Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What's amazing about that is there has already been a product recall on the Dyson fan! I bought mine some years ago and had to return it to them for replacement/repair in response to a media campaign. You had to enter the registration number on the Dyson website and if affected, they sent out packaging to return it.

Mine is the AM05.

This post appeared:

Really feel let down with QVC, I lost my job because of Covid 19, been waiting weeks for any benefits, so informed qvc about my situation. They took all my flexi pay payments out of my account leaving me with nothing to pay my rent and buy food for two weeks. I have tried to speak to someone and no one has rang me back. I feel totally desolate

QVC team told her to email CS she replied it says not to email at this time. Others replying that QVC do not give payment holidays its a credit agreement and they are not responsible for her circumstances! Someone else has given an email to try as they did over their plant order and got a reply.

Made me think I wonder how many more people are in the same boat suddenly lost their jobs and it does take I think 6 weeks for universal credit to pay you? The banks and other credit companies have given payment holidays but the idea that QVC will I just cannot see that happening.

That’s one reason that I never use the EZ pay option. Also I can afford to buy things outright, you never know what’s looming on the horizon.

QVC won’t help customers in need. They just want your money and to heck with any conscience.

There is a saying "we are all just one pay check away from a crisis" I hate easy pays/credit with a passion but I can say that now as I don't have young children to bring up.
Somebody here renamed easypay as easy debt and I agree 100%. If I had no emergency savings there’s no way I would take on easy pay commitments. If you really need easypay as you haven’t got the money to pay up front then I think you need to ask if you should be making the purchase. People often say they couldn’t buy as there was no easypay, but if you had say £20 a month that would cover one payment then save it and in month 3 you have £60 to buy something in one payment. I appreciate some people have a guaranteed income so no problem or they are buying an expensive item that they can afford but might return. Basically if you need easypay than you probably shouldn’t use it.

This post appeared:

Really feel let down with QVC, I lost my job because of Covid 19, been waiting weeks for any benefits, so informed qvc about my situation. They took all my flexi pay payments out of my account leaving me with nothing to pay my rent and buy food for two weeks. I have tried to speak to someone and no one has rang me back. I feel totally desolate

QVC team told her to email CS she replied it says not to email at this time. Others replying that QVC do not give payment holidays its a credit agreement and they are not responsible for her circumstances! Someone else has given an email to try as they did over their plant order and got a reply.

Made me think I wonder how many more people are in the same boat suddenly lost their jobs and it does take I think 6 weeks for universal credit to pay you? The banks and other credit companies have given payment holidays but the idea that QVC will I just cannot see that happening.

I just found that post, I helpfully advised that if she is within the extended 60 day money back guarantee then send them all back and get the refund!

The problem with easy pay is if you buy something for £80 over four easy pays that’s £20 per month, but no doubt you might see something for £60 over three months so the monthly outcome becomes £40 per month, but you might see something else and so on, It takes absolutely no time at all to work up to £100 easy pay monthly outlay, and that’s were the slippery slope in to debt starts.

Shopper you are so right. It’s not one set of EP that’s the problem it’s the multiple ones and now that they have increased them to 6 for the Dyson type things it could end up a total nightmare.
We have been in lockdown for 3 months so does that mean some must have been taken out during that time ? Is there anything on Q worth getting into debt over especially during lockdown?

If something essential broke down and I didn`t have the ready money to repair or replace it then I`d use some form of credit, especially in my younger hard up early married days. Washing nappies without a machine or trying to cook with a broken oven or a freezer defrosting due to a busted motor and so on and so on are in my opinion not only essential but emergencies and we`ve all had similar.
I find it so annoying when I read Q`s facebook and people are up in arms because a handbag/face cream/clothing and other items aren`t on easy pay so they spit their dummies out and stamp their feet. Get over yourselves and grow up. Life won`t end because you have to use a £1 Nivea instead or a £45 face cream, your obviously empty purse won`t refill itself if you have to carry it in a Primark handbag instead of a Lulu Guinness and nobody will even notice the difference if your top comes from Matalan instead or Marla Wynne. Most of us have had some form of debt not by choice but out of necessity and yes it`s nice to have nice things but I have no sympathy for many of the people I read on Q`s facebook page.

