HP 5542e All-in-One WiFi Printer TSV 11/04/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

HP 5542e All-in-One WiFi Printer
Item Number: 508216
QVC Price £86.00
Today's Special Value Price £69.98
P&P £7.95

This fantastic all-in-one printer allows you to easily print wirelessly from a variety of devices, and can produce everything from colour photos to paperwork in black and white, plus you can scan and copy documents using the easy-to-read display. Quiet and efficient, the HP Envy 5542e will easily take care of all your printing and scanning tasks when you're at home and even when you aren't.

Affordable quality - get high-quality prints again and again with this all-in-one design that's built to be reliable and print more pages for less with its superb quality Original HP high-yield ink cartridges.

Instant Ink - the HP Instant Ink programme is a convenient and cost effective way to manage your ink usage. QVC customers benefit from the added value of an inclusive, 15 pages per month plan. Or, you can choose one of three other plans designed to fit your printing needs - there are no annual fees and you can cancel online anytime without penalty. Terms and conditions apply - see inside box for details.

Fast and easy - simply snap and print lab-quality photos from a variety of smartphones and tablets. With easy setup you can also manage printing tasks and scan from your mobile device with the free, HP All-in-One Printer Remote mobile app.

Projects will always look good - you can print borderless, lab-quality photos and laser-quality documents, plus the built-in photo tray lets you print 10cm x 15cm photos in brilliant colour without changing paper. You can also print remotely without worrying as the auto-deploying output tray keeps your pages from landing on the floor.

Templates and more - you can access loads of free colouring pages, crosswords, and more to keep the whole family busy with HP Printables.

Make it easy - print photo projects, or scan and copy documents, using the 5.5cm (2.2") graphics touchscreen display. Easily print at up to 12 pages per minute (ppm) for black-and-white and 8ppm for colour. Print in any room you choose without causing disruptions using the optional quiet mode, and you can save paper and conserve resources by consuming up to 50% less paper with automatic, two-sided printing.

What's in the box?

HP Envy 5542e All-in-One Printer
1 x HP 62 black ink Cartridge
1 x HP 62 tri-colour ink Cartridge
1 x USB cable
1 x power cord
1 x software CD
Set-up instructions

Technical specifications:

Print speed: up to 12 ppm ISO black (A4); up to 8 ppm ISO colour (A4)
Print resolution: up to 1200 x 1200 rendered dpi (when printing from a computer) black; Up to 4800 x 1200 optimised dpi colour (when printing from a computer with 1200 input dpi on selected HP photo papers and print in maximum dpi)
Print technology: HP Thermal Inkjet
Print area: print margins: 3 mm (all sides); maximum print area: 209.9mm x 349.6mm
Print capabilities: borderless printing: yes (up to 216mm x 297mm)
Mobile printing capability: features Wi-Fi Direct and local Wi-Fi connectivity to enable mobile printing via HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint as well as other solutions. Mopria-certified. Supports printing from most smartphones and tablets using these operating systems: Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows 10 Mobile.
Processor speed: 525MHz
Display: 5.5 cm (2.2") Touchscreen Mono LCD
Connectivity: Hi-Speed USB 2.0; Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
Memory: standard 128MB DDR3
Copier settings: number of copies; 2-sided; Draft; Black; Colour; Quality; Resize; Lighter/Darker; Paper size; Paper Type; Margin Shift; Enhancements; Set as New Defaults; Maximum number of copies: up to 30; Copy resolution: 300 x 300 dpi; Copy resolution, color text and graphics: 600 x 600 dpi; Copier resize: 25% to 400%
Copy speed: up to 10cpm black ISO (A4), Up to 5cpm colour ISO (A4)
Scanner specifications: scanner type: Flatbed; Scan technology: CIS; Scan input modes: Front panel or HP Solution Center desktop scanning to computer, SD card or email; Twain version: Version 1.9; Scan size maximum (flatbed, ADF): 216mm x 297mm; Optical scan resolution: 1200 dpi
Scanned file format: PDF, BMP, JPG, GIF, TIF, PNG
Scan speed: 15 seconds per scan (A4)
Scannable area: maximum media size: 216mm x 297mm
Bit depth/Greyscale levels: 24-bit / 256
Digital sending: Standard: Scan to email (via printer control app); Scan to file (from software); Scan to email
Media types: paper (plain, inkjet, photo), envelopes, transparencies, labels, cards, the HP premium media, iron-on transfers, borderless media
Media sizes: supported A4; A5; B5; DL; C6; A6; Custom: 76mm x 127mm to 216mm x 356mm
Media handling: input capacity: up to 125 sheets; up to 40 sheets transparencies; up to 40 cards; 15 sheets photo paper
Output capacity: up to 25 sheets, up to 5 envelopes
Duplex printing: automatic
Compatible operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista; Mac OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, OS X Yosemite, OS X El Capitan
Minimum system requirements: Windows: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 2GB available hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD drive or Internet connection, USB port, Internet Explorer; Windows Vista: 800 MHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 2GB available hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD drive or Internet connection, USB port, Internet Explorer 8; Mac: OS X v10.8 and newer; 1 GB available hard disk space; Internet; USB
Software included: HP Printer Software, HP Update, Shop for Supplies Online, HP Photo Creations
Printer (w x d x h): minimum: 45.4cm x 41cm x 15.6cm (17.8" x 16.1" x 6.1"); maximum: 45.4cm x 50.3cm x 15.6cm (17.8" x 19.8" x 6.1")
Weight: 6.8kg

