Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My aunt(sister of my granny) used to give me tea which you could paint a fence with it was that strong and a cream cracker with an inch of butter on it. Hence my now disliking butter and drinking tea which a friend described as showing the water the tea bag and taking it away immediately. It looks like water with milk.

I remember getting tea with bits floating in it which my granny assured me was the cream of the milk. No, it was ****** well off! Now I am very freaky with milk and refuse to touch pass the use by date even if nothing wrong with it. Also, given pancakes and bread with green on it, and being told it was good for me as it was the best part. No, it had mold starting and they just did not want to waste the food.

On a happy note. My dad made the best hot chocolate ever when I was wee. No idea how as it was just boiled water sugar cocoa powder and milk. My mum just could not seem to do the same even using the same ingredients.

I worked with a lady whose husband was a tight selfish git. There was a very good income coming into the house and he was big into cycling, had several of those very expensive racing type bikes so many thousands of pounds sitting in the garage for his exclusive use (not like a family car for everyone). He called at the corner shop and bought out of date bread and made them scrape the mould off. She often ate food in works kitchen which belonged to work colleagues and if you went out for a staff dinner she swept the table of food.

My aunt(sister of my granny) used to give me tea which you could paint a fence with it was that strong and a cream cracker with an inch of butter on it. Hence my now disliking butter and drinking tea which a friend described as showing the water the tea bag and taking it away immediately. It looks like water with milk.

I remember getting tea with bits floating in it which my granny assured me was the cream of the milk. No, it was ****** well off! Now I am very freaky with milk and refuse to touch pass the use by date even if nothing wrong with it. Also, given pancakes and bread with green on it, and being told it was good for me as it was the best part. No, it had mold starting and they just did not want to waste the food.

On a happy note. My dad made the best hot chocolate ever when I was wee. No idea how as it was just boiled water sugar cocoa powder and milk. My mum just could not seem to do the same even using the same ingredients.

Just got back from OH and my milk has gone sour, even though within the BB date (perhaps I had a power cut while away for 6 days and the fridge went off).

But I am using it on my cereal at this very moment, quite an interesting taste.

Years ago when I was a student i worked weekends in a Spar shop. Right across the road from the shop was a Nursing home and late on Sundays just before we closed at 10pm the Nursing home owner would come in and ask what we had which was going out of date or had just gone out of date and he`d buy the lot. He knew that one of our last jobs every night was to go through the fridges, freezers, baked goods etc and put reduced prices on them. I didn`t work weekdays but apparently he did the same every night.

Just got back from OH and my milk has gone sour, even though within the BB date (perhaps I had a power cut while away for 6 days and the fridge went off).

But I am using it on my cereal at this very moment, quite an interesting taste.
That will give you a good clear out, Strato! Think positive..your milk's turned into bio yogurt.

I'll scrimp on non-essential items like clothing, but it's false economy to buy and eat sub-standard food. I won't get any QVC food either, because local produce wins hands down with me.
Agree, my food bill is high normally but has doubled in lockdown. Perhaps it’s because I have body issues clothes are very much a necessity rather than a want .
Normally holidays and coffees out take up our spare cash but that is off for the foreseeable future.

I worked with a lady whose husband was a tight selfish git. There was a very good income coming into the house and he was big into cycling, had several of those very expensive racing type bikes so many thousands of pounds sitting in the garage for his exclusive use (not like a family car for everyone). He called at the corner shop and bought out of date bread and made them scrape the mould off. She often ate food in works kitchen which belonged to work colleagues and if you went out for a staff dinner she swept the table of food.

If he was my husband I'd have sent him on his (very expensive) bike a long time ago - though I'm aware things were different in the past.

I have no idea why any woman these days would put up with that kind of abuse. Because abuse it is. I volunteered for a few years at a Women's Shelter. It was harrowing seeing some of those women and children coming in. Abuse starts off at such a low level that sometimes women don't realise that they are being abused when it escalates.

Watching the recent Corrie storyline and the mini-series about honour killings (a different and extreme form of abuse but still abuse) made me feel physically sick.

