The fading star of Gems.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Don't know if she's gone for good or not, puffin. But then it's like revolving doors at Gemporia at present, so who knows? I didn't care for her much, either, but having these constant new ones is becoming a joke - some of them don't have a clue. The training at Gems seems to have gone down the chute. Off-topic a bit, I caught Rosie Wells actually admitting today that they had found a new deposit of Paraiba Tourmaline in Nigeria. It's apparently only a very small deposit, and all gone now, but they certainly kept that quiet! Can it be because they want to continue to promote it as a rare gem? Other times, they shout it from the rooftops continually when they find a new deposit of something, until we are all sick of hearing it.

Lindsey Gunderson seems to have disappeared as there are two new presenters in the 11 pm slot or has she moved to another slot. I didnt particularly like her but if she has gone as well, what is going on.

Don't know if she's gone for good or not, puffin. But then it's like revolving doors at Gemporia at present, so who knows? I didn't care for her much, either, but having these constant new ones is becoming a joke - some of them don't have a clue. The training at Gems seems to have gone down the chute. Off-topic a bit, I caught Rosie Wells actually admitting today that they had found a new deposit of Paraiba Tourmaline in Nigeria. It's apparently only a very small deposit, and all gone now, but they certainly kept that quiet! Can it be because they want to continue to promote it as a rare gem? Other times, they shout it from the rooftops continually when they find a new deposit of something, until we are all sick of hearing it.

Lindsey is still there shes been on today during the day so perhaps they have changed her time. I would imagine none of them are very keen on having the 11 - 3 night slot. Perhaps they put the newbees in there.

Well, you can bet your bottom dollar that Angeline & Nick and Lynn & Rod won't be doing the 11 pm - 3 am slot, that's for sure! They only do the daytime slots, although Lynn occasionally does the 3pm - 7pm slot. I wonder if this is part of the trouble there - there's a little clique of those who seem to do what hours they want.

Lindsey is still there shes been on today during the day so perhaps they have changed her time. I would imagine none of them are very keen on having the 11 - 3 night slot. Perhaps they put the newbees in there.

Well, you can bet your bottom dollar that Angeline & Nick and Lynn & Rod won't be doing the 11 pm - 3 am slot, that's for sure! They only do the daytime slots, although Lynn occasionally does the 3pm - 7pm slot. I wonder if this is part of the trouble there - there's a little clique of those who seem to do what hours they want.

I think you are absolutely right there. I wonder who is actually in charge at Gems and I don't think its Steve when it comes to shifts. Do they have a shift from 3 - 7 a.m. and if so, who does it. I'm never awake to see.

puffin, Yes, they do have an early shift - Jim Brooman sometimes gets lumbered with this shift, which annoys me. He's one of the better presenters, calm and gives you the facts, not shouting at you like a demented banshee - and he finishes his sentences and words (yes, Adina, that was a subtle hint to you). I wrote a complaint e-mail to Gems recently about the direction they appear to be going in, and how poor some of the presenters are at dealing with the public. Got the usual response from someone in Customer Services, saying it would be passed to Steve. I asked him why Jim Brooman isn't given some peak hours, when he is popular, and why we get stuck with Adina in the evenings, who rarely finishes a sentence, dithers and dothers and waves her hands around like she's signalling with flags.

Perhaps Jim's not a creepy crawler, so they give him the crap hours? Steve Bennett doesn't seem very good at keeping good staff or making use of the better presenters - some of them think they are the bees knees and give themselves airs - but it's bullshit dreaming, IMO. I definitely think Scott Worsfold left for a reason - I personally think there's been a few fallings-out.

I think you are absolutely right there. I wonder who is actually in charge at Gems and I don't think its Steve when it comes to shifts. Do they have a shift from 3 - 7 a.m. and if so, who does it. I'm never awake to see.

puffin, Yes, they do have an early shift - Jim Brooman sometimes gets lumbered with this shift, which annoys me. He's one of the better presenters, calm and gives you the facts, not shouting at you like a demented banshee - and he finishes his sentences and words (yes, Adina, that was a subtle hint to you). I wrote a complaint e-mail to Gems recently about the direction they appear to be going in, and how poor some of the presenters are at dealing with the public. Got the usual response from someone in Customer Services, saying it would be passed to Steve. I asked him why Jim Brooman isn't given some peak hours, when he is popular, and why we get stuck with Adina in the evenings, who rarely finishes a sentence, dithers and dothers and waves her hands around like she's signalling with flags.

Perhaps Jim's not a creepy crawler, so they give him the crap hours? Steve Bennett doesn't seem very good at keeping good staff or making use of the better presenters - some of them think they are the bees knees and give themselves airs - but it's bullshit dreaming, IMO. I definitely think Scott Worsfold left for a reason - I personally think there's been a few fallings-out.

