Peter Simon is but a pale imitation of this man

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
The master of the 'double entendre' (and he never prostituted himself on a clapped-out selly telly channel!):

Pervy Pete wishes he had even a thimbleful of the talent this man had. Larry Grayson was a master of the double entendre, created memorable characters like "Everard" and "Dirty Gertie from Number 30" and told hysterically funny stories without being graphic, sneezing over everything, or making anyone watching feel uncomfortable.

But like many comedians who found fame in the 60s and 70s, Grayson paid his dues doing gigs in the northern working men's clubs. He could work an audience like Moira C works a scarflace!

Thanks for this, Greg, I enjoyed watching it. Makes you realise yet again what a pale imitation Pope Pete is. This man was naturally funny, and he knew how to quit when he was ahead. Pope Pete will never be naturally funny if he lives to 200.

The master of the 'double entendre' (and he never prostituted himself on a clapped-out selly telly channel!):

Last edited:
Pervy Pete wishes he had even a thimbleful of the talent this man had. Larry Grayson was a master of the double entendre, created memorable characters like "Everard" and "Dirty Gertie from Number 30" and told hysterically funny stories without being graphic, sneezing over everything, or making anyone watching feel uncomfortable.

But like many comedians who found fame in the 60s and 70s, Grayson paid his dues doing gigs in the northern working men's clubs. He could work an audience like Moira C works a scarflace!

Loved him so funny, remember Slack Alice????

He was effortlessly funny, a comic of the highest order. Anyone trying to imitate him is on to a loser.

What really set Larry Grayson apart from the very ordinary Peter Simon is that Larry Grayson performed for his audience and his audience alone. There was no self indulgence, and talent to spare. Peter Simon (who is a downmarket Selly Telly goon, not a comic) 'performs' for himself, he has extremely little ability and it shows.

But of course a 'performance' shouldn't be required on a bona fide shopping channel :mysmilie_59:

I also remember the late Dustin Gee did a superb Larry Grayson impression 'the muck on 'ere' *mimes wiping finger*

Peter Simon is but a pale imitation of this man

Thanks for that Greg.....now 'Shut that door'.:mysmilie_61:

Didn't he also used to draw his fingers along a surface, look at his fingers and then say "OO, the muck in this place!"? What I liked was he would say a funny line and then move on to the next thing, he didn't drag things out until it got boring to try to get more laughs (yes, Brucie, I do mean you). As someone's already said, he'd served an 'apprenticeship' in the Northern Club scene, where they would let you know in no uncertain terms if you were carp. Pope Pete wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes there - they could see through lack of talent and bulls&&t.
Loved him so funny, remember Slack Alice????

Didn't he also used to draw his fingers along a surface, look at his fingers and then say "OO, the muck in this place!"? What I liked was he would say a funny line and then move on to the next thing, he didn't drag things out until it got boring to try to get more laughs (yes, Brucie, I do mean you). As someone's already said, he'd served an 'apprenticeship' in the Northern Club scene, where they would let you know in no uncertain terms if you were carp. Pope Pete wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes there - they could see through lack of talent and bulls&&t.

Someone? Oooh, hark at her :mysmilie_17:

Apologies, Enigma: previous post wasn't meant to be rude, just written too quickly without checking! :mysmilie_487:

Don't worry, I was just trying some Larry Grayson-inspired mock offence, and I don't think it works properly on a message board!

The man was certainly a one-off, unlike Pope Pete who is a Muck off (spelling isn't my strong point.....)
Don't worry, I was just trying some Larry Grayson-inspired mock offence, and I don't think it works properly on a message board!

Just flicked over to IW for a minute .... The `blossom` show was just starting and Peter Simon (had to look it up as I don`t watch the channel all that much!) He was in full verse giving an embarrassing intro ..is he a frustrated wanna be actor? ..... Why do they allow that ... ?

Just flicked over to IW for a minute .... The `blossom` show was just starting and Peter Simon (had to look it up as I don`t watch the channel all that much!) He was in full verse giving an embarrassing intro ..is he a frustrated wanna be actor? ..... Why do they allow that ... ?

Dunno why they allow it, dunno why they wanted a lock, stock and barrel copy of Bid TV but they clearly did.

I'm lucky that I'm off on holiday tomorrow so will miss all of the Birthday boredom, I doubt it will be a memorable party :mysmilie_59:

I can imagine him when they do rehearsals for the 'show'

PP......right, I'll open the show, all right?
Guest.......ok, how long will that take?
PP......10 minutes?
Guest.......grief! well ok, then I get to show the product?
PP.....yeah right, it's all yours
Guest.......good
PP......but I will interject now and then/often with a few gags
Guest......Gags?
PP.....Gags and stories about our Bet and that, right?
Guest.....I thought this was a shopping channel, that's why I've brought the product here, to sell
PP......It was......err is, all right......but them at 'ome need entertaining, all right, they love me and think I'm dead funny, all right?.......Don't worry, I'll give out plenty of stock updates between gags, it'll fly out, all right?
Guest....:confused:

Latest posts

Back