I thought Craig was a nice person

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've always considered if people wanted me to know about their life they would have the manners to contact me directly, if not then I reckon we aren't close enough to bother. Just me being old fashioned as I don't approve of personal details for all and sundry to see, in particular children, to such an extent I think it should be a crime to plaster children and their details on social media.

Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree but does this relate to my earlier post about my nieces and nephew on FB ? They're lovely people with busy jobs so I'm content that they share their lives with me in this way, bless'em.

I shouldn't think so Eric's Mum, I didn't read into it as anything personal to any particular post, just a generalisation - but a good point from the children aspect.

I think it depends on your security settings and your choice of "friends". Some people have hundreds of Facebook friends who they don't know from Adam. Me personally I have circa 45 friends, the vast majority are genuine, life long friends, and family, trusted colleagues and ex-colleagues and family overseas. One or two are friends from my "online" and ST world, and so far I have not had any bonkers ones (wave, you know who you are). For me, the pictures of my kids are few and far between and on the whole are for the benefit of our family in New Zealand.

I am not "friends" on FB with any of my relatives or offline friends at all, so spend no time looking at people's selfies, pics of tattoos etc. My FB "friends" are all over the world, and together we have formed a rescue network that is raising hundreds of thousands of pounds and rescuing and rehoming thousands of dogs and cats that would otherwise have suffered torture and death in their home countries.

On Sunday we flew 10 dogs from Bangkok to Los Angeles. They had been rescued from the Thai dog meat trade when activists stopped a truck carrying 300 street dogs and stolen pets to Vietnam, where they would have been tortured to death and eaten. The torture is said to make the meat taste better. Waiting for these 10 dogs at LA airport were volunteers from one of their dog charities and several families that had already adopted some of our doggie passengers. Two more have been adopted in the past couple of days, and very soon all 10 will have loving homes and will be living the happy lives that all dogs should live.

These "Freedom Flights" and rescues are happening all the time all over the world, and without a tool like Facebook our network couldn't function. How else could £2,000 be raised in 4 hours for surgery on a street dog found in agony in an alley in Egypt that day, having been beaten so badly that it's back is broken? How else, within a couple of days, could a month's food be paid for and delivered to a public shelter in Romania, where 500 dogs are starving to death because the town council has collected them off the streets and dumped them in the shelter with no food or water? How else would a ten year old dog that's spent its entire life alone, tied to a chain on a roof in Greece, find itself loved for the first time in its life in a home in Sussex, with good food, a comfy bed, and doggie siblings to play with? It's possible because of FB.

There are thousands of other networks too, doing great work in other fields using FB. They are working for and supporting the elderly, the mentally ill and abused children to name just three. The image of FB being projected here is far from the truth, and I really wish people would stop putting down people that use it and educate themselves and learn what it's really about.

. . . . . Just me being old fashioned as I don't approve of personal details for all and sundry to see, in particular children, to such an extent I think it should be a crime to plaster children and their details on social media.

I agree, which is why I and everyone I know use their FB settings to stop strangers seeing anything they post. My posts can only be seen by those I specify, and none of my personal details can be seen by anyone but me. If anyone here looked at my FB page, for example, all they'd see is a blank page.

...........really wish people would stop putting down people that use it and educate themselves and learn what it's really about............

Hmmmmm, sounds like thats me told then !!! but I've reached the stage in life where I cant be a......ed to be 'educated' with something that isn't going to enhance my life one iota.

But if you don't understand what it's possible to do with it, how can you know that it can't enhance your life? You must have some interests, passions, charitable areas that you care about? Whatever they are there are thousands of like-minded people on FB that can broaden those particular horizons and enrich your experience of whatever it is that you care about. I avoided FB for years because I thought the same as you, but since I realised I was wrong I've met some extraordinary and amazing people who have enriched my life enormously.

Last edited:
Yes Facebook is a good way of keeping in touch I suppose, but so is picking up the phone too. I can see FB advantages but I don't like it, nor would I ever use it. I don't think it's safe, but that's just me. In days of hacking etc, someone could easily find out about you, no matter how private. I don't do Twitter either because that opens you up to abuse, so I do things the old fashioned way, if I want to talk to my friends I meet up or I ring them, if I want to see my family I visit them and there's nothing better than that face to face interaction, but each to their own.

Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree but does this relate to my earlier post about my nieces and nephew on FB ? They're lovely people with busy jobs so I'm content that they share their lives with me in this way, bless'em.

I reconnected again, with my German pen pal from school, after over 30 years. If she had not seen me on fb we may not be in regular contact, and I have been invited over.

