Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The fb post about where Mally was seated made me laugh. It reminds me of when a friend of mine went living in sheltered housing and a couple of days after her arrival she decided to go down to the communal lounge for prize bingo. She plonked her bum down and was instantly given the evil eye and was told in no uncertain terms "that`s Doris`s chair !". She just ignored the moans and groans and dirty looks but it goes to show how territorial people can be but also how people become conditioned to seeing certain people sitting in certain places and how they can`t handle even the simplest of changes without making a fuss.

Decades ago I was a staff trainer & every course had some trainees who chose their seats with care, I'm claustrophobic so I understand why people have to certain places in a room. My colleague didn't care about this & during lunch on the second day he would move the name cards that were in front of each chair. I had to cope with meltdowns, panic attacks & tantrums worthy of toddlers, needless to say he didn't remain a trainer for long.

Decades ago I was a staff trainer & every course had some trainees who chose their seats with care, I'm claustrophobic so I understand why people have to certain places in a room. My colleague didn't care about this & during lunch on the second day he would move the name cards that were in front of each chair. I had to cope with meltdowns, panic attacks & tantrums worthy of toddlers, needless to say he didn't remain a trainer for long.

I can believe the tantrums etc. My friend makes me laugh with her tales from the sheltered housing scheme and it`s like a school yard at times. It seems people think certain chairs in the lounge dining room etc are their personal property and take umbrage at the slightest thing and go off to complain to the staff for the most petty things.
Most of the people living there are women, there aren`t many men and some of the ladies get very territorial over them too. They dislike other ladies talking to the men, think even if someone says hello to a man that they`re after them and the ladies try to compete with each other for male attention.
It goes to show that age doesn`t always bring common sense and my friend has regularly said she regrets moving there. She has her own self contained small flat with lounge, bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette but due to health and mobility issues she`s more or less stuck in the building 24/7.
She`s tried the craft and painting sessions, joins in with the bingo, has her hair done by the visiting hairdresser and takes part in the chair exercise classes but she misses living out here amongst different age groups and being able to watch the world go by.

OMG Vienna. Did your friend meet my late mother?
Totally territorial.
Totally "my way or the highway".
And OF COURSE those flighty women were after the men!

'I can believe the tantrums etc. My friend makes me laugh with her tales from the sheltered housing scheme and it`s like a school yard at times. It seems people think certain chairs in the lounge dining room etc are their personal property and take umbrage at the slightest thing and go off to complain to the staff for the most petty things.
Most of the people living there are women, there aren`t many men and some of the ladies get very territorial over them too. They dislike other ladies talking to the men, think even if someone says hello to a man that they`re after them and the ladies try to compete with each other for male attention.
It goes to show that age doesn`t always bring common sense and my friend has regularly said she regrets moving there. She has her own self contained small flat with lounge, bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette but due to health and mobility issues she`s more or less stuck in the building 24/7.
She`s tried the craft and painting sessions, joins in with the bingo, has her hair done by the visiting hairdresser and takes part in the chair exercise classes but she misses living out here amongst different age groups and being able to watch the world go by'.

Sounds like a sit com, or has that been done already? These created 'villages'sound awful, as we're both 60 we get the occasional glossy brochure posted to us extolling the virtues of retirement living, Florida without the golf,sunshine & hurricanes comes to mind. So many parts of the UK have lost their multi generation communities where people looked out for each other & the young learned from the older people. Places that concentrate on just one age group are naturally very provincial & the petty-minded thrive in such environments, I worked in a high school for 20 years & that attitude applied to students & staff. I love living in the same road as grandparents, young families & couples, as I'm writing this I can hear the little boys playing next door, someone's cutting the grass & the family in the house behind ours are having their lunch outside.

We live in a small to mid size market town and have lived in the same development for over 30 years.

Whilst everyone greets everyone and has the odd chat when cutting the grass no one goes into anyone else’s house in fact we only know some names from the parcels we have taken in. I do know in an emergency I could knock on any door but otherwise everyone keeps very much to themselves.

Without any family I’m afraid some sort of Retirement accommodation is what lies ahead. I would prefer something whilst just active to make something out of it rather than when it is at a stage when it is sit in the corner time!

Mr L insists a chairlift will sort all problems!

We live in a small to mid size market town and have lived in the same development for over 30 years.

Whilst everyone greets everyone and has the odd chat when cutting the grass no one goes into anyone else’s house in fact we only know some names from the parcels we have taken in. I do know in an emergency I could knock on any door but otherwise everyone keeps very much to themselves.

Without any family I’m afraid some sort of Retirement accommodation is what lies ahead. I would prefer something whilst just active to make something out of it rather than when it is at a stage when it is sit in the corner time!

Mr L insists a chairlift will sort all problems!

My friend is almost 80 and divorced many years ago. After her divorce she lived alone until her retirement and then bought a static mobile home on a site in Yorkshire. She loved it but it was quite isolated and when her health badly deteriorated she simply couldn`t cope, especially as it meant a heck of a treck even for food shopping. She sold up, moved back to this neck of the woods and for a time she rented a house but then found she struggled again and eventually applied for sheltered accommodation. Her small flat is within a larger sheltered unit, there`s communal areas and her flat is on one level, lifts to her floor and staff check on each person daily and are there to sort GP appointments etc and generally watch over their clients and help to deal with any other issues.
In one way she says she feels safer and no longer worries about not being found should she collapse or fall ill but in another way she feels she`s missing out on the outside world. She has no children and no living relatives. It`s sad to see and hear but with a severe heart problem, diabetes and bad arthritis and at almost 80 she`s in the best place.

