Rip off Radiators are back.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If you need extra heaters to heat parts of the house where it gets extra cold, or where there is no radiator might as well get a couple of oil filled radiators. They range in price -ours were about £80 each from Argos . Like all electrical items they do cost to run but much cheaper to buy and easily portable.Bet they heat just as well.

It's between getting the super radiators, or should I go for the Manky Tosspot watches. I just can't decide, if only "Lee" from Ventnor could help I would be most grateful as he used to buy everything. Oh blow it, I'm going to get the Radiators and the Watches! Unless I get talked out of it by using this Forum's extensive experience in such matters. All comments gratefully received! :mysmilie_504:

I'd buy them, Momma. I mean, what have you got to lose, apart from about a grand? The phone lines probably had gone crazy, and the interwebthingymebob was in meltdown, so there's obviously something special about them. I know you can get convector heaters from Amazon for £12 but they don' t do that special thing to the electricity that these radiators do - Belgian Pete spent years learning to circumvent the laws of physics. I'm just off to advise the little old lady down the road to put five of them on that credit card the nice young man from the bank made her take out in about 2007 - after all, they gave her a huge credit limit and that fixed-income thingy really isn't anything to worry about. I know she wouldn't want to miss out on a deal, and those nice friends of hers from IW are so solicitous in bringing her the best bargains.

I'd buy them, Momma. I mean, what have you got to lose, apart from about a grand? The phone lines probably had gone crazy, and the interwebthingymebob was in meltdown, so there's obviously something special about them. I know you can get convector heaters from Amazon for £12 but they don' t do that special thing to the electricity that these radiators do - Belgian Pete spent years learning to circumvent the laws of physics. I'm just off to advise the little old lady down the road to put five of them on that credit card the nice young man from the bank made her take out in about 2007 - after all, they gave her a huge credit limit and that fixed-income thingy really isn't anything to worry about. I know she wouldn't want to miss out on a deal, and those nice friends of hers from IW are so solicitous in bringing her the best bargains.

Hold on there Craftalot, it's Dave that's in a quandry, not I.............I have already bought most of the stock already, such bargains :wink:

If you need extra heaters to heat parts of the house where it gets extra cold, or where there is no radiator might as well get a couple of oil filled radiators. They range in price -ours were about £80 each from Argos . Like all electrical items they do cost to run but much cheaper to buy and easily portable.Bet they heat just as well.

I've got a couple of the little halogen heaters, less than £20, low consumption and instant heat and they light up the room too, so I don't have to have the lamp on if I don't want to :mysmilie_59:

You could just take your IW radiator outside, and the heat would melt the snow in the whole of your neighbourhood:mysmilie_17: (It's a wonder they haven't said this yet, but give them time....)

Did they do the VT of the snowy scenes, the man shovelling snow etc etc. Shovelling something, anyway...

I noticed that they put on the screen about the heart being guaranteed for ten years, but didn't put on the screen that the electrics are only guaranteed for two years.

strikes me as a bit sneaky.

I noticed that they put on the screen about the heart being guaranteed for ten years, but didn't put on the screen that the electrics are only guaranteed for two years.

strikes me as a bit sneaky.

This is IW we are talking about. Do we really expect anything better?

Little Howard was selling the radiators around midday yesterday and said sometimes they get very busy but these radiators are so popular that 'it's literally a stampede!'
The other week he was pontificating about how he can't stand salesmen who lie to make a sale.

If the "stampede" is actually happening (which I strongly doubt), there must be a hell of a lot of people with more money than sense. All they need to do is look in the Argos catalogue - there is no need to pay these ridiculous prices. And as for comments about salesmen who lie, well Pot - Kettle - Black, I'd say. They don't call this the Pinnochio channel for nothing.

Little Howard was selling the radiators around midday yesterday and said sometimes they get very busy but these radiators are so popular that 'it's literally a stampede!'
The other week he was pontificating about how he can't stand salesmen who lie to make a sale.

If the "stampede" is actually happening (which I strongly doubt), there must be a hell of a lot of people with more money than sense. All they need to do is look in the Argos catalogue - there is no need to pay these ridiculous prices. And as for comments about salesmen who lie, well Pot - Kettle - Black, I'd say. They don't call this the Pinnochio channel for nothing.

Yes indeed.I would say Mister Gepetto 'wood 'have had his work cut out with the IW lot.All of those metre long noses a health and safety risk to the guests as the embellishments to truth glide so smoothly from each of the presenters ' over active mouths.I was thinking back to when I first started watching Shopping telly and am sure there was more integrity.Noone would lie like they do now.Exaggerate a bit yes to get you to want to buy .Outright lies?Can't recall that.All the shouting and over reaction is not something I remember. It's on all the channels and when watching my favourite yesterday(JM)after ages ,it seemed insincere and presenter shouting.Sorry if off topic a bit but the whole ST thing is based on lies and making as many people as possible subscribe to them in my opinion.

