Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I answer my phone to all unknown/unexpected calls saying "(insert local) police station, how can I help?". If they're genuine I get a confused person, if not I get the phone put down on me :up:

bt had a call centre in India and I swear they raided all the bt customers phone numbers to do all sorts ...I have a whistle handy and blow down the phone

Oh no!:mysmilie_864: Woo=peeeeeeep!

The problem with that Boffy is all phones now have a filter of sorts so you cannot blast the ears of the other person.

F*ck Off And Die works much better especially in an angry Northern Irish Accent.

Oh No! Naughty!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a call last night from supposedly my Bank with a mumbled voice saying something about HSBC fraud protection, I did not say anything & then the line went dead.Checked 1471 & the number was HSBC enquiries no. Which is the one on the back of my cards.I waited over 30 minutes & called that number because I was told if you ring straight away a fraudster could still have a link to your line.Result HSBC had no record of a call & they said that their number can be hacked into in some way.Beware!

Now not the phone but an actual letter.

A friend is on the pension and gets help with her housing rent. She received a letter looks totally official from the housing department about underpayment of her rent. So she phoned using the normal phone number and not the one on the letter. They never sent the letter and knew nothing about it and she was in credit in her rent payments.

Money. If you're earning it someone else wants it, for free. Always check dubious calls/letters/people at the door.

CC

I got a call last night from supposedly my Bank with a mumbled voice saying something about HSBC fraud protection, I did not say anything & then the line went dead.Checked 1471 & the number was HSBC enquiries no. Which is the one on the back of my cards.I waited over 30 minutes & called that number because I was told if you ring straight away a fraudster could still have a link to your line.Result HSBC had no record of a call & they said that their number can be hacked into in some way.Beware!

I got a similar call a few weeks ago, I cut them off half through their spiel... it was something about my HSBC account being hacked, I cut them off when the started with a number to ring...

Anyone watching the Channel 5 drama this week (Mon-Fri) called Cold Call? It’s on the subject of scamming money over the phone. Sadly, something which could have been very useful to people as a warning of danger signs, etc, is fast turning into a far-fetched melodrama. It has had some chilling moments though.

Anyone watching the Channel 5 drama this week (Mon-Fri) called Cold Call? It’s on the subject of scamming money over the phone. Sadly, something which could have been very useful to people as a warning of danger signs, etc, is fast turning into a far-fetched melodrama. It has had some chilling moments though.

I mentioned it in an earlier post on the previous page. It was initially illuminating as to how these scammers work, but I agree with you that it’s now becoming a little far-fetched. I’m going to watch the final two episodes though.

Also, is FaceBook playing up today? I only visit some sites as a visitor but no posts are showing on either my iPad or my Mac. All I get is horizontal lines running down the page.

I mentioned it in an earlier post on the previous page. It was initially illuminating as to how these scammers work, but I agree with you that it’s now becoming a little far-fetched. I’m going to watch the final two episodes though.

Apologies, Toril. I haven't been following this thread so much and was just looking at the last page. Have seen your post now. And I am going to keep watching too as I wouldn't mind knowing how it turns out. There are quite a few holes in the plot though, aren't there?

I can't read any posts, as a visitor, on my iPad.

Andi, I like the sound of that Cold Call. I am recording it to watch on an uncrowded day.

Andi, I like the sound of that Cold Call. I am recording it to watch on an uncrowded day.

Good idea. It’s easy to watch - not too challenging and the episodes pass quickly enough (especially if you fast forward through the ads).

I'm watching a program on ch5 I taped earlier this week - think it was timed to run along with the drama. It was showing how many calls/texts are spoofed using software to make it look like you're getting calls/texts from a legitimate caller - they even spoof the numbers on the back of your bank card.

It's called How To Stop Your Nuisance Calls. They showed a clip with an elderly woman who'd been scammed. It's so sad when the elderly are so taken in by these scammers they believe them over their family.

I still love my 'Hello it's blah blah cop shop, how can I help' line. I was getting shed loads of these calls but rarely get them now. The OH is more of the f*ck off and die answerer but they just kept ringing.

Q's fb page is full of complaints regarding returns & receiving obviously used items. In the middle of these is this question - 'On shay & Blue tonight I Love the blouse Chloe is wearing tonight. What item no. Is it ( Anyone know)?'. Ms Everton wears as so often it's become the clothing equivalent of the white shoe boots. I know that I'm pedantic but I really wanted to correct her sentence.

Oh, and what a lovely day that would be!

I once lived above a sauna :mysmilie_11: and I just used to answer any phone ring with "Scorpio Sauna, yes we do extras" he he he he he (I only lived there, never worked there). It was usually my mum but if it wasn't they always hung up.

CC

He he! Back in the 80s I had a flat opposite a...what's the term...knocking shop! It surprised me how busy they were during the day; maybe because you could see in through the net curtains at night! I always wondered whether it impacted on the business below. I mean would a bloke risk taking his wife there to choose a carpet with risk of a "Coo-ee!" from the premises above?:mysmilie_857:

A classy area!

Oh dear, someone bought the Ipad and not happy it has not been delivered yet as they want to take it to Spain with them. They got a lecture from someone explaining it will come directly from Apple so 7-10 days shipping not the normal QVC shipping. They were still not happy as such an expensive item taking so long to ship, for some reason they thought because it was expensive it would be quicker?:wonder:

Oh dear, someone bought the Ipad and not happy it has not been delivered yet as they want to take it to Spain with them. They got a lecture from someone explaining it will come directly from Apple so 7-10 days shipping not the normal QVC shipping. They were still not happy as such an expensive item taking so long to ship, for some reason they thought because it was expensive it would be quicker?:wonder:

They should have got it direct from Apple, like I did. Cheaper and delivered in a couple of days and that was only because I had it engraved. My new phone arrived the day after I ordered it.

Presumably that guy on FB hadn’t searched on the internet for other places to buy it from or checked prices.

To be honest, I’d be concerned about ordering something of that value from QVC, even though it’s presumably direct dispatch, because a lot of orders seem to have gone astray recently.

Latest posts

Back