One of the first things to look out for is a woman being seen by her friends and family less frequently. It's often explained (and felt by the woman more often than not) by the man saying he loves his partner so much he needs her to himself. But if you know a woman in a new relationship that seems out of contact please don't let that happen. My friend was a social butterfly that met a man, got caught up in a whirlwind romance and disappeared for a few years. She'd assure us when we got in touch that everything was great but is now having psycho-therapy as he walked out on her straight to another woman (he did that to the woman before her) after a few years of quietly becoming nastier and nastier after isolating her from us. He destroyed her confidence and she's suffering as she blames herself for 'allowing' it to happen.

People don't consider it abuse unless there are bruises but my friend is bruised inside. It's been awful watching her as we can't just put a plaster on her injuries. We're relieved he's gone but feel sorry for the women he will do this to in the future as men like that don't change.

Sorry. Another long rant. I'm going for gold this week!

I fully understand about control issues but in this case it was only the kids I felt for as the wife was very officious (ex police not called plod for nothing) TBH they were well matched.

If he was my husband I'd have sent him on his (very expensive) bike a long time ago - though I'm aware things were different in the past.

I have no idea why any woman these days would put up with that kind of abuse. Because abuse it is. I volunteered for a few years at a Women's Shelter. It was harrowing seeing some of those women and children coming in. Abuse starts off at such a low level that sometimes women don't realise that they are being abused when it escalates.

Watching the recent Corrie storyline and the mini-series about honour killings (a different and extreme form of abuse but still abuse) made me feel physically sick.

One of the first things to look out for is a woman being seen by her friends and family less frequently. It's often explained (and felt by the woman more often than not) by the man saying he loves his partner so much he needs her to himself. But if you know a woman in a new relationship that seems out of contact please don't let that happen. My friend was a social butterfly that met a man, got caught up in a whirlwind romance and disappeared for a few years. She'd assure us when we got in touch that everything was great but is now having psycho-therapy as he walked out on her straight to another woman (he did that to the woman before her) after a few years of quietly becoming nastier and nastier after isolating her from us. He destroyed her confidence and she's suffering as she blames herself for 'allowing' it to happen.

People don't consider it abuse unless there are bruises but my friend is bruised inside. It's been awful watching her as we can't just put a plaster on her injuries. We're relieved he's gone but feel sorry for the women he will do this to in the future as men like that don't change.

Sorry. Another long rant. I'm going for gold this week!
No, it's an important point. I thought the same about that man's controlling and selfish behaviour.

So someone asking?

When is QVC going to do gift cards/ vouchers? This year especially, when I can’t get to see friends and family and postage is so expensive, a gift card to choose something from so many product ranges and brands would be perfect.
You are missing a trick here, and it’s so frustrating.

So how well do we think this would work?

Gift Voucher not accepted?

Gets lost in the post?

Someone steals it and uses?

Well Money Expert Martin Lewis reckons that you shouldn't give gift cards this year as everything is so uncertain. If the company goes bust then the recipient just has to join the long line of creditors. Unless they are for Selfridges he says no. I am not suggesting that QVC is about to go bust but we have seen other shopping channels just disappear before.

So someone asking?

When is QVC going to do gift cards/ vouchers? This year especially, when I can’t get to see friends and family and postage is so expensive, a gift card to choose something from so many product ranges and brands would be perfect.
You are missing a trick here, and it’s so frustrating.

So how well do we think this would work?

Gift Voucher not accepted?

Gets lost in the post?

Someone steals it and uses?
It wouldn't!

Customers have to be members.

Vouchers would have to be spent on items + p&p for the same amount.

Refunds would be a nightmare.

Well Money Expert Martin Lewis reckons that you shouldn't give gift cards this year as everything is so uncertain. If the company goes bust then the recipient just has to join the long line of creditors. Unless they are for Selfridges he says no. I am not suggesting that QVC is about to go bust but we have seen other shopping channels just disappear before.
I was going to post this till I saw yours.

It wouldn't!

Customers have to be members.

Vouchers would have to be spent on items + p&p for the same amount.

Refunds would be a nightmare.
If the item was bought with a gift card any refund would be made with a gift card the same as High Street retailers.

Imagine Auntie Maggie getting your voucher for £50 - tunes in sees a bottle of shampoo for £50 and thinks I’ll buy that with Sally’s voucher only to find that she has to put another £5.95 to cover postage and another £5.95 to return it.

if it’s something you are fairly sure they will like, is new stock just get it sent direct.

Latest posts

Back