Shopper you are so right. It’s not one set of EP that’s the problem it’s the multiple ones and now that they have increased them to 6 for the Dyson type things it could end up a total nightmare.
We have been in lockdown for 3 months so does that mean some must have been taken out during that time ? Is there anything on Q worth getting into debt over especially during lockdown?
No, there’s nothing on there that’s worth getting into debt for. A lot of the things are luxuries like beauty items and skincare and whilst clothes might be essential there are much more reasonably priced items available elsewhere.

If something essential broke down and I didn`t have the ready money to repair or replace it then I`d use some form of credit, especially in my younger hard up early married days. Washing nappies without a machine or trying to cook with a broken oven or a freezer defrosting due to a busted motor and so on and so on are in my opinion not only essential but emergencies and we`ve all had similar.
I find it so annoying when I read Q`s facebook and people are up in arms because a handbag/face cream/clothing and other items aren`t on easy pay so they spit their dummies out and stamp their feet. Get over yourselves and grow up. Life won`t end because you have to use a £1 Nivea instead or a £45 face cream, your obviously empty purse won`t refill itself if you have to carry it in a Primark handbag instead of a Lulu Guinness and nobody will even notice the difference if your top comes from Matalan instead or Marla Wynne. Most of us have had some form of debt not by choice but out of necessity and yes it`s nice to have nice things but I have no sympathy for many of the people I read on Q`s facebook page.
spot on Vienna QVC are not selling anything thats essential by any means. I had little ones when QVC first started and any money I had was eaten up with feeding my girls, heating the house and buying essentials none of which are available on QVC.. everything they sell are luxuries including thier food!!

I have never used EZ pay because I have never bought anything.... shall we say essential!!! I don't want credit for YC, Decleor etc. But if I were to buy some flash television or whatever from them costing several hundred pounds then I would use it because I might need to return the item and be considerably out of pocket before Q got round to refunding me.

Especially their food and that’s from someone’s whose food bill would be the equivalent of a small nations GDP.

Like us all I have had times when I didn’t have 2p to rub together but nothing in comparison to earlier generations, at least Mr L had a secure job and it was only when our quite modest mortgage was finished we truly felt comfortable.

I continued to work partime to get out of the house and to pay for holidays so that our savings could be kept for emergencies in particular health ones.

Decades ago our old Postmaster talked me into opening a bank account when he noticed I'd got engaged. I'd been talking to his wife about buying our first home, marriage, and all the things you get excited about at that age. He gave me the sage advice of a third of your pay to mortgage, a third to bills, and a third to save. Things were so different back then. People were so different back then!

However, I always tried to follow it and I must say it did save my bacon at several stages during my life. He also said we should always have three months' living expenses saved in case of emergency. More good advice if you don't want to get into expensive debt. Though most people these days don't seem to care if they pay a third more for their clothes just by paying on a store card (I have a few friends who do this and have frequently thrown the clothes away before they've finished paying for them!).

I was brought up by a mum who'd been born into poverty (real poverty where they wore cardboard on the soles of their shoes and went scrap coal picking on tips for fuel etc.) and who had clawed her way up to a really good place in life but she never managed to shrug off her fear of being poor again and passed it on to me.

When we did finally get a mortgage on our first home I decided that as a family would soon be on the cards I should put all my wage away every week as I knew that when kids arrived I'd be home with them and not have a wage so I might as well learn to live on one wage straight away. I'm so glad I did as life does have a habit of biting me on the bum. Without going into details that would out me I'm also really lucky I put it into an account in my own name.

Things have changed. There's more support and people aren't afraid of debt anymore. Martin Lewis is right. Finance is a life skill and should be taught in school (seeing as parents these days don't seem able to teach their kids to boil and egg let alone respect money). I loathe seeing people beg and whine about their financial problems when they still drive around in expensive new cars and carry designer bags. It's the way things are these days, though, and I find it very sad.

When I married my first now deceased husband I was only 18, he was 24 and we lived in a one bedroom rented flat. We both got paid in little brown wage packets every Friday and as a wedding gift one of my elderly great aunts had bought us a thrift tin. It was a black oblong shaped tin with several compartments and several slots in the lid and under each slot it had the name of different outgoings, rent, gas, food, electricity etc.
Every Friday night we`d pool our wages and I`d put the relevant money in the relevant slot. Anything left over (and there wasn`t much left over) we`d pay into the post office where we were saving for a house deposit, the massive sum of £365 was needed as a 10% deposit on our first house which cost just over £3.5k. It took us 18 months to save that £365 deposit and nowadays you`d pay £3.5k for just a wooden summer house let alone a real house !

Latest posts

Back