Social Media - That was an eyeopener - Page 363

Page 363 of 368 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 3672
    Post Thanks / Like

Pat was asking about QVC selling Candy Canes? She loves them.

Also noticed the new gardening guy is coming on and answering people's queries etc. Someone was giving off about his telling people to cut back hedges etc in 6 weeks, but the birds are nesting then with their young and it is not allowed. He came on and answered saying sorry.
    Likes shopperholic , ERICS MUM , Still Game liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

Also noticed the new gardening guy is coming on and answering people's queries etc. Someone was giving off about his telling people to cut back hedges etc in 6 weeks, but the birds are nesting then with their young and it is not allowed. He came on and answered saying sorry.
    'Not allowed' ? Preservation order on a hedge?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, seems you cannot cut hedges etc when birds and young in the nest.
    Thanks SisterBliss thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, seems you cannot cut hedges etc when birds and young in the nest.
    Bet there is a hedge trimmer TSV coming up
    Likes SisterBliss, ERICS MUM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

He actually mentioned on a show yesterday that people should check for nesting birds before trimming their hedges.
    Thanks donna255 thanked for this post
    Likes Toril liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

He mentioned it after seeing that FB post, I think. It's like lily pollen being poisonous to cats. They never used to mention that, but they do now after posts were made about it.

The one who posted on FB about nesting birds is correct, although I don't think it's illegal if you do cut your hedges, but the tree surgeon who prunes my leylandai hedge every year will only come after the nesting season is over.

I think most of what they say is to purely to get sales and often bears no consideration to nature and animals etc., but they should get their facts straight before spouting on about a product.
    Thanks donna255 thanked for this post
    Likes SisterBliss, ERICS MUM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toril View Post
    He mentioned it after seeing that FB post, I think. It's like lily pollen being poisonous to cats. They never used to mention that, but they do now after posts were made about it.

The one who posted on FB about nesting birds is correct, although I don't think it's illegal if you do cut your hedges, but the tree surgeon who prunes my leylandai hedge every year will only come after the nesting season is over.

I think most of what they say is to purely to get sales and often bears no consideration to nature and animals etc., but they should get their facts straight before spouting on about a product.

It would be rather hard to 'police' hedge trimming laws if it actually were illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

All it would take is a neighbour to phone the RSPCA and tout on you.
    Thanks SisterBliss thanked for this post
    Likes shopperholic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FR9M 2015 UK

This year saw the introduction of new rules for hedge-cutting under cross compliance.

It means that you are not allowed to cut or trim your hedgerow between 1 March and 31 August unless you have applied for a derogation from the RPA and received written permission or any of the following apply:

The hedgerow overhangs a highway, road or footpath over which there is a public or private right of way and the overhanging hedgerow obstructs the passage of, or is a danger to, vehicles, pedestrians or horse riders
    The hedgerow is dead, diseased, damaged or insecurely rooted and because of its condition, it or part of it, is likely to cause danger by falling on to a highway, road or footpath; or obstructs the view of drivers or the light from a public lamp
    It is to carry out hedge-laying or coppicing during the period 1 March to 30 April (inclusive)
    It is to trim a newly laid hedgerow by hand, within six months of it being laid

And in R of Ireland it is actually illegal.
    Thanks donna255 , shopperholic , Linwood thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loveallthingsitalian View Post
    FR9M 2015 UK

This year saw the introduction of new rules for hedge-cutting under cross compliance.

It means that you are not allowed to cut or trim your hedgerow between 1 March and 31 August unless you have applied for a derogation from the RPA and received written permission or any of the following apply:

The hedgerow overhangs a highway, road or footpath over which there is a public or private right of way and the overhanging hedgerow obstructs the passage of, or is a danger to, vehicles, pedestrians or horse riders
    The hedgerow is dead, diseased, damaged or insecurely rooted and because of its condition, it or part of it, is likely to cause danger by falling on to a highway, road or footpath; or obstructs the view of drivers or the light from a public lamp
    It is to carry out hedge-laying or coppicing during the period 1 March to 30 April (inclusive)
    It is to trim a newly laid hedgerow by hand, within six months of it being laid

And in R of Ireland it is actually illegal.
    I think the clue is in the cross compliance part at the top. Useful info though.
    Thanks loveallthingsitalian thanked for this post