Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes I get that pop up when I first look at FB and do click on not now. But when strolling through the messages, after a while a very small box pops up with no not now option, just log in if you want to continue......... otherwise go away!

Although there are over 50 posts I can only see the last couple today.

Is it just me or are there an unusual number of posts thanking SC PERSONALLY for their order.

These people need to get a grip

I noticed that too but having already done a fair amount of digging around on Facebook and instagram, they mostly seem to be from people who are actually friends of SC and his other half, so I'm guessing the troops have been rallied.

I must admit, this whole episode has somewhat sullied my view of SC - as has already been said, I would have hoped for something approaching an apology from him or his other half but the silence just adds to this sordid situation.

I noticed that too but having already done a fair amount of digging around on Facebook and instagram, they mostly seem to be from people who are actually friends of SC and his other half, so I'm guessing the troops have been rallied.

I must admit, this whole episode has somewhat sullied my view of SC - as has already been said, I would have hoped for something approaching an apology from him or his other half but the silence just adds to this sordid situation.

He should apologise to make it clear he does not approve of what was said. My other half would be on the sofa for the foreseeable.

He should apologise to make it clear he does not approve of what was said. My other half would be on the sofa for the foreseeable.

Exactly, keeping schtum is wrong in every way - if they think they can just sweep this under the carpet, they've seriously misjudged the situation as there were some hardcore Q'ers up in arms and I doubt they'll let it go so easily.

Perhaps his husband has told him not to apologise for him. Some people do hate that, and goodness you wouldn't want to upset this chap, would you!?! What amazes me is how we listen to Steven , who seems a charming and rather gentle chap to me, banging on about the beautiful ambience in the apartment as they relax with the My Serenity burning etc etc, whereas the husband spews out posts like that!!!! Slight contrast methinks.

Steven should grow a pair of cahoonas along with that hair, and no matter how much he loves his husband, he should distance himself from those messages and yes apologise, if my husband did that (which he never would) or he'd be wearing his cahoonas as earrings, I would apologise for him more for me really, I wouldn't want anyone thinking that I'd be associated with someone who spoke and treated anyone like that. Stevens husband should allow, and want, him to apologise on his behalf one, to save his career and two, because it's the decent thing to do.

Perhaps his husband has told him not to apologise for him. Some people do hate that, and goodness you wouldn't want to upset this chap, would you!?! What amazes me is how we listen to Steven , who seems a charming and rather gentle chap to me, banging on about the beautiful ambience in the apartment as they relax with the My Serenity burning etc etc, whereas the husband spews out posts like that!!!! Slight contrast methinks.

Yes and SC quite often refers to his husband when flogging the candles.

Yep, you can't use your other half to paint a pretty picture of domestic bliss when you are selling something and then conveniently ignore that other half when they do something that doesn't match the idyllic lifestyle scenario. Steven owes it to his loyal customers to condemn the partner's foul-mouthed abuse.

I've been back to check on the original posts on Q's FB page and I think the wotsit has really hit the fan. Recipients of the vile messages, in light of Q's reluctance to do anything, have reported the messages to YC and a certain department store where SC's other half works and both of them have confirmed they are investigating and will take action accordingly.

Probably Q told SC to keep quiet but with the big guns potentially wading in, they'll be quick to throw him under the bus. I'd wager alcohol and very, very poor judgment are the culprits here.

I would agree with your wager. I feel very sorry for Steven if he suffers the fallout from his husband's nastiness. I looked at Steven's Twatter page and there has been no action for nearly a day, assuming that public page is still in use and you don't switch to private. I don't know how it works. But he is never silent on it, is he? So I reckon it is low profiles all round until a strategy (if they want to bother and not just throw him under the bus) is developed. First action point, get the vile husband off social media! Trouble is, even if you allow for an anything goes philosophy on the internet, such messages don't really go with the world of scented candles do they???? I just hope they don't sack him*, getting a bit worried about that now.

