Honesty!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Here's a thread idea that I suspect will go down like a lead balloon, however I'd like to be proved wrong. Do you ever recall a QVC presenter honestly say they didn't like something? Or that it wasn't good value etc? Did they ever say anything negative that was refreshingly honest / helpful? Was there a time where a guest made some outlandish claim only to be scotched by some true integrity?

I'm not talking about the faux, "token" honesty ("If you're under 90 don't buy this Tova Nights" / "If you're 16 you don't need Gatineau Super Duper Firamrome Bust Gelée for your décolleté") or anything obvious like Julia's "I don't like this fig candle." I'm talking about REAL SINCERITY!

When was it? What was the product? Who said what?

I remember a time when Jilly Halliday was presenting a hideous sterling silver key with "happy 21st birthday" on it and she said: "this is not the most attractive piece of jewellery and you're probably just going to keep it in drawer for sentimental reasons!"

Julian is probably the last presenter who did tell you when he didn't like stuff in a way that you believed him, because he was consistent about it.

Jill Franks used to be very transparent in her expressions when she didn't like something. She seems to have trained herself out of it now, more's the pity.

JF enthusiastically selling fake Christmas trees ,then telling her guests she would only ever have a real tree like most people she knows .It came across as a bit snobbish and looking down on people like me who have reverted to fake trees.

It was very obvious hell would freeze over before JF would allow a fake tree in her house.

This was a couple of years ago ,and I haven't heard it since ,but then I don't watch many Christmas shows.

I got my tree in Ikea sale and it comes out most years and looks a treat.No mess.

Last edited:
The only instance I can think of is when someone made wine ice cream. I can't recall if it was Dale or Charlie, but he pulled this disgusted face and had to admit that it tasted awful!

Also, I think AY is pretty honest about products she sells. She will tell people not to buy if she doesn't think it's for them.

I remember Kara Baker selling Diamonique and telling us it was suitable to have as an engagement ring. She then informed us that her partner had bought her a real diamond, and it was a very good job he had. It left me feeling like Diamonique was good enough for plebs like me but not for her.

I also remember Julia selling a cardigan and saying that she wouldn't wear it but her mum would.

The only instance I can think of is if a presenter tries to eat something that they don't like and they fail to hide their dislike.

Latest posts

Back