Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The infamous, 'Are you not stocking Birkenstocks anymore?' Has turned up to save the universe, it must be close to its second anniversary by now:mysmilie_19:

Oh, people asking about the Catherine Zeta-Jones range which is now sold on QVC US? For some reason, I just cannot see Catherine coming to QVC UK and wanting to work with Flinty etc.

Bet Craig can’t wait for CZJ to visit - he will be doing his very best Uriah Heep impression, complete with hand wringing and gurning.

As for Julia Roberts - can you imagine how she would play the “alpha female” role to the max against a pretty brunette 6 inches taller, 3 sizes smaller, 14 years younger and richer by £millions than her !

Bet Craig can’t wait for CZJ to visit - he will be doing his very best Uriah Heep impression, complete with hand wringing and gurning.

As for Julia Roberts - can you imagine how she would play the “alpha female” role to the max against a pretty brunette 6 inches taller, 3 sizes smaller, 14 years younger and richer by £millions than her !

Comment number 3000 & a great one. I'd love to see that!

The infamous, 'Are you not stocking Birkenstocks anymore?' Has turned up to save the universe, it must be close to its second anniversary by now:mysmilie_19:

Oh, people asking about the Catherine Zeta-Jones range which is now sold on QVC US? For some reason, I just cannot see Catherine coming to QVC UK and wanting to work with Flinty etc.

Cue "Beauty Bash" query :mysmilie_17:

Much indignation about an 80 year old lady having her account closed because of too many returns. Her granddaughter says it gave her granny something to do in the evenings & now she is gutted, even sending an appeal letter didn't have any success. One person has written 'they pray on the elderly'. People are going to close their accounts & the granddaughter has been advised to get her granny to go through all of her returns to ensure she has received back all of her original postage... Presenters saying order 2,3 or more & 30 day MBG being discussed. I do wonder just how much granny did order then return as she spent her evenings watching the Q.

Much indignation about an 80 year old lady having her account closed because of too many returns. Her granddaughter says it gave her granny something to do in the evenings & now she is gutted, even sending an appeal letter didn't have any success. One person has written 'they pray on the elderly'. People are going to close their accounts & the granddaughter has been advised to get her granny to go through all of her returns to ensure she has received back all of her original postage... Presenters saying order 2,3 or more & 30 day MBG being discussed. I do wonder just how much granny did order then return as she spent her evenings watching the Q.

Who knows, this could be an occasion where QVC are being responsible?

Yes, I read that one and had a few queries in my head?

The 80-year-old granny but did not have enough money yet seemed to be spending loads on QVC. So was she overspending and just sending it back or did the family step in and return the items without telling their granny? I was thinking hoarder. I remember reading on the QVC US forum a few times of family finding cupboards full of unopened parcels from QVC after the relative had died! It sounds like the family should have stepped in if the woman was having financial problems trying to help. Also comes across they just let her order away from QVC but now complaining because QVC finally stepped in and stopped it. Think of all that p&p to start with!!! There is nothing to stop the woman from just watching QVC without ordering. Something else is going on and QVC has done the right thing.

Had a look at the thread this morning, yes it is still there. The granddaughter is insisting the granny only got one letter and then they closed her account. A few people said there would have been a letter asking her to contact them and discuss the returns. Granddaughter saying only one letter and she was with her granny when she phoned and spoke to CS about the account being closed. Another post has rightly queried the account given and there must be more to it. I agree with them.

At the end of the day, QVC are a shop and no shop has to sell to you if they don't want to.

QVC are a business ... it’s really sad for this elderly lady and I feel for her but any buisness can only take so many returns
before it gets “stupid “ and unreasonable ....it is obviously a problem the lady has but I suppose
A buisness has to draw a line somewhere .... there must be many other customers who have had the same happen at QVC

I read that too, apparently it gives here something to do in the evenings. The daughter should've told her mother that there are cheaper, if not free, ways to fill your evenings, like reading, there's nothing better than diving in to a good book, or if shopping is what does it for her, then there are thousands of other places to shop that are cheaper than QVC, almost every other retail outlet in the world to be precise, so she could still watch QVC (which will give her something to do in the evenings, or watch an entertainment programme) and not shop, don't see the relevance in the two to be honest.

