Charles Taylor...Hello Sailor!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

desertranger

Registered Shopper
Peter Simon and a chap called Gary Shaffer were selling a Charles Taylor garden furniture set yesterday (a company so prestigious that they "don’t need to do discounts").

Mr Shaffer received something of a hero's welcome from Peter, who explained how the show needed a man who was 1) a master craftsman of an entrepreneur 2) a man who was not only fulfilled (sic) with a knowledge of landscaping 3) a man who knew about design and the love of beautiful and crafted things. We were also assured that “to see this man is to love him, too”, at which point a clearly awkward Gary thanked him for the intro, before insisting that they "focus on the furniture".

At some point, the theme tune from the Onedin line started playing, remaining a fairly constant feature throughout the rest of the show. Given Peter’s obvious affection for his guest, such rousing music-with its origins involving two lovers-did create a rather unfortunate atmosphere.

This was particularly noticeable when the presenters were seated on two chairs, which Peter described as a 'companion love set'. Gary added that the seats had a Shakesperean connection, saying that, “Romeo and Juliet, they were together, such a sad story, but we’re happier than them at the moment”. Absolutely. Brilliant insight. It all made perfect sense to me.

There were many superlatives heaped on the furniture set during the presentation, but Peter Simon stole the show with a reference to ‘bespoked furniture’. Previously, I was only aware of the term ‘bespoke’- as in ‘tailor made/custom built’.

Bespoked. Have to remember that one:mysmilie_59:

chairs.jpg Companion Love Set, associated with Romeo and Juliet and as used by Peter and Gary:heart:

We have a 'not only' no show, Gen is doing it instead :nod:

Maybe Gary complained lol

Funny you should mention that.

He had been scheduled for one of the Bike Box shows with Tim Britton, only to be replaced by another presenter. Perhaps there's been more than one complaint...

We have a 'not only' no show, Gen is doing it instead :nod:

Maybe Gary complained lol

He had been scheduled for one of the Bike Box shows with Tim Britton, only to be replaced by another presenter. Perhaps there's been more than one complaint...

Can we hope that finally he's being reined in? Or is it that his sales are tanking big time? I can't imagine anything else would get the powers that be to restrict his on air "entertaining".

Would not have that garden furniture anywhere near my garden its awful sorry if anyone has bought it.

I have to agree Mossie, it looks awful, like a toddler made it! I did have a look at Charles Taylor's own website to see if Ideal's 'combined price' of over £1000 was anywhere near close, would you all like to guess if it was?? The whole lot from there was maybe £100 more than IW, but then of course, Ideal did offer free delivery....... oh wait, so did the company themselves :p
Always good to have a poke about.
Was it me, or did the foot stools look completely useless too?

I have to agree Mossie, it looks awful, like a toddler made it! I did have a look at Charles Taylor's own website to see if Ideal's 'combined price' of over £1000 was anywhere near close, would you all like to guess if it was?? The whole lot from there was maybe £100 more than IW, but then of course, Ideal did offer free delivery....... oh wait, so did the company themselves :p

There was a kaffufle between shows when Perv was showing what was coming up in the next hour............looked like he'd stumbled over one of the foot stools and was trying to hoist himself onto the chair. They look too big.

Thinking about it, Gen said something like 'I'll be introducing the man himself (Gary) shortly'......I didn't watch it all but the few times I flicked over, she was presenting on her own.

As garden furniture, I think you're spot on 341691_SUPER__000_20150402.jpg
That said, I do think they missed a trick: they could have easily presented the combined chair and footstool as a shoeshine business opportunity...$_57.JPG

Latest posts

Back