he has lots of other 'irons in the fire' as well as The Shouty Channel, including working on cruise ships and as a radio presenter (in Lancashire, I think), but I agree with you that he's lost a lot of his humour and cheerful persona, and he only appears comparatively rarely now - in fact, I did wonder if he'd left altogether.

This has been happening along with the changes and rebranding that took place when Colin Wagstaff was appointed MD.He used to appear as well,too often for my liking.Since he took over TJC profits have increased so most people don't seem to mind .it irritates me .

I used to love watching Derek Marks for his high energy and individuality but even he seems to have lost his sparkle

Colin has moved to Jewellery Maker so wonder if he'll make similar changes there.

I totally agree with all that has been said, I have now stopped watching, every time I do have a quick look at TJC to see what they are selling, Amit and co are there all of the time now. It was bad enough when they started to go down the 'market stall' route, have lost count of the number of scarfs they sell now. If it was my place of work I would find it so intimidating having someone standing next to me everyday, virtually taking over. I can only assume that if some of the presenters could walk, they would do. Derek Marks is my favourite presenter, but he hardly seems to be on now, and when he is it is the late slot. I also get so fed up with, in particular, Amit's 20 price drops on an item. For goodness sake, just go straight to the final price! You don't walk in to a shop and stand there for ages waiting for the assistant to get to the sale price, just don't see the reasoning behind this psychology. TJC, just let the presenters get on with their job, the buyers should just get on with theirs as well, you have lost a lot of viewers because of the buyers hogging the screens, but I am sure all the time you are making a profit you wont really care.

I totally agree with all that has been said, I have now stopped watching, every time I do have a quick look at TJC to see what they are selling, Amit and co are there all of the time now. It was bad enough when they started to go down the 'market stall' route, have lost count of the number of scarfs they sell now. If it was my place of work I would find it so intimidating having someone standing next to me everyday, virtually taking over. I can only assume that if some of the presenters could walk, they would do. Derek Marks is my favourite presenter, but he hardly seems to be on now, and when he is it is the late slot. I also get so fed up with, in particular, Amit's 20 price drops on an item. For goodness sake, just go straight to the final price! You don't walk in to a shop and stand there for ages waiting for the assistant to get to the sale price, just don't see the reasoning behind this psychology. TJC, just let the presenters get on with their job, the buyers should just get on with theirs as well, you have lost a lot of viewers because of the buyers hogging the screens, but I am sure all the time you are making a profit you wont really care.

The falling auction thing is a con. Bid and Gemporia were taken to task by the ASA for starting auctions off at an artificially high price to make the final price appear even better to potential customers. After investigation of actual RRP selly telly channels with falling auctions were categorically told to stop it and start at an actual verifiable RRP. I would never think of buying something until I know exactly what I'm paying for it.

The problem is that since they've been using this format, the Buyers save the best items for themselves. As a result, this gives the viewer the impression that the prices are better when they are on screen.

Buyer on screen = better items at better prices!
Presenter on their own = standard fare, no real bargains. Boo.

Therefore, sales will increase when the Buyer is present on screen - it's a win-win situation for them.

Sadly, it also means we'll continue to suffer, much over-used Amit, hopelessly inarticulate Zahid and the uncharismatic Tenner until the sales plateau off.

The falling auction thing is a con. Bid and Gemporia were taken to task by the ASA for starting auctions off at an artificially high price to make the final price appear even better to potential customers. After investigation of actual RRP selly telly channels with falling auctions were categorically told to stop it and start at an actual verifiable RRP. I would never think of buying something until I know exactly what I'm paying for it.

Yeah Bid were notorious for this kind of deceit, start price £998.50 down to £2.99 I don't watch jewellery channels but don't understand (well I do really) why they just can't put the price they want up straight away and save all that arseing around.

If this is their strategy, I can't see that it will pay in the long-term. They are paying presenters to just stand there, for one thing, and if people are only watching when there's a Buyer on because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that they'll get a better deal, this probably means that they are choosing not to watch at all when there's just a presenter on there. Plus, of course, you'll have the people (like most of us on here) who move like Usain Bolt to switch off as soon as Tenner/Zahid/Amit or anyone else who is a Buyer looms up on screen. However, perhaps they've done their sums and it is working, but I can't see it. On the plus side for us, Tenner is a sure-fire cure for insomnia.:sleepy::sleepy:

The problem is that since they've been using this format, the Buyers save the best items for themselves. As a result, this gives the viewer the impression that the prices are better when they are on screen.