I agree they have definitely changed over the years. I've been watching the shopping channels fairly regularly for about 9 years, and the selling techniques have become a lot more desperate in many instances, far-fetched stories abound about every member of the presenter's family, (including cousins 52 times removed), and the 'shouty techniques' have become commonplace. Yes, we know they are there to sell, but there is a fine line between pointing out the good points/advantages of a product and giving clear, informed details so that the customer has enough info. to make up their mind, and telling untruths combined with often insufficient or incorrect details. These channels do cross the line at times, some more than others, but if the presenters are under more pressure from their bosses, and they know that there's no comeback if they make misleading statements, then you can see why they do it. There should be much more regulation of shopping channels, IMO - especially this carp the presenters talk about things being "an investment". How the heck can they possibly know that?

Yes indeed.I would say Mister Gepetto 'wood 'have had his work cut out with the IW lot.All of those metre long noses a health and safety risk to the guests as the embellishments to truth glide so smoothly from each of the presenters ' over active mouths.I was thinking back to when I first started watching Shopping telly and am sure there was more integrity.Noone would lie like they do now.Exaggerate a bit yes to get you to want to buy .Outright lies?Can't recall that.All the shouting and over reaction is not something I remember. It's on all the channels and when watching my favourite yesterday(JM)after ages ,it seemed insincere and presenter shouting.Sorry if off topic a bit but the whole ST thing is based on lies and making as many people as possible subscribe to them in my opinion.

Last edited:
IW really do take us all for mugs, how considerate of IW to show us a wee weather like bargraph with the temps including the windchill factor...........

Dont know about anyone else but I dont require a windchill graphic to tell me when its a bit nippy, also love the demo when they sit with a thermometer in one hand and the plug in the other hand, ohhhh look its not plugged in folks.

Bunch of all round chancers.

IW is as trustworthy as Donald Trump in a beauty pageant dressing room...:mysmilie_51:

how do they get away with it reg varney lookalike on selling the ceramic heaters showing a graph with wind chill facts totally misleading also suggesting snow somewhere did not say where though could be outer hebrides or outer mongolia for all i believed him disgraceful channel

IW really do take us all for mugs, how considerate of IW to show us a wee weather like bargraph with the temps including the windchill factor...........

Dont know about anyone else but I dont require a windchill graphic to tell me when its a bit nippy, also love the demo when they sit with a thermometer in one hand and the plug in the other hand, ohhhh look its not plugged in folks.

Bunch of all round chancers.

My water filled radiators still give off heat too, long after they're turned off.

Strange that!

Channel hopping last night, Mike selling these 'amazing' radiators, felt I had to log in here to vent at my anger in the RUBBISH they spout. Can I say first of all I'm not saying the actual product they're selling is rubbish or otherwise, I have no first hand knowledge of its quality. However, as others have pointed out it's essentially a ceramic core electric heater with a timer and thermostat. Again as others have pointed out, comparable products can be had elsewhere for considerably less £££.

Anyways, not the main reason I'm posting. Yes yes I know they're there to sell and everything has to be wonderful, however he was telling outright porkies.

1. 'If you have central heating you have to heat the whole house, it's either on or off.'

FALSE. Gas: whilst it's true a boiler is either on or off, if you have thermostats on your radiators they will shut off in each room where the required temp is reached. If this is all rooms, the boiler will simply go off and only fire up again when required. You can easily have all thermostats turned to off except for the room/s you want to heat. Only exception, if you have no thermostats which will be a minority of people these days. Electric, same principal. Modern central heating systems are very efficient.

2. 'These have a built-in thermostat that senses the room temperature and will turn the radiator off when the required temperature is reached. Guys, IT'S SIMPLY AMAZING!!!'

FALSE. Granted thermostats are neat little devices in terms of how they work and what they do. However, in 2016, are we really still saying that a thermostat turning a heater on and off is SIMPLY AMAZING? Eh, no. Getting someone walking about on Mars would be SIMPLY AMAZING.

3. 'Go for the bigger one, go for the bigger one, go for the bigger one!!'

Upsell, upsell, upsell. If a customer genuinely only needs this product for a particular room of a particular size, they need only procure the radiator that is designed to service that size of room. 'So, 99% of the time you only drive around town? Nah, you don't want the Corsa madam, buy the Audi Q7 3L diesel for the 1% of times you might venture out of town. Yeah it's 4 times more expensive but come on, you know it makes sense!'

Yes I still flick through the shopping channels during proper telly ad breaks etc, but it seems even if I just flick onto IW for 30 secs, I seem to catch 'the busiest moment of the show' when the 'web is going crazy' and viewers 'really should buy now cause these are gonna go' even though they'll have them back in stock in 3 days for another show.

People that buy off these chancers and are happy with their purchases and buying with an informed open mind, fine, bash on. It's those out there that aren't Internet / buying savvy I feel sorry for e.g. some old dear with no computer etc thinking she's getting a great deal and that the toys she's bought for her grandkids will be truly appreciated.

Surely, sorry I mean hopefully, as the years roll by and more folk by default know how to shop around, these channels will become less and less viable. Good riddance to them I say.

Last edited:
Ideal World cowboy salesmen shysters!

I hope this nasty outfit goes bankrupt.

Latest posts

Back