Direct despatch: please allow 5 -7 working days for delivery. UK mainland and Northern Ireland only

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.508216

HP printer TSV "INSTANT INK" confusion

What a confusing presentation about the "Instant Ink" extra value.

It seems that if I print no more than 15 pages a month (even if there is only 1 word on the page), HP will send me new cartridges when the ink is running out.

But if I want to print more than 15 pages, I have to pay them £1-99 per month (I think this was for 25 pages, but very confusing).

But once I've signed up for £1-99 per month, I can never go back to the 15 pages per month free service. This is despite him saying there is no contract and I can change packages at any time.

There are more expensive packages for more pages per month, but he couldn't be bothered to explain these.

And if you are paying £7-99 per month for 100 sheets (I had to freeze the video to read the card he was holding) and you print nothing, they will still take £7-99 from you.

And what happens if you want to print more than 100 in a month????

Even Charlie said he'd never heard anything like this before!

And the description just said "Terms and conditions apply, see inside the box" so you have to buy the printer to find out.

Ridiculous IMO.

I know several people who are very happy with the normal HP plans. I didn't see the QVC offer as didn't watch the presentation. The non-QVC plans are:

For £1.99 you get 50 pages, colour or black and white. If you need more it's £1 for each additional 15 pages.
You can carry up to 50 unused pages over to the next month if you don't use them.

For £3.49 you get 100 pages. £1 for each additional 20 pages.
Up to 100 pages can be carried over.

For £7.99 you get 300 pages. £1 for each additional 25 pages.
Up to 300 pages can be carried over.

Unused pages that have been carried over remain available to you for however long you remain enrolled in the plan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

The QVC model doesn't seem to be available anywhere else, not even on the HP site, so can't compare prices.

I am wondering if it would be economic to buy this solely for doing full page colour prints, which use a lot of ink, and using the free 15 pages a month option, so I would never have to buy more ink.

All other printing would be done on my existing printer.

But I suspect there may be something in the T&C's to prevent this.

As far as I can see, the FREE QVC offer lasts for ever, there was no mention of a time limit.

Any comments on this?

Thanks for the info.

The QVC model doesn't seem to be available anywhere else, not even on the HP site, so can't compare prices.

I am wondering if it would be economic to buy this solely for doing full page colour prints, which use a lot of ink, and using the free 15 pages a month option, so I would never have to buy more ink.

All other printing would be done on my existing printer.

But I suspect there may be something in the T&C's to prevent this.

As far as I can see, the FREE QVC offer lasts for ever, there was no mention of a time limit.

Any comments on this?

your looking for the model HP Envy 5542 (Q's model is the 5542e) which im guessing just stands for Envy & thats what i think applies for all the plans im one who dont print out anything as i dont even own a printer & so the idea behind the free or the £1.99 plan would be good if i was to ever start printing

I rang Q, they said the "FREE INK" lasts for ever, provided that you NEVER upgrade to a different plan.

So it could mean a lifetime free supply of ink for 15 colour prints a month, for ever.

I rang Q, they said the "FREE INK" lasts for ever, provided that you NEVER upgrade to a different plan.

So it could mean a lifetime free supply of ink for 15 colour prints a month, for ever.

That's right, he stressed on air that if you upgrade to a 'paid for' package you can not return to the 'free' one.

I think it's a fantastic deal, we have a Canon PIXMA Colour Printer that eats cartridges even from using it for a very modest amount of printing and jeez they are expensive.

This offer would more than cover our needs, we don't really need a new printer but I think I'll get this and sell our old one as it will be cheaper for us before too long :mysmilie_59:

HP’s instant ink service

One of the items in the latest technology show was an HP printer. Dale Franklin mentioned how his daughter, in the early stages of university, had foolishly ordered some wrong cartridges for her printer.
In order to prevent any future mishaps she was (surprise surprise) now using HP’s 'Instant Ink' service. It was presented as a major breakthrough in convenience and savings.

My understanding of Instant Ink is where you give HP your credit card details, along with internet access to your printer (to see how many pages you’re printing), and in return you receive the following:-

1)15 pages free per month (related to ink usage)

2) Ink cartridges are automatically sent to your home without your needing to order them.

