QVC Hi-Tech advert

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Seems they are trying to appeal to every demographic - they have a elderly couple sitting looking wistful, two gay men kissing in Battersea Park and various other types. Looks as though Q are trying to push the boundaries and dispense with stereotypes.

this has been the ad for quite some time now, i see nothing wrong with it at all.

Seems they are trying to appeal to every demographic - they have a elderly couple sitting looking wistful, two gay men kissing in Battersea Park and various other types. Looks as though Q are trying to push the boundaries and dispense with stereotypes.

When QVC do something like this, they may as well have a big neon banner going across the tv screen reading "there! will buy from us now the gays and the elderly because look! we've made a twenty second VT and you're in it!"...........then back to home makers, drills on Sunday and only using women in their beauty shows, I'm pretty sure a man can rest on a couch getting Elemis/Decleor or Gainooooo massaged into his face.

QVC haven't changed from day one. Mum in the kitchen baking with the children, seventy year old nan and grandad popping round to see the grandkids, dad in the shed and mowing the lawn and doing some d.i.y on Sunday, his only day off. A twenty second clip highlighting the elderly, gay and disabled when nothing else in the company has changed, I feel this demographic would find offensive, using them just to sell goods. My gay work colleague/friends take on things like this is, if you want me to feel normal, don't shout about it, just let me be because the louder you shout I'm "accepted" the more I feel I'm not.

My son is gay and I personally think the little VT is nothing but showing how technology works in the modern world. I cannot imagine my grandmother ever using an iPad or anything technological but bother my mum and dad are using iPads, fitbits, they're better on them than me at times.
I'd be the first person in the queue with my fist waving in the air if I thought they were trying to just prove a point or sell based on that VT including every demographic

Obviously got the Equality and Diversity brief and thought which area of Q is accessible (or should be) to all, they thought of tech and decided to 'wheel' with it!

All companies do it, demographic of their products show everyone can use.

Simple its called advertising.

Last month on the moneysaving site a thread about IW and quite a few complaining about the company returns, products and the high rate phone numbers they use.

The sceptic in me says it is just a selling ploy by Q. Whilst I don't like swearing and don't want to hear it on Q I remember in the past a show going over to taped footage just because some let slip a mild swear word. And we all remember the panic attacks when Joan Rivers was on.

I would like to hope that it is just reflecting a change in the world in 2016 and perhaps there is a bigger proportion of gay people in the media who want to reflect themselves in normal everyday situtation but it's just a pity that others don't do the same for women, over 60's, mums, dads because Q's stereotypes of these are 50 years behind the times.

QVC Hi-Tech advert

The advert don't bother me, but who they have on as Tech presenters do, the likes of Lee Hohbein and Abby Horn have me running for the off button......

The sceptic in me says it is just a selling ploy by Q. Whilst I don't like swearing and don't want to hear it on Q I remember in the past a show going over to taped footage just because some let slip a mild swear word. And we all remember the panic attacks when Joan Rivers was on.

I would like to hope that it is just reflecting a change in the world in 2016 and perhaps there is a bigger proportion of gay people in the media who want to reflect themselves in normal everyday situtation but it's just a pity that others don't do the same for women, over 60's, mums, dads because Q's stereotypes of these are 50 years behind the times.

I know! There were the wistful old dears sitting down, possibly wondering where the put their Readers' Digest as they watch the gay men "necking."

All companies do it, demographic of their products show everyone can use.

Simple its called advertising.

Last month on the moneysaving site a thread about IW and quite a few complaining about the company returns, products and the high rate phone numbers they use.

And QVC get complaints about expensive p&p, slow delivery, slow returns, expensive goods, painstakingly long refunds, used goods getting sent out as new. QVCs phone number isn't free, hence the expensive p&p and goods, it's the customer that pays for the "freephone" even the people that don't use it, with IW you never need to ring if you don't want to, meaning you get what you pay for. I'm not getting into an IW debate, I've used both companies for a long time and for me, IW win by a long shot, their service from start to finish is excellent.

I know! There were the wistful old dears sitting down, possibly wondering where the put their Readers' Digest as they watch the gay men "necking."

