Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think its always best to buy from the company rather than a third party these bigger items. by law you should be covered for up to 6 years for electronic items. usually a repair or an exchange depends on how good the company values their customers. never buy these goods from cvc as you wont get the same protection!

I think its always best to buy from the company rather than a third party these bigger items. by law you should be covered for up to 6 years for electronic items. usually a repair or an exchange depends on how good the company values their customers. never buy these goods from cvc as you wont get the same protection!
Thank you, I wasn't aware of any of this & copied the following from Which? -

'If a defect develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time the goods were delivered to you.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems or defects across the product range.

The retailer can also make a deduction from any refund for fair use after the first six months of ownership if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.

You have up to six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product'.

My mum buys all electronic and household goods from John Lewis. If there's a problem she's had replacements without question, even when my nephew chucked a can of Irn Bru (accidentally) over his tablet and ruined it they replaced it. Little more costly to buy maybe but excellent follow up customer care.

CC

most of the big electrical shops give 5 years on electronic items and are much cheaper. John Lewis are losing money by the second so are not as great as they were once. my daughter was off to uni many years ago and needed some suitcases. paid £300 for two cases as she wanted them to last as long as possible. the handle fell off after the first use the screw fell out. John Lewis categorically refused to exchange or refund the cases even though it was for coach not flights. you know how cases are just thrown anyhow. eventually after several months we did a sit in. the grub screw for the handle was tiny and should not have been used for a handle on any bag much less a large hard case. put me off John Lewis big time! I shop around a lot more!

On the money-saving site, they are posters always saying buy electronic items or fridges etc from John Lewis because of the extra warranty they give.
I used to buy everything from JLP but NO LONGER. Their customer service is absolutely appalling. I had curtains made to measure, extortionate cost.... 18 inches too long. Undeterred, I ordered some more..... they queries the order which was recorded as twice the width. (THey did sort these promptly.) They sent me a sofa minus the legs! A chap from the furniture workshop came and sorted that. The final straw was when I had a JL own brand washing machine which didn't work from the moment they had installed it, done a quick test and left. After days spent trying to sort this with JLP CS, I had to ring the service company and was told I could have to pay somewhere around £80 depending on cause. JLP themselves arranged nothing, they never, ever returned my calls despite promising to do so. Please just read Trustpilot (one star, Bad) before making a major purchase from them. I will never buy something like a large electrical from them again, the stress was just horrendous. When I had my kitchen done six months later I just begged the installers to take the cuckoo away from my nest as the on off switch by then had a mind of its own, and got one through them, a Bosch. I did buy a Tv from them in 2012 and got fantastic repair service under their 5 year guarantee, including a replacement, but standards have fallen through the floor since then. Ooh, I feel better after that rant! I sent a mammoth letter of complaint to JLP detailing every call, response, non response etc because if there is one thing I do well it is contemporaneous recording of events! OK I got a reasonable amount as compensation for the issue, but the whole thing was so stressful, I now only use them for soft furnishings etc!!! I was gutted to lose faith in my favourite shop.

I used to buy everything from JLP but NO LONGER. Their customer service is absolutely appalling. I had curtains made to measure, extortionate cost.... 18 inches too long. Undeterred, I ordered some more..... they queries the order which was recorded as twice the width. (THey did sort these promptly.) They sent me a sofa minus the legs! A chap from the furniture workshop came and sorted that. The final straw was when I had a JL own brand washing machine which didn't work from the moment they had installed it, done a quick test and left. After days spent trying to sort this with JLP CS, I had to ring the service company and was told I could have to pay somewhere around £80 depending on cause. JLP themselves arranged nothing, they never, ever returned my calls despite promising to do so. Please just read Trustpilot (one star, Bad) before making a major purchase from them. I will never buy something like a large electrical from them again, the stress was just horrendous. When I had my kitchen done six months later I just begged the installers to take the cuckoo away from my nest as the on off switch by then had a mind of its own, and got one through them, a Bosch. I did buy a Tv from them in 2012 and got fantastic repair service under their 5 year guarantee, including a replacement, but standards have fallen through the floor since then. Ooh, I feel better after that rant! I sent a mammoth letter of complaint to JLP detailing every call, response, non response etc because if there is one thing I do well it is contemporaneous recording of events! OK I got a reasonable amount as compensation for the issue, but the whole thing was so stressful, I now only use them for soft furnishings etc!!! I was gutted to lose faith in my favourite shop.

This makes me a bit sad because I'm a pretty faithful JL shopper myself and I've always found their service excellent. I have bought nearly all of my electronics (2 tv sets, 3 computers, 3 tablets and an iPhone) from them in the last several years and would probably always buy anything major electrical from them unless I could get it quite a bit cheaper elsewhere and the other retailer had a decent reputation for after-sales, etc. I haven't bought kitchen appliances or furniture from them, though. I had quite an expensive iron from them about 4 years ago on which the auto switch-off was a bit over zealous and if I put it down for more than about 30 seconds, it went off. They sent me a new replacement which was a dearer model without question and didn't want the old one back (so a useful spare!). Just goes to show every company is hit and miss, I suppose. I am sure I would feel like you if I'd had your experience.

