Tiffany jewellery does it stay looking good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
I was browsing eBay thinking that I might buy a secondhand Tiffany necklace. I found a used one in sterling silver. I was surprised to see that the close up of the serial number tag appeared to be mostly a brass colour. Looks like it was originally silver coloured. Does anyone else have experience of having worn a Tiffany item for a while and seen this kind of wear?

Sterling silver should never look 'brassy', are the tags supposed to be silver too then?

Though in truth, eBay would be the last place on the planet I would be thinking of buying anything Tiffany, must be in the top five of fake items I would think, top three probably! :mysmilie_13:

Sterling silver should never look 'brassy', are the tags supposed to be silver too then?

Though in truth, eBay would be the last place on the planet I would be thinking of buying anything Tiffany, must be in the top five of fake items I would think, top three probably! :mysmilie_13:
I imagine it was a genuine item as it had been a gift that the person had not ever intended to sell (I think relationship breakdown). No idea if the tag was supposed to be silver too, looks like it might have only been silver plated. The reason I ask is that I have a white gold necklace that I bought from my local jeweller and eventually the lobster clasp went brassy coloured. So there I bought what I believed to be white gold but only the chain was.

What I mean is, if sterling silver, it will go black &/or take a reflective petrol like look if tarnished, which all silver will do if not worn/used/cleaned regularly!
If it looks yellow/brassy, that is usually the plate wearing off, exposing the base metal underneath!

:nod:

I imagine it was a genuine item as it had been a gift that the person had not ever intended to sell (I think relationship breakdown). No idea if the tag was supposed to be silver too, looks like it might have only been silver plated. The reason I ask is that I have a white gold necklace that I bought from my local jeweller and eventually the lobster clasp went brassy coloured. So there I bought what I believed to be white gold but only the chain was.

This is fairly standard eBay speak for 'fake'! You might be lucky but I wouldn't care to put money on it, it never ceases to amaze me how many eBay sellers had only just received an item of Tiffany/LV/name any other high end brand you can think of just before they 'split up with their bf'! lol

I don't own any Tiffany so no idea what tags are made of but I would have assumed silver? White gold is tricksy certainly, can often end up the way you've described but silver is silver & shouldn't!

my daughter has several silver tiffany pieces and none have ever turned brassy all are 925 sterling silver hallmarked

Tiffany also sell faux jewellery, never knew this but a friend in NYC used to only buy that direct from the store. But I will say this is a fake for sure. Certain brands are big on the fake list and you really need to be careful, Tiffany for sure also Links of London.

White gold can go brassy looking with wear - it's just the more yellowish gold showing through. Take it to your local jeweller (not chain jeweller as they'll just rip you off) and ask for it to be re-plated.

White gold can go brassy looking with wear - it's just the more yellowish gold showing through. Take it to your local jeweller (not chain jeweller as they'll just rip you off) and ask for it to be re-plated.
I ended up taking my chain to be silver plated (rather than rhodium plated). That was a waste of time as it only looked good for a few months. I have a nickel allergy too so that causes some of the old silver to tarnish badly.

Latest posts

Back