Halogen Ovens (with Paul Brodel)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
Watching the M8 Halogen Oven hour with chef Paul Brodel this morning, I wonder yet again why IW bother with having presenters? There's him (who comes across as Mr Grumpy personified) and the female presenter, and she's ooing and aahing over the samples she's eating, and burbling 'wonderful', 'terrific' about the food he's cooked. I learnt more about the actual oven from the voice-over that followed, when both presenters were (thankfully) off-screen, so why don't they just have a voice-over telling you the pertinent points, and demonstrating how the oven works, technical details, any maintenance/cleaning procedures, etc.? The only valid reason to have presenters there is so that they can ask the guest relevant questions about things people need to know in order to make a purchase, and the guest can demonstrate how the thing works. Half the time all you get is the presenter just burbling away in the background "wonderful", "fantastic", "the phones have gone mad" - and such poor camera work that you can't see what the demonstrator is doing! Wouldn't it be better to just do away with the presenters altogether, and simply have VT's, where all you see is basically a pair of hands operating the thing? Do we need to see the presenter cramming their face and mumbling? I'm convinced you'd learn more about the product in 5 minutes with a VT than you do in an hour with the IW presenters, including Grumpy Brodel.

I couldn't agree more after watching Gollum filling his face 'just for you at home'

Well he needn't bother doing it for me cos I look away when any of that lot take a mouth full of anything

I couldn't agree more after watching Gollum filling his face 'just for you at home'

Well he needn't bother doing it for me cos I look away when any of that lot take a mouth full of anything

He doesn't get the appreciation he deserves, I mean, stuffing his face full of food just for our benefit. We just don't appreciate him...

I've thought exactly the same H, just put the video on loop and send the Bid twateratti home...........please! please! please! send them home! :mysmilie_13:

Watching the M8 Halogen Oven hour with chef Paul Brodel this morning, I wonder yet again why IW bother with having presenters? There's him (who comes across as Mr Grumpy personified) and the female presenter, and she's ooing and aahing over the samples she's eating, and burbling 'wonderful', 'terrific' about the food he's cooked. I learnt more about the actual oven from the voice-over that followed, when both presenters were (thankfully) off-screen, so why don't they just have a voice-over telling you the pertinent points, and demonstrating how the oven works, technical details, any maintenance/cleaning procedures, etc.? The only valid reason to have presenters there is so that they can ask the guest relevant questions about things people need to know in order to make a purchase, and the guest can demonstrate how the thing works. Half the time all you get is the presenter just burbling away in the background "wonderful", "fantastic", "the phones have gone mad" - and such poor camera work that you can't see what the demonstrator is doing! Wouldn't it be better to just do away with the presenters altogether, and simply have VT's, where all you see is basically a pair of hands operating the thing? Do we need to see the presenter cramming their face and mumbling? I'm convinced you'd learn more about the product in 5 minutes with a VT than you do in an hour with the IW presenters, including Grumpy Brodel.

Hear! Hear! Both IW and QVC are guilty of this - though IW has guest "chefs" with much more personality...

It wouldn't hurt to tell us all this information as a core requirement of a presentation. How it works, how long it takes to heat up, some examples of cooking times, how to clean it, even dare I say it how you can adapt recipes you already have (eg: what are the equivalent settings if you are used to cooking things at gas mark 5)... If the bowl is glass, and gets broken - can a replacement be sourced from M8/IW? It's not the bliddy food we're supposed to be buying - but the thing they got cooked in... so please, please, please tell us about that!

I've had two of the ovens in the past from IW - both broke within a couple of months. Great idea, bad design.

That's probably the reason the presenters are too scared to actually show you how to do anything with the ruddy thing. Much easier to keep munching on whatever's been "made earlier" whilst mumbling platitudes. It so winds me up when they cannot even be bothered to give you a proper demo. of the thing, and to me says that they are not confident using it - if this is the case, so why should anyone part with their hard-earned cash to buy it? Talk about money for old rope presenting for IW - so long as you can say a few stock phrases and pretend that the product has changed your life....you're in!:mysmilie_10:

I've had two of the ovens in the past from IW - both broke within a couple of months. Great idea, bad design.

Lol, yeah, the things he does for us. What a guy. Maybe they will sell industrial strength glue and he can seal his lips shut one day...

Lol, yeah, the things he does for us. What a guy. Maybe they will sell industrial strength glue and he can seal his lips shut one day...

:mysmilie_17:

He has the exact same reaction to whatever he's eating, whatever day, week or year. The eyes shut with shear delight with a momentary look up to the heavens, he bobs about a bit saying 'oh my goodness' and then says 'ooo that is seriously good..........er guys you have to get this.............'

I imagine he'd say it about the glue, just before it set :smirk:

Yes, wouldn't it be great if just for once they told the truth (which probably 'ain't gonna happen) - and screwed up their face, and said "Jeez, that's vile"! I'm sure there's a conveniently-placed sick bucket somewhere just out of camera shot.....:puke:

:mysmilie_17:

He has the exact same reaction to whatever he's eating, whatever day, week or year. The eyes shut with shear delight with a momentary look up to the heavens, he bobs about a bit saying 'oh my goodness' and then says 'ooo that is seriously good..........er guys you have to get this.............'

I imagine he'd say it about the glue, just before it set :smirk:

Latest posts

Back