Ultrasun - NOT Safe As Described

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Abi looks a bit like the late Victoria Wood. I think it's the pudding-bowl hairdo and the frumpette clothing. The only thing that makes me laugh about Abi is her sheer ability to tell blatant lies and get away with it. Awful, awful woman! I might write into QVC and see what their official answer is to the Which? criticism. They will no doubt spout some anodyne drivel about laboratory testing and accreditation.

I don't pay close attention to the Ultrasun shows because I'm not keen on Abi's rather smug style. Does she give details about the star system for UVA too, or just the SPF for UVB (have I got them the right way round ?).

I contacted Ultrasun about a UVA rating a few years ago and actually spoke to Abi herself. She said it Ultrasun couldn't give a UVA rating due to EU laws! She, as usual, was talking nonsense. The products were tested and the UVA protection was found not to be good. Boots Soltan has 5-star UVA as do a number of brands. I particularly like Ambre Solaire as the smell reminds me of holidays and summer!

I can't imagine any product being able to be used once, I think we have to be sensible and judge for ourselves. I will be opting for the sensitive Amber solaria this year, it seems to have the same amount of protection as Ultasun and much cheaper. Not convinced by Abi on Q, by the way there is a TSV in 17th June. Curious to see what it is from Ultrasun.

Most people have common sense and realise one application probably isn't enough. If I had small children in and out of the pool all day id be ultra careful, although I must say I do still see adults like lobsters as soon as they get a bit of sun.

To be fair I think they do say to reapply on small children who are in the pool. I wouldn't take the risk .I remember getting burned at the local Lido, we used to spend all summer there and a great place it was for us kids,sadly long since demolished like most Lidos. No one knew about sun tan lotion back then. I keep an eye on my skin now because of getting burned and no longer sit in the sun.

Last edited:
No such thing as common sense when it comes to sun protection with for many people unfortunately.

Abi looks a bit like the late Victoria Wood. I think it's the pudding-bowl hairdo and the frumpette clothing. The only thing that makes me laugh about Abi is her sheer ability to tell blatant lies and get away with it. Awful, awful woman! I might write into QVC and see what their official answer is to the Which? criticism. They will no doubt spout some anodyne drivel about laboratory testing and accreditation.
More than likely you will get the response they send when you post an honest review that it does not meet their guidelines.

I contacted Ultrasun about a UVA rating a few years ago and actually spoke to Abi herself. She said it Ultrasun couldn't give a UVA rating due to EU laws! She, as usual, was talking nonsense. The products were tested and the UVA protection was found not to be good. Boots Soltan has 5-star UVA as do a number of brands. I particularly like Ambre Solaire as the smell reminds me of holidays and summer!
May be it should be renamed 'Ultracon'

I use the Factor 30 and reapply whenever I feel it's needed. I would never rely on a once a day approach but I wouldn't sit in full sun if I can possibly avoid it. I've not had sunburn or prickly heat since I've been using this, which must be many years now. All the children in my family use it and again, it's applied frequently. Having said this, I did decide one year to use the Factor 50 as I was going on holiday abroad in August. It was a big mistake as the product separate like curds and whey. It was completely unusable and I had to buy more cream. It was more expensive too. Lesson learned by me. I stick to what I know will work and I don't take risks.

The UVA star rating is a proprietary Boots system. They used to let all brands they sold use it, but then stopped (for the lower-priced brands at least). Don't know if it's resumed since this article from 2011.

alison young repeated its once a day application this afternoon. tbh its not great with my prickly heat and i dont like the textures not moisturizing

Ultrasun works like a charm for me, and i will continue to use it.

I have a number of requirements from sunscreen, and it ticks all boxes
- high spf
- non greasy formulas
- doesn't leave white cast
- doesnt sting my sensitive eyes
- i don't burn while wearing it.

It is the only brand i have ever found that does all of these. Love it.

Nobody should be out in the sun 'all day'. And Abby has said for years that in hot places, or all day exposure, or in and out of a pool, of course you should reapply. I've been watching the shows for years and remember her saying this, for years.

I, like most people with common sense, will use spf when we need it. That doesn't usually mean a 7am application followed by 12 hours on a sun lounger!

I apply before leaving the house, stay out for 2-3 hours, avoid the hottest part of the day, and maybe see a bit more sun in the afternoon/early evening when the intensity is out of the sun. If i am going out again for major sun exposure late in the day i would have showered before going out again so would need to reapply anyway, because of the shower gel cleaning the first application off.

Ultrasun has its good points - the pump dispenser is good, the product, though "unscented" does have a sort of lecithin-granules type smell to it which is nice and the UVB protection is good.

