Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Now it's all US Mr.Smooth presenter look.
Isn't it just? Perfect teeth, perfect stubble, perfect everything. I mean, he's not a bad looking lad it has to be said, but he's a bit too over-groomed and primped and preened for my liking. You sort of know he can't pass a shiny surface without looking into it.

Indeed. Unpleasant sense of entitlement - more & more common these days - hows about kids fund their own lives???? My parents are S.K.I.ers!
Totally agree. A few years ago my parents were deciding whether or not to get a conservatory. One of the reasons they were thinking of not getting one was that it would mean there would be less inheritance to be left for me and my brother.
Well, I soon shot that notion down and told them I'd rather they spent and enjoyed every penny they've got while they still can rather than worrying about whether or not they were leaving enough money for us.
They did get the conservatory in the end by the way, and very nice it is too. 👍

Everything me and the husband own will be left 50/50 between our two sons, they’re amazing young men, kind and caring sons and husbands (and extremely handsome) and deserve everything good that life has to offer............I know it sounds soppy, but it’s absolutely true. Saying that, it’s the same with their wives, their mum and dad have done exactly the same thing too ❤

The trouble is, no matter how much you love your offspring and want them to have everything you've got (don't we all at the end of the day) and scrimp and scrape for years to give them as much as you can, if you end up in a care home, it all goes in care fees. The fact is that in this country, we're no better off after a lifetime of work than someone who's never worked a minute in their lives, for whatever reason, and our children then have the hassle of dealing with and often fighting care homes, doctors, hospitals, social workers etc.

My mum had scrimped all her life, and not only had to pay her own fees, but SUBSIDISE those that paid nothing.

Not only that, but she was always worried about her money running out, so was very anxious about spending anything, such as for hairdressing etc. But all the people who paid nothing were given a generous amount of "pocket money" each week and didn't worry at all about spending for these extras, and they still had money left over. These were the people who had had the luxurious foreign holidays, expensive cars etc, whereas my parents had never even been abroad.

The system is SO UNFAIR.

My dad had to pay full fees and every time I got him to write the cheque he ranted about how he was the only one paying which was about 95% true as the catchment area would be benefit happy and would have “organised” things,

When new chairs ,hoists etc arrived he used to rant that HE had paid for them but didn’t get to use them.

If anything, his care was inferior to the others.

Isn't it just? Perfect teeth, perfect stubble, perfect everything. I mean, he's not a bad looking lad it has to be said, but he's a bit too over-groomed and primped and preened for my liking. You sort of know he can't pass a shiny surface without looking into it.
Ah, but how much is surgery of the flesh, and how much is surgery of the pixels?
There is a dizzying array of tools like photoshop to smooth things out now, even on film, never mind photos.

Ah, but how much is surgery of the flesh, and how much is surgery of the pixels?
There is a dizzying array of tools like photoshop to smooth things out now, even on film, never mind photos.
Yes - he could well have had a few 'enhancements'. TV in the US has a very definite 'look' which is expected from their hosts, and he seems to fit the bill now.

My mum had scrimped all her life, and not only had to pay her own fees, but SUBSIDISE those that paid nothing.

Not only that, but she was always worried about her money running out, so was very anxious about spending anything, such as for hairdressing etc. But all the people who paid nothing were given a generous amount of "pocket money" each week and didn't worry at all about spending for these extras, and they still had money left over. These were the people who had had the luxurious foreign holidays, expensive cars etc, whereas my parents had never even been abroad.

The system is SO UNFAIR.
Strato my Gran scrimped a lot of her life but she lived all of it happily at home until her death. She was a wonderful woman, never asked or expected anything of life except to love her family and pay her own way on a meagre pension. Maybe she could have claimed benefits but she refused.

She would have given us (her grandchildren) her last penny. In fact she did for me. She left my mum £500 (a fortune eh?) and we spent the lot on flying to Vienna just for the day to the Christmas markets. We bought mulled wine and gingerbread and a couple of glass baubles. Then we blew the last £25 on a horse and carriage back to the bus for the airport. I don't have a massively wonderful relationship with my mum and I can count on one hand and have spare fingers the days she and I have spent one special day on our own, but on that day we did thanks to Gran's money.

Sorry, rambling.

CC

Latest posts

Back