I might be old but a quick peck on the cheek is hardly necking is it... at least it wasn't in my day.

I know this was the hi-tech promo, but some of the other promo's make me think Q has lost the plot (well lost even more of the plot).

The ad for 'Beauty Month' (the women being interviewed asking where she got the beauty items from)
The Diamonique promo (a bit etheral for my liking (don't like anything etheral as makes me feel strange, don't know why))
Charlie Bears (doesn't really need any explanation really does it!)
The VO man who is currently advertising the 'Gardening Pick' of the month, with the line 'much loved' referring to 'the gnomes' gardening range.

I will shut up now (well for this post at least), but what do others think of the promo's (best and worst)

I know this was the hi-tech promo, but some of the other promo's make me think Q has lost the plot (well lost even more of the plot).

The ad for 'Beauty Month' (the women being interviewed asking where she got the beauty items from)
The Diamonique promo (a bit etheral for my liking (don't like anything etheral as makes me feel strange, don't know why))
The VO man who is currently advertising the 'Gardening Pick' of the month, with the line 'much loved' referring to 'the gnomes' gardening range.

I will shut up now (well for this post at least), but what do others think of the promo's (best and worst)

That one p*sses me off no end. Brands you can't find on the high street she says. Er, yes you can. Bobbi Brown, Elemis etc are all widely available on the high street.

QVC Hi-Tech advert

The advert don't bother me, but who they have on as Tech presenters do, the likes of Lee Hohbein and Abby Horn have me running for the off button......

Like Lee's presentations fairly informative. Agree on Abby, shouts, goes on too much and seems more interested in her hair and nail colour! Switch her off everytime :mysmilie_12:

Current hate is the beauty month one where the ugly one is interrogating the pretty one as mentioned above
Past ones have been the old Judith Williams one where she “dukes” around a tree
Also hate the Carol Hockman one with them all in the bedroom on different tech stuff (actually it took me ages to realise they were all the same woman – should have known as they were all so smug and self satisfied looking)

Anything with useless Will in it

I think all adverts, not just on QVC feel they have to do the all encompassing PC angle, but they do it so badly. Here's black and white couples, here's gay people, here's elderly people and disabled people and guess what, they're joining in with everything. Yes we should have all of that on adverts but it's all so contrived. Why not just make the adverts more "everyday life" rather than "hey look, two men kissing" or "hey look, this white girl is with a black guy". Of course they are - it's life.

CC

Modern advertising in a nutshell-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YBtspm8j8M

It doesn't matter what demographic they're trying to appeal to or whether or not they hit all the PC notes, but the constant interruptions for their ads drives me nuts! There are more promos than show now. And I think it's very rude to interrupt a guest with adverts for the competition!

Like Lee's presentations fairly informative. Agree on Abby, shouts, goes on too much and seems more interested in her hair and nail colour! Switch her off everytime :mysmilie_12:

Lee Holbien, is good to a point, but he has the same 'stock statement's for all products

1) He could talk for hours about ..... (insert product name)
2) Apple products are 'aspirational' and the shop lets you 'play with them' but not take them home etc...
There are probably many others, one thing I always smile to myself about though is the fact that he can with a 'straight face' go on about how we need the 'added value' in our lives (particularly on the Apple products), that is one (and only (no I am not going to do a Chesney Hawkes (is that me showing my age?))) thing that I will 'raise my glass' to him for!

Current hate is the beauty month one where the ugly one is interrogating the pretty one as mentioned above
Past ones have been the old Judith Williams one where she “dukes” around a tree
Also hate the Carol Hockman one with them all in the bedroom on different tech stuff (actually it took me ages to realise they were all the same woman – should have known as they were all so smug and self satisfied looking)

Anything with useless Will in it

Yep what is the 'use' of William, also (just been on which is why it is 'fresh' in my mind. the way that there is a 'new' way to return Q parcel's (of course surely no-one is going to return a Q parcel are they!), any case that advert has been going on for at least a year so it is hardly 'new' is it (or is my definition of 'new' wrong?

Latest posts

Back