I've just read this, twice, because I laughed so much the first time. This person must think they are volunteers...
'Just wanted to thank everyone involved for yesterday's bank holiday Monday show taking time away from their friends and families working o bring us such wonderful goodies, as usual I bought far too much shh don't tell hubby!! Special mention to Michael Perry who had one long day, big thanks to all'.

Yes, I suggest nominations be put forward for the UN Charity Award for these selfless souls.:mysmilie_17:

Oh yes and I do hope they got paid special bank holiday rates. Hate to think that their good will was exploited.

I've just read this, twice, because I laughed so much the first time. This person must think they are volunteers...
'Just wanted to thank everyone involved for yesterday's bank holiday Monday show taking time away from their friends and families working o bring us such wonderful goodies, as usual I bought far too much shh don't tell hubby!! Special mention to Michael Perry who had one long day, big thanks to all'.

I am too cynical, they are there because they want your money, silly person.It is the same with some reviews the grovelling thanks to brand/guest & QVC.Next time I am in the supermarket I will thank them profusely for allowing me to shop there.

Mum bought a flat in a retirement “complex” when she was 82. It was close to me and it was the best of both worlds. I got to know most of residents and occasionally joined their coffee mornings. Mum loved it - social events, the gossip etc. The other residents were so kind to us when Mum died.

I suppose the fact that I was retired and only a few minutes away made a lot of difference to her. Also my brother & sister visited her most weeks for a chat. If I get to the stage where I can’t manage my house I would be happy to move into one of those places.

Digressing even further, retirement complexes are popping up like mushrooms around here. They seem to have high specs, but oh the prices ��. I suppose aimed at elderly people who have owned family homes for donkeys years and are worth a fortune. The newest McCarthy & Stone flats here start from £350,000 according to the banner affixed to their gates ��

For folks in retail the option of not working weekends and bank holidays are a thing of the past so why would anyone thank Q for doing what every minimum wage person has to do.

They certainly make up for it with all the holidays they go on. AK, JR, JK & KT (to name a few) are never home,and it’s not weekends in Bognor but around the world cruises or wedding venue tryouts.

Also a regular poster complaining about the gardening shows as she can’t go out due to hay fever, so wants all day shows comprising of things she is interested in. What about us non beauty addicts who are left out days and weeks on end.

For folks in retail the option of not working weekends and bank holidays are a thing of the past so why would anyone thank Q for doing what every minimum wage person has to do.

They certainly make up for it with all the holidays they go on. AK, JR, JK & KT (to name a few) are never home,and it’s not weekends in Bognor but around the world cruises or wedding venue tryouts.

Also a regular poster complaining about the gardening shows as she can’t go out due to hay fever, so wants all day shows comprising of things she is interested in. What about us non beauty addicts who are left out days and weeks on end.

The post thanking Q for selling over a bank holiday has turned into a brag fest of people saying "oh I`m a nurse or I`m a solicitor or my Dad was a doctor etc" all a load of tosh. Lots of people work bank holidays, in my last job in social care we worked 365 days a year and even your humble Macdonalds worker works bank holidays and so on and for very poor money. Supermarkets and shops rarely ever close, restaurants rarely ever close, hotels never close and they all have to be staffed. QVC presenters stand or sit in front of a camera, play with cosmetics, clothes or jewellery, get a handsome pay cheque and rarely work longer than 2 or 3 hours at a time so I`d hardly thank them for their so called efforts. The original poster on the facebook page is now preening herself what a good person she is because she likes to thank people and pay credit where its due. Stupid woman !

Some groupie posting how wonderful Chuntley was on last show so popped onto plus one for a look and either she has put on weight or that stripe dress is doing no favours.

I also see we have sheepgate where Chuntley (although not mentioned by name in original post) has declared she is now wool free. She’ll be okay as long as she never goes polyester free otherwise she will be naked as she only ever shops from Q and that’s their entire stock buggered.:mysmilie_11:

Some groupie posting how wonderful Chuntley was on last show so popped onto plus one for a look and either she has put on weight or that stripe dress is doing no favours.

I also see we have sheepgate where Chuntley (although not mentioned by name in original post) has declared she is now wool free. She’ll be okay as long as she never goes polyester free otherwise she will be naked as she only ever shops from Q and that’s their entire stock buggered.:mysmilie_11:

You’re right Lati, good job polyester is man made or we’d have a nuddy Chuntley parading round QVC Towers, come to think of it the narcissist that she is, would absolutely love that. :mysmilie_17:

There are many adjectives I would use to describe her, classy is not one of them.

Re going wool free, don't sheep need to be sheared otherwise they get swamped by a matted coat and suffer terribly?

Yes, sheep need to be sheared but the problem is the shearers are paid by the amount they do not by each sheep. So horror film of sheep bleeding and bits cut off in the hast to get the wool.

Yes, sheep need to be sheared but the problem is the shearers are paid by the amount they do not by each sheep. So horror film of sheep bleeding and bits cut off in the hast to get the wool.

That’s heartbreaking isn’t it, yet again animal welfare comes second to money, it’s disgusting.

God she's a sanctimonious bore. I can't stand all this holier than thou "aren't I such a good person" BS and of course she has to let everyone else know about it. As she's on TV I suppose she has the perfect audience.

CC

Latest posts

Back