Whilst this might sound good, I have some serious reservations:-

1) How do you prove that you have been using exactly 15 pages per month (or more) in the event of a dispute? Bear in mind that anything over 15 pages automatically triggers a charge from your card.

2) Could such a system be hacked, so that false information about usage is fed into the system?

3) Is it just paper usage, or are other details about the items you're printing being sent to HP?

4) I assume you won’t be able to use Instant Ink without an internet connection for your HP printer, so how do you print if there’s no internet connection?

5) Would you be able to use printer cartridges other than HP?

Perhaps I should really address these queries to QVC or HP, but they do seem like perfectly reasonable questions to me.

As regards the supposed cost savings in such a scheme, I’m not entirely convinced. I have a perfectly adequate printer/copier/scanner, even though it’s a few years old. I purchase compatible printer cartridges that are ridiculously cheap, and I’ve never had a problem. Being tied to a particular supplier for your ink, with a potentially intrusive and bothersome arrangement, isn’t something I would view as particularly attractive...and I certainly wouldn’t anticipate any cost savings using this service.

On balance, it seems to me that the manufacturer (any manufacturer, not just HP) has a lot more to gain from this arrangement than the consumer. To put it politely, I remain to be convinced:mysmilie_59:

(Apologies for length, got carried away)

One of the items in the latest technology show was an HP printer. Dale Franklin mentioned how his daughter, in the early stages of university, had foolishly ordered some wrong cartridges for her printer.
In order to prevent any future mishaps she was (surprise surprise) now using HP’s 'Instant Ink' service. It was presented as a major breakthrough in convenience and savings.

My understanding of Instant Ink is where you give HP your credit card details, along with internet access to your printer (to see how many pages you’re printing), and in return you receive the following:-

2) Ink cartridges are automatically sent to your home without your needing to order them.

1) How do you prove that you have been using exactly 15 pages per month (or more) in the event of a dispute? Bear in mind that anything over 15 pages automatically triggers a charge from your card.

2) Could such a system be hacked, so that false information about usage is fed into the system?

3) Is it just paper usage, or are other details about the items you're printing being sent to HP?

4) I assume you won’t be able to use Instant Ink without an internet connection for your HP printer, so how do you print if there’s no internet connection?

Perhaps I should really address these queries to QVC or HP, but they do seem like perfectly reasonable questions to me.

As regards the supposed cost savings in such a scheme, I’m not entirely convinced. I have a perfectly adequate printer/copier/scanner, even though it’s a few years old. I purchase compatible printer cartridges that are ridiculously cheap, and I’ve never had a problem. Being tied to a particular supplier for your ink, with a potentially intrusive and bothersome arrangement, isn’t something I would view as particularly attractive...and I certainly wouldn’t anticipate any cost savings using this service.

On balance, it seems to me that the manufacturer (any manufacturer, not just HP) has a lot more to gain from this arrangement than the consumer. To put it politely, I remain to be convinced:mysmilie_59:

All valid points and questions, what worries me is that they gave unlimited access to your bank card and cand debit at will. Like you I have a printer a few years old, it takes 5 cartridges and I buy non branded. Last time I bought 3 full sets and with postage cost less than £20. They seem to last for ever. For one I would be cautious about the deal and claims they make.

All valid points and questions, what worries me is that they gave unlimited access to your bank card and cand debit at will. Like you I have a printer a few years old, it takes 5 cartridges and I buy non branded. Last time I bought 3 full sets and with postage cost less than £20. They seem to last for ever. For one I would be cautious about the deal and claims they make.

well i know for me this would save me a fortune as i dont print anything as dont own a printer & wouldnt print that much so id always be on the free plan that was exclusive to Q customers

well i know for me this would save me a fortune as i dont print anything as dont own a printer & wouldnt print that much so id always be on the free plan that was exclusive to Q customers
You don't own a printer, don't print ant thing so would save a fortune if you were on this plan? What about the cost of the printer that you would buy and never use?? :mysmilie_48:

When you register the printer for instant ink, the details allow your usage of the printer to be monitored. This is how they know when your printer is running out of ink, and when to send out more cartridges.

The later presentations were much more informative and explained many of my previous queries.

3. It is 15 pages, even if ther is only one letter on the page. They only count the pages.

4. At any time you can remove the instant ink cartridges to do normal printing, then put them back in, that's what they said, but I would worry they may dry up and clog, or leak, once removed.

5. Don't know, but don't see why not (see 4)

6. I would also be worried that they could see everything you printed eg bank statements.

6. I would also be worried that they could see everything you printed eg bank statements.[/QUOTE]

Same could be said anytime you print something if your computer is connected to the internet at the same time.

Latest posts

Back