If yòu can take the appliance into a service section in a store, you are probably OK. I reported my TV issues in the Kingston store so was actually speaking to a person face to face. But I had bought the washing machine online and when you ring with problems, it is just a centralised department. So I would quite happily buy stuff I could carry over to a store, or not worry too much about. And I would also happily go to the Kingston store service place, but I would never make a major purchase online again. (Having said that the furniture was ordered in Kingston store and the curtains from Peter Jones, that being the nearest store to provide that service.) I can't tell you how much I loved JLP! But if you read Trustpilot you will see loads of comments along the lines of, I have been a devoted customer of yours for 20 years but never again.... They are losing their "Middle England" customer base because we expect the service they used to provide, and frankly they can no longer be ar*ed! My friends think it's hilarious that I am so put off JLP now, as I never used to consider going anywhere else! Where on Earth will you go now? Hahaha!

If yòu can take the appliance into a service section in a store, you are probably OK. I reported my TV issues in the Kingston store so was actually speaking to a person face to face. But I had bought the washing machine online and when you ring with problems, it is just a centralised department. So I would quite happily buy stuff I could carry over to a store, or not worry too much about. And I would also happily go to the Kingston store service place, but I would never make a major purchase online again. (Having said that the furniture was ordered in Kingston store and the curtains from Peter Jones, that being the nearest store to provide that service.) I can't tell you how much I loved JLP! But if you read Trustpilot you will see loads of comments along the lines of, I have been a devoted customer of yours for 20 years but never again.... They are losing their "Middle England" customer base because we expect the service they used to provide, and frankly they can no longer be ar*ed! My friends think it's hilarious that I am so put off JLP now, as I never used to consider going anywhere else! Where on Earth will you go now? Hahaha!

That's a good point - I could probably take any of the items I have had, even the telly, in to the Brent Cross store by car, if I had an issue. I should maybe think twice about buying online and larger items.

I've just had a look at TrustPilot and am really shocked. What on earth happened to their legendary reputation? It's now no better than QVC and that's saying something! They need to get someone in there to sort it out pronto! :sad:

(PS I used to think TrustPilot was a waste of time, full of moaning minnies and totally unrepresentative. However, I have lately been looking at it for the (absolutely f**@!+$! useless) energy company I had had the misfortune of chasing a refund from and it's spot on with its reviews, as I know because all the one stars are from people with almost identical experiences to mine. TP has also given me some great resolution tips posted by others in the same boat.)

We have no JL in Northern Ireland I have only ever ordered a few cosmetics from them online over the years

We have bought quite a few things TV/cameras/laptops/steam generators and had good service but of course if anything goes wrong it may be a whole different story as we wouldn’t be able to go into a store.

However I’ll take my chances as otherwise it is Curry’s/PC world and I avoid them like the plague.

Andi, Trustpilot was a real eye opener for me. I don't think I had ever seen it before and coincidentally looked at it when the washing machine disaster struck. But as well as being able to add my own review, I was amazed at just how many people were having the exact same issues as I was! So at least I didn't feel alone!!! I cannot emphasise enough just how stressed the whole experience of trying to speak to someone, anyone, who would take ownership of the issue was. And I think their rating was ever so slightly higher when I was on, so things have got worse not better! When you order a smaller item for click and collect, you can get it the next working day so how they can do that so effectively and be so abysmal in other areas is ridiculous. I can feel my blood starting to boil so will finish now and watch last night's Gogglebox, lol.

Every time Ann Dawson appears there is someone on Arsebook who keeps asking why is she not wearing her wedding ring. I have seen these posts at least 4 times in the past month or so. There is something quite unhealthy about that.

Yes, a very strange one. Other posters keep saying Ann can wear her ring or not if she wants no one else's business. But the nosey one comes back with the same question.

Chloe was getting it big time over the weekend and then QVC should stop these posts making personal comments and being nasty to the presenters. Franks seems to be escaping she is the worse at the moment.

When I was married I didn't always wear my ring as I had eczema between those fingers and the ring made it worse. Didn't mean I didn't want to be married. Oh hang on a minute, maybe it did :mysmilie_13: (it was a bit of a mistake!).

CC

It could be a simple case of it not fitting or getting adjusted but either way it is no business of anyone especially a random poster on FB.

As I said it is unhealthy.

I can't wear my wedding ring for more than an hour; around the house I don't wear one. Out and about I'll wear my engagement ring or any other ring I fancy or none at all. Weird what folk fixate on!

Oh I saw the post where the wedding ring question was asked, and thought it was a bit of an odd thing to post, but didn't realise it was a serial question. That is more than odd.

Oh I saw the post where the wedding ring question was asked, and thought it was a bit of an odd thing to post, but didn't realise it was a serial question. That is more than odd.

I've checked and it looks like the posts have been deleted but they were from someone called 'Rose Petal' with no profile pic so can only assume it was a troll

Latest posts

Back