We've got Craig & Coral cooing over Links of London pieces now, personally I can't see the value in this stuff & I find the combination of these 2 nauseating.( miserable old woman signing off now)

I have never understood the 'kudos' around the Links of London brand, it looks like 'cheap' friendship type of jewellery, flogged at a price only people with too much money have (IMO), yet they flog it on Q so either there is too much money floating around, or there is more to the brand than can be seen when viewing from a TV screen!

Still don't get FB. I do have some 'real friends' who dip in and out but they say it's boring and comes across fake mostly! One close friend uses it daily but only to keep in contact with her daughter who works and lives on the other side of the world! I would probably do same! :mysmilie_5:

Facebook is like everything else, it can be useful, it can be abused and it can become a way of life for some people. I know people who spend almost 24/7 attached to their facebook page and post everything they eat, do or see. Others like myself, dip in and out of it and read it as and when I feel like it and post now and again. I`m in a couple of facebook groups which post bargain finds and share voucher codes or website discounts.
Facebook really came into its own for me when my oldest son was out in Afghanistan with the Army. They were often out on patrols and when they returned to Camp Bastion they could use the internet room to post messages on facebook for everybody, family and friends to see in one go. That way I always knew he was safe when he`d posted on fb. His mobile was often out of signal plus it was expensive to use from over there, the Army gave them just one 60 minute phone card per week which he used to call his wife and children and the time difference often meant finding the right time to call around his job, wasn`t easy. If I woke one morning to find he`d posted a comment , a joke or a photo then it put my mind at rest.

What I am interested to know, and hopefully all you FB users can tell me ; is, I've heard that once you register on Facebook, its impossible to cancel your account, so all photos and information are 'out there' for eternity.

. . . . I don't think it's safe, but that's just me. In days of hacking etc, someone could easily find out about you, no matter how private.

They will only get what you choose to give them. My FB account would give a hacker nothing. Not my real name, no address, no phone number, no date of birth, no country, no photos of me. Just an email address that I opened for FB only, which has no connection with anything else in my life, and which I could close in 5 minutes without affecting anything else in my life. My account has absolutely nothing in it about me, so is perfectly safe. The only thing my posts reveal is that I'm in the UK, but not which UK country. Not even FB themselves could find out anything about me.

What I am interested to know, and hopefully all you FB users can tell me ; is, I've heard that once you register on Facebook, its impossible to cancel your account, so all photos and information are 'out there' for eternity.

Not true. You have two choices : you can Deactivate your account or you can Delete it. Deactivating it means the account is held in limbo - it becomes invisible to other FB users and your posts all disappear as if you were never there, but if you decide you want to use it again you can reactivate it and carry on as if you've never been away. If you Delete your account everything is gone for good and can't be retrieved because FB delete everything including technical back-ups. The only files that can sometimes remain are technical files that FB's internal system uses and which they can't delete for technical reasons - but personal identifiers are removed from those so they can't be linked to any user. If you Delete your account it's like you were never there.

I use FB to keep up with my nieces and nephew, all in their 20's and FAR too busy to actually pick up the phone to their aunty. I know that at 60 I'm nearly old enough to be their granny !
Anyway I like seeing the photos they post and I sometimes add a cheeky comment. At that level it's harmless, a big of fun.

Yes I keep up with old school friends and family in USA, Australia and Thailand and friends made over the years as well as family. If I have no idea who the person is, I don't accept them .

I agree, which is why I and everyone I know use their FB settings to stop strangers seeing anything they post. My posts can only be seen by those I specify, and none of my personal details can be seen by anyone but me. If anyone here looked at my FB page, for example, all they'd see is a blank page.

Yes my FB page cannot be seen by strangers.

I've seen Craig go 'all girly' with male guests before and I cringe. Fair enough once off-air but not while he's working, I find it very distracting.

I can't stand his perma-grin, reminds me of Zebedee. His continuous and ridiculous hand gestures remind me of the windmill in Camberwick Green.

I had to speak to groups of clients in my job, luckily my employers had the sense to send me on a public speaking course. Exaggerated hand gestures are one of the biggest No No's when talking to an audience.

I do find I can't watch him, he is smarmy.

Not true. You have two choices : you can Deactivate your account or you can Delete it. Deactivating it means the account is held in limbo - it becomes invisible to other FB users and your posts all disappear as if you were never there, but if you decide you want to use it again you can reactivate it and carry on as if you've never been away. If you Delete your account everything is gone for good and can't be retrieved because FB delete everything including technical back-ups. The only files that can sometimes remain are technical files that FB's internal system uses and which they can't delete for technical reasons - but personal identifiers are removed from those so they can't be linked to any user. If you Delete your account it's like you were never there.

Not true. Unless I've read it wrong it says at the end that information remains after you close your account.
https://en-gb.facebook.com/help/224562897555674

Latest posts

Back