I like Jim too. Perhaps he does other things so the early shifts suit him. I wonder why Rachel and Mark left and where they have gone now. Scott was good as well. I wonder if there is alot of pressure on them to sell and some got fed up with it. I think Kate McCarthy is an example. When she first appeared she was quite calm but shes become shouty and over the top. The sales patter is so obvious that they have had recent training and have certain things they have to say. I dont watch much now and tend to dip in and out. I also wont pay any more than £30 for a piece so I dont watch alot of the shows

Lynn did the 3pm-7pm slot for couple of years and has just returned to 7pm-11pm

There was talk on both Mark and Rachel's personal presenters pages along with the main Gems facebook page that they might have been tempted over to QVC.
There was a LOT of comments along the lines how can they go to work on a channel who sell a HUGE amount of costume jewelry, as Gems is now running a huge "ditch your fake gem stone jewelry" campaign, and they both have said on air that they would never either own or sell fakes!!
Only time will tell as they must have had some sort of clause in their contract about going to work for a direct competitor.

Good point, puffin, it could be due to other commitments, but I have seen him on later shows, although very few and far between. I think you are right about the increased pressure on all of them, which is why I don't watch much - and always watch with the sound turned down. I've just watched a few minutes of Rae Carpenter and she seems OK, but may get more 'shouty' as her session progresses.

I like Jim too. Perhaps he does other things so the early shifts suit him. I wonder why Rachel and Mark left and where they have gone now. Scott was good as well. I wonder if there is alot of pressure on them to sell and some got fed up with it. I think Kate McCarthy is an example. When she first appeared she was quite calm but shes become shouty and over the top. The sales patter is so obvious that they have had recent training and have certain things they have to say. I dont watch much now and tend to dip in and out. I also wont pay any more than £30 for a piece so I dont watch alot of the shows

madmax, thanks - I don't do Facebook, so didn't know this. I know Derek Marks moved from Gems to TJC, although that would have been about 5-6 years ago. Maybe their contracts specify that there has to be a certain time period in between them leaving Gems and starting work for a competitor? I can't remember how quickly Diddy Derek turned up on TJC after leaving Gems.
There was talk on both Mark and Rachel's personal presenters pages along with the main Gems facebook page that they might have been tempted over to QVC.
There was a LOT of comments along the lines how can they go to work on a channel who sell a HUGE amount of costume jewelry, as Gems is now running a huge "ditch your fake gem stone jewelry" campaign, and they both have said on air that they would never either own or sell fakes!!
Only time will tell as they must have had some sort of clause in their contract about going to work for a direct competitor.

Historymystery Ive just seen Angeline on until 7.00. That must be a first. She normally does 11 - 3. Perhaps they have been reading what we've been saying on here:mysmilie_19:

Historymystery Ive just seen Angeline on until 7.00. That must be a first. She normally does 11 - 3. Perhaps they have been reading what we've been saying on here:mysmilie_19:

She was doing extra shift, she should have been off today as it was her weekend on.

puffin, wow, yes! I cannot recall the last time I saw her do early evening slots - years ago, probably. Maybe someone phoned in sick, and she was "persuaded" to do it :mysmilie_17:

Good point, puffin, it could be due to other commitments, but I have seen him on later shows, although very few and far between. I think you are right about the increased pressure on all of them, which is why I don't watch much - and always watch with the sound turned down. I've just watched a few minutes of Rae Carpenter and she seems OK, but may get more 'shouty' as her session progresses.

Rae is quite good. Knows what she is talking about (or atleast has the confidence to give a good impression that she does)

I think it's quite admirable personally that they seem willing to give people a chance in tv work, even if it is sticking them on at 3am.

Agree about Rae, mr tom, but I think Steve Bennett has a lot of work to do to pull this channel round. I'm all for giving new presenters a chance, but too many new presenters who are quite obviously floundering doesn't give a good impression - and this is what you have now, because they've lost too many of the experienced presenters.
Rae is quite good. Knows what she is talking about (or atleast has the confidence to give a good impression that she does)

I think it's quite admirable personally that they seem willing to give people a chance in tv work, even if it is sticking them on at 3am.

Agree about Rae, mr tom, but I think Steve Bennett has a lot of work to do to pull this channel round. I'm all for giving new presenters a chance, but too many new presenters who are quite obviously floundering doesn't give a good impression - and this is what you have now, because they've lost too many of the experienced presenters.

The thing is that it's obvious that 11-3 is always Angeline and Ellis because they are the ''stars'' and can do what they want... then it is totally random as to who else will be on when.

Latest posts

Back