Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Custard šŸ¤®šŸ¤® Sorry, I can't even look at it. I did make a bread and butter pudding tonight though that went down well with the dog lol (sultanas removed). OK I'm lying, Mr CC scoffed it. I love to try to cook, it's not all nice but Bryan loves it whatever šŸ¶

CC
Obie would eat road kill, but I still get him the 'good' dog food...:LOL:...He had a chicken 'dinner' for breakfast & the little git rolled in fox poo yesterday at the park with Mr B. I had to wash him, of course.

My Mum used to make what she called cheese scones. In reality they were Cookeen pastry with thick slices of cheese sandwiched between the layers. Delicious when straight from the oven but when cold like a solid lump of hard, indigestible fat if you were unlucky enough to find them in your packing up.

Does anyone remember Outline spread? I think that the reason it was low fat is because it was basically plastic and water.
Yes I remember the name but canā€™t remember the taste . I could never have margarine spread on food, ok baking but hated the taste on bread.

Obie would eat road kill, but I still get him the 'good' dog food...:LOL:...He had a chicken 'dinner' for breakfast & the little git rolled in fox poo yesterday at the park with Mr B. I had to wash him, of course.
Road kill reminds me of a Judge Judy case between 2 hillbilly sisters one killing a deer/moose/similar in the others car. The car owner was annoyed that the driver wouldnt pay up but thought ā€œrigor mortis stewā€ should be payment enough. Do you hear those banjos!!,

Custard šŸ¤®šŸ¤® Sorry, I can't even look at it. I did make a bread and butter pudding tonight though that went down well with the dog lol (sultanas removed). OK I'm lying, Mr CC scoffed it. I love to try to cook, it's not all nice but Bryan loves it whatever šŸ¶

CC
The bread & butter pudding would have me gagging, I'm afraid. Soggy, eggy bread is so slimy to me.

We have a Xmas Market in Belfast and quite a few food stalls. A few years back one of my cousin's daughters was there and one stall doing food tasting so she tried. The stall owner asked if she could guess the meal she had just eaten? No. It was a squirrel, the stall owner was very into roadkill along with boar meat, etc.

My dad loved tripe and onions but the one thing he ate which grossed me out even as a child were pigs trotters. They were pig feet and the cooked flesh on them was kind of jellified but the one thing which really made me heave was the fact they still had their toenails on. Dad would sit with a plate full and a tea towel tucked down his front and munch and suck the flesh off them. Yuk !

Oh, pigs feet as well called them. My grandfather loved them

When you think about it, our predecessors were far less wasteful than our generation. They ate everything but the squeak of any animal they butchered.
My mum used to cook a lot of offal. We had kidneys for breakfast or in steak and kidney pie; liver and bacon with mash or as skewers with sage. She loved a stuffed lamb heart, but we never tried it.

We have a Xmas Market in Belfast and quite a few food stalls. A few years back one of my cousin's daughters was there and one stall doing food tasting so she tried. The tall owner asked if she could guess the meal she had just eaten? No. It was a squirrel, the stall owner was very into roadkill along with boar meat, etc.

I remember Walkers sold squirrel flavour crisps. Think they were Cajun squirrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you think about it, our predecessors were far less wasteful than our generation. They ate everything but the squeak of any animal they butchered.
My mum used to cook a lot of offal. We had kidneys for breakfast or in steak and kidney pie; liver and bacon with mash or as skewers with sage. She loved a stuffed lamb heart, but we never tried it.
I love cooked heart. Roasted ox heart cold on sandwiches or braised lambs hearts slow cooked in the oven. Halve them, take out the tubes, lightly brown in a pan then braise them with carrots, barley, onion and oxo stock, long and slow. Serve with roast potatoes and seasonal veg, we usually have cabbage.

When mum did S&K pie she had to cut the kidney up really small otherwise we didnā€™t like it. Still had to eat it as refusing food wasnā€™t tolerated in our house, you ate what you were served up.

I never liked actual liver but loved the pan juices when she did liver and bacon - perhaps itā€™s texture rather than flavour?

When mum did S&K pie she had to cut the kidney up really small otherwise we didnā€™t like it. Still had to eat it as refusing food wasnā€™t tolerated in our house, you ate what you were served up.

I never liked actual liver but loved the pan juices when she did liver and bacon - perhaps itā€™s texture rather than flavour?
Our youngest has to blitz mushrooms and tomatoes for bolognese because eldest grandson doesn't like the texture.

As an adult itā€™s colour with me. I love risotto, I love mushrooms but put the two together and you get a dirty grey rice, no no no. Taste is good but the colour is awful

As mentioned before I find too many white foods on the same plate off putting.

My biggest problem is food not being hot enough. I hate carveries and buffets unless I can get a totally cold meal rather than chance a lukewarm plate of food.

Texture is often at the root of people's food dislikes. I can't bear fish with skin on - unless it's from the chippy... it just has a slimy texture. I don't like marrowfat peas because of the dry claggy texture. Tomatoes with the seeds in are not loved by many, slimy again (me, I adore the slippery pips in tomatoes)...sago or millet puddings, again slimy.
I think liver has both a slightly bitter flavour and the softer texture going against it.

My theory is that we associate sliminess in our foods as evidence of putrefaction, so our distaste is a form of self protection from eating rotten food.

Interesting MML.

Mr L is not a soup lover at the best of times but wonā€™t touch Asian clear soup with greens and Iā€™ve got to say I agree. Cant have cooked lettuce type stuff too limp as sloppy. I like my food dry and crisp.

' How do I get Andi Peters job? He is fab and the only reason I tune in for Food Fest, but I would kill for that job šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£ I could wax (coated cheese from Godminster) lyrical about good food all day, but more importantly, I can talk with my mouth full šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£'
Genuine or ironic?

' How do I get Andi Peters job? He is fab and the only reason I tune in for Food Fest, but I would kill for that job šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£ I could wax (coated cheese from Godminster) lyrical about good food all day, but more importantly, I can talk with my mouth full šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£'
Genuine or ironic?
Find him rather annoying tbh! Too shouty & mouthy, I'm sure Dale could manage fine on his own!!!! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Some random food memories. My siblings and I grew up in the 1960ā€™s.

mumā€™s dad lived with us. He and dad used to cook pigs head and pigs trotters. I could open the fridge and there they would be, in all their glory but covered inā€jellyā€. (Gelatine from the bones I assume).

helping mum make the Christmas cake - we kids dunked glacƩ cherries in hot water to remove the sugary syrup which mum said made them sink to the bottom of the cake.

Soaking shelled almonds in hot water then removing the softened skins. We would mischievously squeeze a couple and the almond would shoot out from itā€™s skin and fly across the kitchen !

mum made the most delicious lemon curd and our job was to juice the lemons on one of those old fashioned juicers which I donā€™t know how to describe.

grandad going ā€˜blackberry-ing and expecting mum to make jam. She was always annoyed with him because the berries were full of tiny green grubs and she would have to soak them overnight in salty water to get them out !

To this day my brother, sister and I talk about these memories.

Ah, offal...

As a child, I loved tripe and onions boiled in milk, pigs trotters, and brains on toast (my aunt used to cook them for us all). I still love ox liver but have always hated kidneys in any shape or form.

I go scrumping every autumn and I still have a cupboard full of combinations of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, plum, damson, apple and rhubarb jam, all costing just the price of the sugar and fuel. Very useful to give as gifts (sorry, to "gift") to people.

Latest posts

Back