QVC are a business ... it’s really sad for this elderly lady and I feel for her but any buisness can only take so many returns
before it gets “stupid “ and unreasonable ....it is obviously a problem the lady has but I suppose
A buisness has to draw a line somewhere .... there must be many other customers who have had the same happen at QVC

I agree, if your cut yourself, QVC would charge you for a plaster. You can see over the years how tight they are by their chopping 45p off a sale item. The woman sounds like she'd become addicted to shopping on QVC, the experience is what she was after, not the products, so inadvertently, QVC have done this woman a favour.

I recently saw a pair of sandals on eBay, I liked them but the info was minimal & knowing they're sold on the Q I had a look for reviews. There were a few with only one that was really negative, so having time I had a look at her review history & I was amazed by how many ended with 'returned'. As this person had been a customer for years, & the most recent review was at the end of June, I can only think that she keeps far more than the number she's reviewed on & only posts negative comments. I would need a room filled with cupboards & shelves to house all the bedding she had bought & have to set up a spreadsheet to plan which earrings I was going to wear for the next six months. I bought the sandals from eBay, they are great & nearly £15 cheaper than from the Q.

My husband`s sister in law passed away last year, she wasn`t that old, just in her early 70`s but had been more or less housebound due to crippling arthritis. Her husband still worked part time and was also a keen crown green bowler and on the committee of his local club so he was frequently out of the house.
Anyway when she passed away he went through her things and found so much stuff he didn`t even realise she`d bought, all of it from QVC, Ideal World and jewellery channels. It seems she spent most of her waking hours in front of the TV.
They had no children of their own so he passed her jewellery to my husband and asked him to share it out between his daughter and grand daughters. It fell to me to divvy it up and oh my goodness what a lot of stuff there was, a lot of it obviously unworn and also much of it not even that nice. It also took her husband several trips to charity shops with unworn clothes, unused bags, unlit candles and so on. He admitted he never checked on their finances, both their pensions and other benefits were going directly into their account , bills always seemed to be paid and he said he had no idea just how much money she`d been spending and nearly all of it during the last 3 years of her life when her arthritis had keep her more or less cooped in the house. He said he felt guilty but she didn`t drive and even if he asked her did she want to go anywhere, her answer was usually no and she``d send him off and told him she was quite happy at home.
It made me wonder just how many people seem to fill their lives with shopping, whether from the TV, the internet or in real shops. Is it loneliness, boredom, greed, addiction or what ?

Excessive shopping has been linked with mental illness. A private forum I visit asked that question, When Does Collecting Turn Into Hoarding?

Many of us on this forum over the years have blindly bought the TSVs especially beauty, but it's such a great deal, then mentioned but I have X of products in a cardboard I haven't even opened yet. I was tempted by the Elemis TSV, not fussed on the cleansing balm but still oh that is a great value. After going to check the ingredients of the facial oil two ingredients peppermint and camphor which I just know would break me so that really stopped me in my tracks. But I had to google the product to find this out, otherwise, I do think I would have succumbed.

The granddaughter now says shopping with QVC is the granny's hobby!

This was after another person said there is a difference between a hobby and buying and getting into debt.

Shopping with QVC should not be a hobby!

The granddaughter now says shopping with QVC is the granny's hobby!

This was after another person said there is a difference between a hobby and buying and getting into debt.

Shopping with QVC should not be a hobby!

Maybe they see QVC as granny's babysitter, the way cartoons are seen by some as kids' babysitter!

If that was my Nan (God rest her soul) I'd never have let her get in to a situation were she found shopping a "hobby" even though she did have a few bob. I get the feeling her daughter is more incensed because the way I'm seeing it, maybe her Nan was ordering for her too, pershaps she'd also had her account closed so was using her Nans, hence the return rate and closure of the account. Of course we all know QVC are doing it for themselves, especially if it's beauty she's returning, because they don't give a rats ass wether you can afford their eye watering expensive mark ups or not.

Just had a quick look on there. Someone has posted that Jill Franks asked if the fish oil supplements were vegan. :mysmilie_62:

Just had a quick look on there. Someone has posted that Jill Franks asked if the fish oil supplements were vegan. :mysmilie_62:

Lots of people seem to struggle with what is vegetarian never mind vegan! I managed to persuade our work care to stop labelling a salmon salad as vegan. They are still calling it vegetarian though... Baby steps...

Lots of people seem to struggle with what is vegetarian never mind vegan! I managed to persuade our work care to stop labelling a salmon salad as vegan. They are still calling it vegetarian though... Baby steps...

JF claims to have a qualification in nutrition.

Latest posts

Back