Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Someone's complaining that the soles have come away from her Emu boots. Apparently they were fine when she put them away in January, obviously she didn't need them when we all had the Beast from the East in February or the mini Beast that arrived a month later. She's disgusted because she saved up for the boots for winter & they cost her nearly £200. I don't know what she expects to be done, she bought them in 'late 2015'.

Yes, I read the Emu boots complaint. No matter how much you pay for shoes/boots and wear every winter for 3 years, of course, they will wear. Suprised the soles haven't worn down.

Oh dear, a woman asking if QVC with be doing the meat hampers this year? No, it is not Pat even has a photo of herself as her icon. No one has answered so far.

I bought 2 identical pairs of safety boots from Lidl, one being as a spare pair for when the other one wore out.

I did wear the first pair, and eventually the soles wore out, so I then started to wear the 2nd pair.

On the very first day, the soles completely disintegrated!

Apparently, just sitting in the unopened box for about 2 years, caused them to biodegrade.

To make matters worse, the first day I wore them was the first day of a holiday, so I ended up at my destination with unwearable shoes, and leaving behind lumps of the sole wherever I walked.

I spent a fair amount of cash on some Joules wellies, wore them a few times and then they went into a hall cupboard for a couple of years before I had the chance to wear them again. On getting into a car, I heard a rubbery rip and the ****** things had split up the back and torn across the toes and cos I was on my way to a woodland walk, had no choice but to complete the walk with chunks of welly flapping in the breeze. Rubber definitely degrades over time!!!!

I bought 2 identical pairs of safety boots from Lidl, one being as a spare pair for when the other one wore out.

I did wear the first pair, and eventually the soles wore out, so I then started to wear the 2nd pair.

On the very first day, the soles completely disintegrated!

Apparently, just sitting in the unopened box for about 2 years, caused them to biodegrade.

To make matters worse, the first day I wore them was the first day of a holiday, so I ended up at my destination with unwearable shoes, and leaving behind lumps of the sole wherever I walked.

Really annoying but I suppose it could have been useful if you'd got lost - just follow the debris..!

I bought a pair of tall Ultimate boots from Kiwi sheepskins must be 10 years ago. Every Winter I dig them out, brush them and spray them with a sheepskin protector spray and every year they do me proud and are still going strong. They have a tough hard wearing sole, reinforced toes and heels and you wear them without any socks so they keep your feet naturally toastie warm. They`ve kept their shape, have never gone baggy and because of the reinforced fronts and backs they haven`t worn thin. The price includes delivery and UK taxes, they arrive within a week and are made in New Zealand not China.
https://www.kiwisheepskins.com/ultimate-full-calf-sheepskin-boots-skuFW031

I spent a fair amount of cash on some Joules wellies, wore them a few times and then they went into a hall cupboard for a couple of years before I had the chance to wear them again. On getting into a car, I heard a rubbery rip and the ****** things had split up the back and torn across the toes and cos I was on my way to a woodland walk, had no choice but to complete the walk with chunks of welly flapping in the breeze. Rubber definitely degrades over time!!!!

My mum used to say "Use it Up, Wear It Out, Make it Do or Do Without" which I think was an American saying during the Depression & it still apllies now. I know that rubber degrades & wonder if that process is speeded up when the item is in an enclosed space. The woman with the disintegrating Emus had kept hers in a box iside a wardrobe during a very wet spring & very dry summer. The wardrobe may have been damp or, icky thought, she may have previously worn them without socks so the possibility of a fungal infection comes to mind. Our daughter rented an apartment that was wonderful in every way except for the mould that grew on everything in the spare room. She lost quite a lot of clothes & shoes but it was only when she developed a persitent cough that my nagging hit home & she moved out.

My mum used to say "Use it Up, Wear It Out, Make it Do or Do Without" which I think was an American saying during the Depression & it still apllies now. I know that rubber degrades & wonder if that process is speeded up when the item is in an enclosed space. The woman with the disintegrating Emus had kept hers in a box iside a wardrobe during a very wet spring & very dry summer. The wardrobe may have been damp or, icky thought, she may have previously worn them without socks so the possibility of a fungal infection comes to mind. Our daughter rented an apartment that was wonderful in every way except for the mould that grew on everything in the spare room. She lost quite a lot of clothes & shoes but it was only when she developed a persitent cough that my nagging hit home & she moved out.

Yes I think that was my problem re the enclosed space but having read up on 'welly degradation', apparently they need to be kept somewhere not too dry as humidity in the air keeps the wellies supple. My hall cupboard was obviously too dry for them :(

Yes I think that was my problem re the enclosed space but having read up on 'welly degradation', apparently they need to be kept somewhere not too dry as humidity in the air keeps the wellies supple. My hall cupboard was obviously too dry for them :(

If I ever have the money I'll have a mudroom, no mud just a seat, gorgeous shelving with baskets & hooks & a row of wellies by the door - in size order & clean. Bit daft really as there's only the two of us at home now & the cat doesn't wear wellies. Interesting point about the humidity aspect, my Mr T has a pair he needs for work, had them years & they live in the garage without any issues. Of course if I had a mudroom...

There have been loads of posts on the money-saving site consumer section about shoes rotting away when hardly worn and stored in their box. Ecco was one I remember but other brands too.

There's a right old spat going on about the disliking of Ruth Langsford.
It starts under the photo of her posing in a studded plastic....sorry, faux leather jacket. Posts all still there at the moment.

Has anyone else noticed that there are very few replies by RebeccaX, liamX, BrianX to any of the posts, even the cut and paste ones.

The occasional one for a favourable post but largely posts are totally ignored now.

And another query about the meat food hampers. QVC has gone silent and not answering.

Our Pat has just asked about advanced orders for meat hampers & Leah responded with the information that a new brand of meat supplier will be announced soon. What could go wrong?

Latest posts

Back