Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have had a couple of phone calls re money being taken from an Amazon Prime account.I put the phone down & I had cancelled the Prime account as it was just a trial.I did phone my bank and told them that any payments to Amazon other than a recent purchase were not authorised.

I had the TV licence one, four days after I’d renewed it (they do it automatically every year and just send the link to the actual licence.) I’ve also had emails about my Amazon account and PayPal account being frozen. I always delete any emails like this especially as they invariably turn up in my junk mail.

The only one that I queried was a few years ago, supposedly from my bank. I deleted it and then rang the bank who confirmed what I thought ... they hadn’t sent me any email and it was a scam.

It beggars belief that these people have so much time on their hands as to send out mass scamming emails to random addresses in the hope that someone will take the bait, but unfortunately some vulnerable people do because it happened to my elderly neighbour. :sad:

I think it is all automated and you only need a small % for it to be very lucrative and then it’s on to the next scam.

Some are really good but some are successful because of people’s greed. A recent one was a woman who lost hundreds of thousands buying diamonds (as you do) or older woman sending money to young men from overseas. It’s the older people who click on these emails I feel sorry for.

I read the money-saving site and these scams are posted as warnings or sometimes people asking is this email genuine? The answer is always never to click the link and go to your account for whatever the email is about through your own way.

My Amazon has an extra set up if I want to buy anything I get a text with a pin which I have to put in before I can go further. A great idea an extra layer of security.

I've received a number of calls since I retired, probably had lots when I was working but the cat ignores the phone. I'm well aware of e safety & fairly cynical so I played along with those who spoke to me & when one asked me if I'd considered investing my pension I told him that I spent it on pearls & gin. There have always been those who deceive & those who are naive & more trusting than the likes of me & despite all the warnings people will still lose their money & much more.

Is that someone playing dumb hoping that an unsuspecting person might hand out their PIN number? You never know these days. The "bank" phoned Mr CC last week saying there was unusual activity on his account. The bank however didn't know who he banked with and they really should know his account number. The air was blue with his reply :mysmilie_17:

CC

Oh, CC I's have loved to have been a spider on the wall there.

He must be hilarious!

I get loads everyday, drives me nuts! Internet provider, oven cleaning service, Amazon Prime, Visa, I just put the phone down.

I get loads everyday, drives me nuts! Internet provider, oven cleaning service, Amazon Prime, Visa, I just put the phone down.

We were getting around 24 a day, mostly the Indian call centre 'surveys'. We eventually got a call blocker phone.

If it's a 'phone caller flogging something I tell them that I would have been interested but we're being evicted at the end of the week, or I tell them I'm due in court! If it's a recording I leave it playing out until the 'hang up' signal.

Joking aside though, you have to be careful these days. Scamming is a big business and a lucrative one for people who don't want to earn their money in an honest way.

We had people phoning about new windows & a grant we were supposedly eligible for. Mr B told them that out house didn't have any windows.

At least you can have a bit of fun with these but we are plagued by silent calls.

Heard today that phone calls about your credit card and to “to put your mind at rest that it is genuine” they ask you to check your ID caller number and the phone number on the back of your card - and THEY ARE THE BLIDDY SAME. They are able to falsify the true number to agree with your bank phone number. ****** scary

bt had a call centre in India and I swear they raided all the bt customers phone numbers to do all sorts ...I have a whistle handy and blow down the phone

The problem with that Boffy is all phones now have a filter of sorts so you cannot blast the ears of the other person.

F*ck Off And Die works much better especially in an angry Northern Irish Accent.

The problem with that Boffy is all phones now have a filter of sorts so you cannot blast the ears of the other person.

F*ck Off And Die works much better especially in an angry Northern Irish Accent.

Just as long as it isn’t great auntie Doris who hasn’t spoken yet!

You can employ Mr CC to help but it's an angry Midlands accent. If I answer I just say "if you're selling cases of whisky for a fiver I might, just might be interested". They don't know what to say after that :mysmilie_17: My mum also isn't beyond telling these folk to F Off but if it's the "something's wrong with your computer" scam she'll say "what's a computer?" They soon give up.

CC

A new drama series started yesterday at 9 p.m. on Channel 5 last night, called Cold Call. The starting scenes were interesting because it showed how easy it could be to be scammed. It runs all week.

Latest posts

Back