Fragrances from TJC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
I confess that I am watching TJC on average, a little more than any other shopping channel at the moment

However, as opposed to other shopping telly choices, TJC do drop some BS clangers big time... Bid TV got pulled up for this, but TJC do not.
Case in point - fragrances. Or as I call 'frags'

I have been a hardcore collector of rare frags for many years, not so much designer scents, but mainly vintage and niche frags, especially those no longer in production, or ones that have 'sold out' to another manufacturer, therefore reformulating & changing the note considerably.
Enter a contender recently featured on TJC...
"Raffinee" by Prism
Now the recent guest presenter pushing this frag (she spookily looked like Petunia from the 1970s public information seaside coast guard on tv) was talking clap trap on this and many bottles that featured on TJC (Moon drops, Geminesse..)
Raffinee is a part of my collection and is absolutely lovely however,the cheap 9.99 tat on TJC is quite literally nasty, cheap rubbish, under the same name.
The original was produced in 1982, and produced by the fragrance house Houbigant ..then it was sold off to Dana, which shifted the original scent somewhat, then, as the can got kicked down the street, was then sold off and reformulated by Prism -- then scooped up by TJC.

What annoys me is that the presenters are not warned by ofcom or whomever, for falsely claiming it is as the original, which it is not. Raffinee by Prism is light years away from the delicious Houbigant release, and as Im sure if googled, it confirms why the Houbigant reaches figures over £100+ for an original bottle as opposed to a pathetic £9.99 TJC special.

The difference, apart from the recipe is the concentration of oils in the mix. If a £9.99 frag is EDP, it doesnt mean it is even as strong as an authentic EDT. Watered down, and lasting about 1 hour.

But the guest presenter waffled piffle about this, as I watched the sold figures got up into the 100s, thinking 'oh god, poor viewers have just bought cat Pi$$'

Now let me see.. ah yes, QVC is guilty as charged.. One word - TOVA. Again, the original of this is a baby maker, (even though allegedly Tova ripped it off from 1970s fragrance China Musk) but once again, sold off .. Tova sold her soul to the devil QVC, killing the frag... but dishing it out as the 1982 original

Point of my post is... dont palm of cheap nasty reformulated scents as their originals TJC!!!!

Don't know much about perfume but know what I like and what I don't .Common sense would tell me we can't easily get an original recipe vintage fine fragrance of any kind ,least of all for £9.99 . Obviously not kosher.

Last edited:
I agree they are sailing very close to the wind with the spiel about some of these perfumes. And why would anyone buy a perfume that you cannot test first, to see if you like the smell? I suppose they hope that if people hate the smell when they get it, they won't bother with the hassle of sending it back. Seems as though they are desperate to find things to sell on this channel now they are no longer 100% about jewellery.

I confess that I am watching TJC on average, a little more than any other shopping channel at the moment

However, as opposed to other shopping telly choices, TJC do drop some BS clangers big time... Bid TV got pulled up for this, but TJC do not.
Case in point - fragrances. Or as I call 'frags'

I have been a hardcore collector of rare frags for many years, not so much designer scents, but mainly vintage and niche frags, especially those no longer in production, or ones that have 'sold out' to another manufacturer, therefore reformulating & changing the note considerably.
Enter a contender recently featured on TJC...
"Raffinee" by Prism
Now the recent guest presenter pushing this frag (she spookily looked like Petunia from the 1970s public information seaside coast guard on tv) was talking clap trap on this and many bottles that featured on TJC (Moon drops, Geminesse..)
Raffinee is a part of my collection and is absolutely lovely however,the cheap 9.99 tat on TJC is quite literally nasty, cheap rubbish, under the same name.
The original was produced in 1982, and produced by the fragrance house Houbigant ..then it was sold off to Dana, which shifted the original scent somewhat, then, as the can got kicked down the street, was then sold off and reformulated by Prism -- then scooped up by TJC.

What annoys me is that the presenters are not warned by ofcom or whomever, for falsely claiming it is as the original, which it is not. Raffinee by Prism is light years away from the delicious Houbigant release, and as Im sure if googled, it confirms why the Houbigant reaches figures over £100+ for an original bottle as opposed to a pathetic £9.99 TJC special.

The difference, apart from the recipe is the concentration of oils in the mix. If a £9.99 frag is EDP, it doesnt mean it is even as strong as an authentic EDT. Watered down, and lasting about 1 hour.

But the guest presenter waffled piffle about this, as I watched the sold figures got up into the 100s, thinking 'oh god, poor viewers have just bought cat Pi$$'

Now let me see.. ah yes, QVC is guilty as charged.. One word - TOVA. Again, the original of this is a baby maker, (even though allegedly Tova ripped it off from 1970s fragrance China Musk) but once again, sold off .. Tova sold her soul to the devil QVC, killing the frag... but dishing it out as the 1982 original

Point of my post is... dont palm of cheap nasty reformulated scents as their originals TJC!!!!

I noticed they are getting onto the skin regeneration bandwagon , starting to sell a device with light stimulation just like those on Q and IW.Dont know the price I only caught a short promo.

There must be a huge mark up on those things . I bet most people don't use them long term ,a bit like my derma wand ,it gives stimulation and a bit of glow but most of the time I can't be bothered with it.

Yes, they are. And they are certainly pushing Argan oil quite a lot at the moment - the last couple of times I switched over, they were promoting it.

I noticed they are getting onto the skin regeneration bandwagon , starting to sell a device with light stimulation just like those on Q and IW.Dont know the price I only caught a short promo.

There must be a huge mark up on those things . I bet most people don't use them long term ,a bit like my derma wand ,it gives stimulation and a bit of glow but most of the time I can't be bothered with it.

I need to put that on my Xmas shopping list :mysmilie_17:

As previously mentioned, TJC seems to be going down the market stall route with stuff like beauty and skincare. The other day Marina "Paid My Dues By Being A Goon On Bid.tv" Berry was flogging L'Oreal makeup. No mention that this was to be a regular thing like Whatsherface who does the skin oils. TJC must have bought a load cheap to flog on air.

But then TJC has always done this with jewellery. Which seemed OK with it being an alleged jewellery channel. Now it's slowly morphing into a QVC/IW clone.

BTW: Windows wants to autocorrect "Bid.tv" to "Bidet". Which is funny, as you use a bidet to clean crap from you, while all Bid.tv wanted to do was inundate you with it.
:mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
:mysmilie_15::mysmilie_867:Full marks to the autocorrect, I say!
As previously mentioned, TJC seems to be going down the market stall route with stuff like beauty and skincare. The other day Marina "Paid My Dues By Being A Goon On Bid.tv" Berry was flogging L'Oreal makeup. No mention that this was to be a regular thing like Whatsherface who does the skin oils. TJC must have bought a load cheap to flog on air.

But then TJC has always done this with jewellery. Which seemed OK with it being an alleged jewellery channel. Now it's slowly morphing into a QVC/IW clone.

BTW: Windows wants to autocorrect "Bid.tv" to "Bidet". Which is funny, as you use a bidet to clean crap from you, while all Bid.tv wanted to do was inundate you with it.
:mysmilie_17:

Raffinee was my fav perfume in my teens a heavy and fabulous scent" it was Houbigant and my "bottle" was red ...no glas visable at all.

I just knew the stuff they are selling just will not be the same, same as Cachet, another fav from the 80's.

Couldn't turn the programme off though, it took me down memory lane.

Latest posts

Back