Buyer on screen = better items at better prices!
Presenter on their own = standard fare, no real bargains. Boo.

Therefore, sales will increase when the Buyer is present on screen - it's a win-win situation for them.

Sadly, it also means we'll continue to suffer, much over-used Amit, hopelessly inarticulate Zahid and the uncharismatic Tenner until the sales plateau off.

Yes, this is one of the few positive things the ASA have done. Some of the start prices were totally off-the-wall, and you'd get all this "trust me, the price will be going lower". Yes, well, fine, but what does that tell you - you want to know the actual price the item's going to be, not sit there through 500 price drops while they try to convince you that you're getting a better deal than you are.

I've NEVER understood the point of falling price "auctions." It just seems to me that they start with a ridiculously inflated price and spout a load of bollocks before doing their stupid price "plunges." Where else are you subjected to such nonsense? Imagine if you went into Sainsburys and saw a loaf of bread for £108, having some c*nt spouting drivel for 10 minutes, their voice getting louder and louder building up to a crescendo of feigned excitement, before the pumping music kicks in: Daduh,Daduh,Daduh,Daduh, deduh,deduh,deduh,deduh, diduh,diduh,diduh,diduh, deeduh,deeduh, duduh,duduh, bash! bash!bash!bash! Oh look the loaf is £1.50! Go get it! "Oooh just as well the manager's not here, we'd get such a telling-off because what we're doing is so naughty! I don't know about other people but when I buy something I just want to know the price and decide straight away. Everyone knows the start price is a joke, so what is the point with f*cking around with all that f*cking ****? I HATE IT! I have actually had an ASA complaint successfully upheld against them and will complain at every opportunity. I'd actually like to see them taken off air. Their T&Cs state that the start price is "no indication of value or worth" (a statement which in itself is a tautology). OK, so why do it then? Also if the start price is truly "randomly-generated" why is it always, and without exception extremely high? Why don't we see a start price of just a few quid more? I can't stand their dodgy sales tactics, the crap music, the annoying presenters and awful management. Amit Agrewal has a grating voice, limited command of English and his stating something is a "wery wery good prrrrice" or a "speshellll deeelllll" does not entice me to buy. Just look on Trustpilot for the horror stories of crap jewellery and terrible service. That many people cannot be lying.

I have actually had an ASA complaint successfully upheld against them and will complain at every opportunity.

Yup - it's important for a company to be kept on its toes.

I'd actually like to see them taken off air.

I confess, I shop at TJC more than any other shopping channel. I like that they have diversified and moved into selling other things. I've bought their scarves and think they are great value for money (controversial, I know). I've even dabbled with their bespoke service. I'm not keen on the tatt, but overall, I've been satisfied with the things I've purchased. Therefore, I only want to see Amit, Sayid and Tenner taken off air - they are super-annoying and can't present for toffee.

Amit Agrewal has a grating voice, limited command of English and his stating something is a "wery wery good prrrrice" or a "speshellll deeelllll" does not entice me to buy. Just look on Trustpilot for the horror stories of crap jewellery and terrible service. That many people cannot be lying.

My favorite Amitism; "Look how beautiful it looks it." - he's ok in v.small doses.

I'll check out Trustpilot. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Yup - it's important for a company to be kept on its toes.

I confess, I shop at TJC more than any other shopping channel. I like that they have diversified and moved into selling other things. I've bought their scarves and think they are great value for money (controversial, I know). I've even dabbled with their bespoke service. I'm not keen on the tatt, but overall, I've been satisfied with the things I've purchased. Therefore, I only want to see Amit, Sayid and Tenner taken off air - they are super-annoying and can't present for toffee.

My favorite Amitism; "Look how beautiful it looks it." - he's ok in v.small doses.

I'll check out Trustpilot. Thanks for the tip!

Amit's ego knows know bounds. Not too long ago I seem to recall they had an animated / filmed sequence of him "exploring" the world in a hot air balloon searching for precious gems. I think Amit is more full of hot air than that balloon.

More people will know about TJC very soon! Wait until August! Raaaaaaahahahahaha!

As a jewellery Novice it comes across to me that the presenters are forced to build and butter up the ego of the buyers. The adverts seem to focus on the buyers.