Downsides are:

1) It is expensive.
2) It is laced with aluminium.
3) The UVA protection is poor.

I would also recemmend Avon....when we took our sons to Spain in August a few years ago ...( my youngest is a red head ) I chased them around and applied ( not an all day one though ) every 2 to 3 hours ....when we came back my sis in law said ..."I thought you went to Spain "! :mysmilie_19: they did not burn at all ...August has fierce heat there as we all know so that was a real test...but it wasn't once a day etc ......however I am very pale skinned ...and Ultrasun is amazing for me ....we are all different as many have said ..but I always recemmend it ....

To the many people who have either purchsed or are thinking of purchasing this product, do not be fooled in to thinking it is safe as a once a day application....one of the main selling points of the product.

Read this report and it is named. Loses 74£ of it`s effectiveness after half a day. Maybe QVC meed to stop selling this product. Supermarket own brands tested better! So not only is Ultrasun expensive, it is NOT as safe as they claim apparently.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/offbeat/warning-over-once-a-day-sunscreens-1-7935985

Ah but - QVC have a legal department, so they're not allowed legally to make claims - donchya knows!!!!

If you search Ultrasun on the QVC website a photo appears with wording including "one application is all that's needed for all-day defence". To me that's a pretty clear statement that you do not need to re-apply. If one application is not sufficient under certain circumstances they should make that clear by changing the wording for example adding "re-application may be necessary depending on individual circumstances".

There was another article in the Mail today about sunscreens. It burbled on about how 57% (I forget the exact percentage but it was something like that) use last year's / outdated sunscreen, thereby reducing protection. I'm using last year's Soltan, and it's protected me fine on the few days of sun we've had. Today was freezing and overcast.
There's virtually no difference between a Factor 15 and 30 anyway.

I've mentioned on another thread that the two previous TSVs of this year got some reviews that people had skin burnt. Just looked at the reviews on the latest Ultrasun TSV in July of this year, and almost everyone says they had burnt!!! If they changed the formula why are they using the same packaging? But more to the point what's going on? Obviously they are trying to save money on the ingredients putting in something cheap. I think their reputation is going to be ruined very soon if they don't fix it.

http://www.qvcuk.com/Ultrasun-5-Pie...erringItem=232874&recommendationTypeId=IOFFER

Not every company will use new packaging if they tweak the products. They may have thousands of the older package waiting to be used. You need to get a bottle and compare the ingredients to see if something has moved up or down or just been removed. Liz Earle comes in its original packaging yet quite a few state it now breaks them out. The organic ingredients have moved down the ingredient list compared to the older stuff, but they can still say same ingredients because they are.

I am always confused by how 'ingrained' Q presenters seem to be with this product, as some products are 'in the real world' good products, Dyson (which seemingly has a TSV on a weekly basis), Lock and Lock and other beauty brands, so I am surprised that they still want to keep promoting something, that has had a lot of negative press (and even when just testing the product it never lives up to the hype that Q seem to bestow upon it), so I am as I surprised as something as important as skin health care, is one of the most important things to look after when in the sun and if people are actually taking Q as gospel (apart from needing a psychiatrist for believing that what they say is gospel), Q then has a responsibility to make sure that what they are saying is accurate and medically sound (if you think about it Ultrasun (or any sun-cream), is in reality bordering on a 'medical product'. So it is important that the information imparted is medically sound. I know Abi likes to keep on going on about some health authorities prescribe this and certain Police/Fire Forces use them, this may or may not be true (DPA and all that), but surely if they have a legal department (which they insist that they do), then surely this department needs to look again at the 'wider world' evidence given and the claims that are made by the 'sun police sergeant' and try to ascertain who is actually correct!

To give them some (a very small amount) of credit a couple of years or so ago when it first came out that 'once a day applications' were not really viable, they did change their spiel and indicate that in hot countries (this year they have extended that to vulnerable skin (medical/elderly/youngsters) re-applying during the day, this then doesn't make the product that economical. It is probably better to get a 'cheaper' brand, knowing that you have to reapply as that way you are going to get continuous coverage, as because you are re-applying (because the tube states that you should), then you are going to get continuous cover, it will probably work out about the same (especially if like some testers have stated 'budget supermarket' brands are coming out to be good value), then the total cost may be similar.

It didnt work for me at all.I have sensitive skin and prickly heat. I realise a sun screen will not cure prickly heat but Abby convinced me it could protect against it .Thats why I bought it .The facial version made my skin redder if anything ,so I didnt buy it again .
This year I have stayed out of the sun more and so far have not endured prickly heat.

I don't think anything will protect with one application all day either.

Latest posts

Back