* I mean Steven of course, don't care tuppence about the husband. Which store are they contacting, Tarketta?

I would agree with your wager. I feel very sorry for Steven if he suffers the fallout from his husband's nastiness. I looked at Steven's Twatter page and there has been no action for nearly a day, assuming that public page is still in use and you don't switch to private. I don't know how it works. But he is never silent on it, is he? So I reckon it is low profiles all round until a strategy (if they want to bother and not just throw him under the bus) is developed. First action point, get the vile husband off social media! Trouble is, even if you allow for an anything goes philosophy on the internet, such messages don't really go with the world of scented candles do they???? I just hope they don't sack him*, getting a bit worried about that now.

* I mean Steven of course, don't care tuppence about the husband. Which store are they contacting, Tarketta?

If he is given the sack he can blame the moles who reported back what was being said in a closed group. If they are on here I hope they are squirming reading all this.

I've been back to check on the original posts on Q's FB page and I think the wotsit has really hit the fan. Recipients of the vile messages, in light of Q's reluctance to do anything, have reported the messages to YC and a certain department store where SC's other half works and both of them have confirmed they are investigating and will take action accordingly.

Probably Q told SC to keep quiet but with the big guns potentially wading in, they'll be quick to throw him under the bus. I'd wager alcohol and very, very poor judgment are the culprits here.

I am very pleased this is happening. QVC asked mentioned earlier will no doubt try to brush it under the rug. I did say report to YC UK.

I wonder if the closed group has an administrator/moderator because if I received an abusive message like that, I would have made a formal complaint about him there and, if he wasn't booted out, I think I would have complained bitterly and then probably left.

PS I don't know the etiquette of FB groups, open or closed, but I think the blame for this lies firmly with the husband. His obscene messages are the cause and if he wants to fling it out, he has to take it when it is flung back. Steven is collateral damage (but hopefully not).

I wonder if the closed group has an administrator/moderator because if I received an abusive message like that, I would have made a formal complaint about him there and, if he wasn't booted out, I think I would have complained bitterly and then probably left.

PS I don't know the etiquette of FB groups, open or closed, but I think the blame for this lies firmly with the husband. His obscene messages are the cause and if he wants to fling it out, he has to take it when it is flung back. Steven is collateral damage (but hopefully not).

I believe said mole or moles have been eradicated.

Well hopefully the husband has been too, otherwise it suggests that abusing fellow members is acceptable practice......

Crikey let`s hope Steven and his hubby never divorce because if this guy can react so badly to someone commenting about Steven`s hair, just imagine how he`d react about something mega. It would be like a scene from the Godfather, Chihuaha`s head in the bed, Immac in the hair conditioner bottle and hiring a chainsaw to carve up the furniture !

Gosh this really is an unpleasant situation, even for the shady world of social media. I like SC as he really knows his stuff and seems a nice chap, but as Mazza and others have said, this doesn't exactly fit in with the homely image of Yankee Candles, so the repercussions could be very damaging.

As for his other half, no amount of poor judgment and booze can excuse that behaviour (especially as it's not the first time) so I don't think John Lewis will look too kindly on that.

I didn't know he had "previous" for this type of thing. Not quite the sweetheart we have heard about then!

I doubt JLP would take action unless something can be found in their Staff Code of Conduct as any charge of bringing their business into disrepute is a bit tenuous, IMHO. Plus their standard of customer service these days does that for them!!!! Q seem to allow some people to do stuff so they might say it is just down to the vile husband for whom Steven cannot be held accountable. I would hazard a guess the biggest risk is whether YC consider the brand ambassador to be tainted by unseemly behaviour/association.

AndiK has hit the nail on the head.

SC can't expect to paint the ideal YC couple to sell and then walk away from his partners actions when it suits.

I'm not into YC and from what I did see always thought he seemed a nice enough chap but reading his twats I've come to the conclusion that he is a bit of a drip

Latest posts

Back