Taya haircase 'expert' and the most offensive comment I have heard on QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
I had to do a double rewind on my TV to confirm my ears were correct
This evenings Taya show, the hairstylist made, what I consider is an incredibly insensitive comment

'split ends in hair grow like a cancer'

Now maybe I am over reacting, or maybe I am currently a little sensitive right now to the word cancer, however, I think the lady who blurted this out on air should formally apologise.

Goodness knows what Ali Keenan must have thought as the camera flicked onto her shortly after, to preview next hour of diamonique

Personally I am disgusted, and yup, that one reason has made me switch off and decline form purchasing any Taya product

I think you're being over-sensitive, TBH. She used a metaphor that is pretty accurate. All she was saying was that split ends divide and that this division is hard to control. That is exactly what cancer cells do.

I can't see any reason why she should apologise for using an accurate and vivid analogy.

(There's too much taking offense and demanding apologies for harmless comments in these days of Generation Snowflake.)

I think if your family has been touched by something it makes you very aware of throwaway comments.

I know that I have to listen every day to remarks which cut to the nerve due to a family situtation. Very few people know about it and therefore I can sort of forgive their thoughtlessness but some years ago I did work with people who knew and they showed absolutely no mercy constantly using phrases which I found extremely hurtful. They weren't going to change so I moved on.

We are all guilty of shooting off at the mouth, maybe we should pause for a second?

Extreme and emotive selling tactic deliberately to shock. Yes split ends need addressing as part of our hair care regimen but to use cancer to sell hair gunk or whatever was an extreme shopping telly tactic that is unnecessary and desperate. The cell division analogy is lost when you are sitting there with a cuppa in hand, wanting a bit of banality after a busy day, whilst waiting for your dinner to cook. Chris Steel on This Morning it ain't!

I had to do a double rewind on my TV to confirm my ears were correct
This evenings Taya show, the hairstylist made, what I consider is an incredibly insensitive comment

'split ends in hair grow like a cancer'

Now maybe I am over reacting, or maybe I am currently a little sensitive right now to the word cancer, however, I think the lady who blurted this out on air should formally apologise.

Goodness knows what Ali Keenan must have thought as the camera flicked onto her shortly after, to preview next hour of diamonique

Personally I am disgusted, and yup, that one reason has made me switch off and decline form purchasing any Taya product

I agree, "cancer" is most certainly not like split ends, unless split ends claims people's lives by a painful, debilitating illness.

I think you're being over-sensitive, TBH. She used a metaphor that is pretty accurate. All she was saying was that split ends divide and that this division is hard to control. That is exactly what cancer cells do.

I can't see any reason why she should apologise for using an accurate and vivid analogy.

(There's too much taking offense and demanding apologies for harmless comments in these days of Generation Snowflake.)

I don't watch QVC and I know I wouldn't have been offended by it if I'd heard it but I would've thought it in poor taste. I know people who are losing loved ones, family, friends would've, and quite rightly so, been offended comparing split ends to cancer, you couldn't get two less similar things if you tried. Nothing should ever be compared to that cruel, hateful illness especially when it's used to sell products, but that's just my opinion.

Ideal World had Taya before QVC and I'm sure it wasn't the same guest presenter, might be wrong though.

I can't believe someone actually used those words in order to sell Hair products. How thoughtless and ignorant that woman must be. She should apologise and so should the powers that be at QVC.

People do it all the time, 'I nearly had a fit' (my own father asphyxiated during a seizure), 'My heart stopped', 'I died on the spot', 'He's a nutter', etc.etc. They are just turns of phrase, not intended to offend. It doesn't do to be too sensitive IMO, you only upset yourself.

People do it all the time, 'I nearly had a fit' (my own father asphyxiated during a seizure), 'My heart stopped', 'I died on the spot', 'He's a nutter', etc.etc. They are just turns of phrase, not intended to offend. It doesn't do to be too sensitive IMO, you only upset yourself.

Yes of course these are just turns of phrase and I'd like to think they're not made in front of people who have actually had their heart stop, or people who know someone who has died on the spot, that would be insensitive, the difference is people who make these comments probably aren't on a shopping channel that goes out to millions, were some people will actually know someone, or who are themselves, fighting Cancer and they won't appreciate their suffering being used to sell hair care. Don't get me wrong, I don't watch and I'm the furthest from sensitive you can get, I'm just considering how others might feel about that comment.

That`s selly telly for you !
One good reason to turn off, smell the roses and leave it behind is when glorified sales people make inane comments which can and sometimes do upset people. They spew out all kinds of rubbish, their gobs work quicker than their brains and it`s a measure of how someone selling shampoo/skincare/clothes or whatever can affect people for better or for worse.
To be honest the remark wouldn`t have upset me and I`ve lost both parents and my first hubby to cancer but it would have made me utter a snort of derision, shake my head in disbelief that Q have people of such low intelligence on their shows and then kick myself up the backside for being daft enough to actually watch them.

That`s selly telly for you !
One good reason to turn off, smell the roses and leave it behind is when glorified sales people make inane comments which can and sometimes do upset people. They spew out all kinds of rubbish, their gobs work quicker than their brains and it`s a measure of how someone selling shampoo/skincare/clothes or whatever can affect people for better or for worse.
To be honest the remark wouldn`t have upset me and I`ve lost both parents and my first hubby to cancer but it would have made me utter a snort of derision, shake my head in disbelief that Q have people of such low intelligence on their shows and then kick myself up the backside for being daft enough to actually watch them.

Yes I agree, I lost my dad to it and have had a near miss myself, and I wouldn't have been offended either to be honest I'd have just laughed at their desperation to grab a sale, but I know some people would've been offended and you're right, QVC are renowned for making offensive comments so I don't know why people bother watching, let alone give them their money.

Obviously she'd not deliberately set about to upset/offend people, but a moment's thought would have made it obvious that comparing the triviality of split ends with a horrible and often terminal disease was the height of bad taste and insensitivity. There's a million-and-one other ways of expressing the notion of something 'spreading like wildfire' and she'd have been well advised to have chosen one of them instead.

Foot firmly in mouth. Silly girl.

Last edited:

My dad actually died on the spot. A massive heart attack while he was doing what he loved, gardening and hearing that phrase wouldn't offend me in the least. I'm very pleased that his departure was quick and doing something which made him very happy.

It isn`t the first foot in mouth moment and I daresay it won`t be the last. We`ve had presenters telling flood victims a parcel from QVC might cheer them up (shapewear at that !) and we had a guest presenter imply a diamonbleak angels wings pendant might protect them against some kind of tragedy ( just after a massacre in France ) and I daresay there have been many others I`ve forgotten about. It`s sell, sell, sell and no level is too low and no subject matter is taboo if it bags a sale. There`s gutter press and there`s also gutter sales people IMO and QVC sometimes excel in the latter.

Latest posts

Back