Yet if they are such fantastic buyers... why are they always on camera and not out doing their day jobs.

Just silly little business folk with their tv star dreams.

I've NEVER understood the point of falling price "auctions." It just seems to me that they start with a ridiculously inflated price and spout a load of bollocks before doing their stupid price "plunges." Where else are you subjected to such nonsense? Imagine if you went into Sainsburys and saw a loaf of bread for £108, having some c*nt spouting drivel for 10 minutes, their voice getting louder and louder building up to a crescendo of feigned excitement, before the pumping music kicks in: Daduh,Daduh,Daduh,Daduh, deduh,deduh,deduh,deduh, diduh,diduh,diduh,diduh, deeduh,deeduh, duduh,duduh, bash! bash!bash!bash! Oh look the loaf is £1.50! Go get it! "Oooh just as well the manager's not here, we'd get such a telling-off because what we're doing is so naughty! I don't know about other people but when I buy something I just want to know the price and decide straight away. Everyone knows the start price is a joke, so what is the point with f*cking around with all that f*cking ****? I HATE IT! I have actually had an ASA complaint successfully upheld against them and will complain at every opportunity. I'd actually like to see them taken off air. Their T&Cs state that the start price is "no indication of value or worth" (a statement which in itself is a tautology). OK, so why do it then? Also if the start price is truly "randomly-generated" why is it always, and without exception extremely high? Why don't we see a start price of just a few quid more? I can't stand their dodgy sales tactics, the crap music, the annoying presenters and awful management. Amit Agrewal has a grating voice, limited command of English and his stating something is a "wery wery good prrrrice" or a "speshellll deeelllll" does not entice me to buy. Just look on Trustpilot for the horror stories of crap jewellery and terrible service. That many people cannot be lying.

They even do it on an ''under £10 day'' for example.

what possible justification for having a product displayed as any amount above a tenner on that day... apart from trying to create the impression that the item is worth more than a tenner.

They even do it on an ''under £10 day'' for example.

what possible justification for having a product displayed as any amount above a tenner on that day... apart from trying to create the impression that the item is worth more than a tenner.

I know! It's so silly, isn't it? I don't consider to be an auction in any way, shape or form whatsoever. If the lowest bidder wins, I'll give them nothing for their silly products...but oh no it doesn't work like that! They just have a price they want to sell at, they vastly inflate it, make a song and a dance about the money they are "taking off" which of course they are truly not, then feign amazement at all the price plunges! The funniest thing is if you watch online, you see the next price slightly before the on-screen presentation. It's quite clear the presenter can see this information, yet still they gasp and pontificate!

I know! It's so silly, isn't it? I don't consider to be an auction in any way, shape or form whatsoever. If the lowest bidder wins, I'll give them nothing for their silly products...but oh no it doesn't work like that! They just have a price they want to sell at, they vastly inflate it, make a song and a dance about the money they are "taking off" which of course they are truly not, then feign amazement at all the price plunges! The funniest thing is if you watch online, you see the next price slightly before the on-screen presentation. It's quite clear the presenter can see this information, yet still they gasp and pontificate!

exactly right mate... if anything, calling in early just means you are more likely to get the item for a higher price, due to artificially inflating the demand.

I will admit I found it a guilty pleasure when I first saw Amit doing an advert on a yacht, looking like an Asian Miami vice... but the level of focus on him and his mates is ridiculous.

To put it another way... could you see Debbie Flint putting up with his sh#t/claiming her sales are really his?

has anyone noticed the spend £45 and get free delivery has changed to £65 now ( Free Standard Delivery
When you spend £65). i am sick of tjc,over the last few months its changed so much what with all this beauty crap and silly guests on all the time it really has gone down hill so much i cant even watch diddy Derek marks any more that's how bad tjc has become.

TLL, Diddy Derek is rarer than hen's teeth on there - I think it's very much a "2nd job" for him, and he does other things elsewhere (sensible). The buyers are truly dreadful and how the presenters can stand there like spare parts, I don't know.

has anyone noticed the spend £45 and get free delivery has changed to £65 now ( Free Standard Delivery
When you spend £65). i am sick of tjc,over the last few months its changed so much what with all this beauty crap and silly guests on all the time it really has gone down hill so much i cant even watch diddy Derek marks any more that's how bad tjc has become.

Latest posts

Back