Peter Simon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

'No obsession' says the poster who's user name is Petespants, and until recently, had a picture of Peter Simon as his profile picture. You couldn't make it up!

In all honesty, I came here because I enjoy watching Peter Simon on Ideal World. Sometimes I buy something. I remember him from my youth and am glad to see he has made some success on shopping channels. So it shocks me that he should attract such hatred and vitriol when he's simply there to make you smile and sell a few bits.

Do you ever get new members here? I ask because my few posts have been questioned in a way that is far from welcoming. I 'suddenly' appear, do I? How else do new members begin posting? I actually don't like to argue, but my liking of PS has attracted such rudeness and bile, how would you react?

I was a newbie and made very welcome. I joined because I found the forum amusing. If I didn't agree with the type of comments being made I wouldn't have joined because I hate confrontation and arguments. I avoid a discussion if it gets a bit nasty. Newbies are always welcome (I hope).

'No obsession' says the poster who's user name is Petespants, and until recently, had a picture of Peter Simon as his profile picture. You couldn't make it up!

In all honesty, I came here because I enjoy watching Peter Simon on Ideal World. Sometimes I buy something. I remember him from my youth and am glad to see he has made some success on shopping channels. So it shocks me that he should attract such hatred and vitriol when he's simply there to make you smile and sell a few bits.

Do you ever get new members here? I ask because my few posts have been questioned in a way that is far from welcoming. I 'suddenly' appear, do I? How else do new members begin posting? I actually don't like to argue, but my liking of PS has attracted such rudeness and bile, how would you react?

I think,new member Paz,you are confusing me with someone else.I have never had a profile picture on the forum.If I was able to have one ,it would not be of Pete.An ideal picture would be of something beautiful and wholesome such as a flower,or a favourite scenery.New members are often welcomed here.I was made very welcome.However,I respected other peoples' opinions . Not always agreeing with them entirely but respecting the point of view of other people rather than getting into arguments over minor issues.Life's too short. If you like him fine but accept that others don't.

Last edited:
I would be more inclined to respect the opinions of others if they were kind enough to do the same and I've seen no evidence of that in this little echo chamber.

I think,new member Paz,you are confusing me with someone else.I have never had a profile picture on the forum.If I was able to have one ,it would not be of Pete.An ideal picture would be of something beautiful and wholesome such as a flower,or a favourite scenery.New members are often welcomed here.I was made very welcome.However,I respected other peoples' opinions . Not always agreeing with them entirely but respecting the point of view of other people rather than getting into arguments over minor issues.Life's too short. If you like him fine but accept that others don't.

I think the "newbie" is confusing you with Wirral, who only had the pervs profile picture for a laugh. I'd just ignore them now Pp, you can tell when someone is out for a rise. Peter Simon has actually been reported to the ASA quite a few times, so if someone feels strongly enough about him to do that, then our little "echo chamber" or people who have the same opinions as I like to call it, is trivial in comparison.

Do you remember a couple of years ago a family member of Mike Mason joined the forum to defend the comments that were made about his style of presenting?
You are entitled to post your views Paz just like the rest of us about the way Peter Simon chooses to present himself on IW. For me I do not find his style amusing but off putting. I would rather see Dean on the sister channel C&C who can be amusing without constant smut.

Before I leave this thread (until my fellow forumites or I make further interesting observations on the topic to which it owes its title ,I was wondering....is it possible that 'Our Bet' is amongst us?

Er, what? Perhaps checking your facts might be a good idea, Paz, as it gives comments some credibility. So "he's simply there to make you laugh" is he? Funnily enough, he fails dismally with me, as I don't think telling porkies about medical conditions of myself or others is particularly 'hilarious', neither is a washed-up '70's "star" who can't string a sentence of factual information together.

But if you take away the smut, he hasn't got an act (oh, I forgot, he hasn't got an act anyway) :mysmilie_17:
Do you remember a couple of years ago a family member of Mike Mason joined the forum to defend the comments that were made about his style of presenting?
You are entitled to post your views Paz just like the rest of us about the way Peter Simon chooses to present himself on IW. For me I do not find his style amusing but off putting. I would rather see Dean on the sister channel C&C who can be amusing without constant smut.

Perhaps if you got your facts right about who had the picture of Pete it might help. Perhaps you will be big enough to apologise to Petespants? I wonder! And, by the way, perhaps the picture of Pete that you mention was there as .....oh the horror of it! - a joke! Just a thought....we do like a laugh on this forum, you know..

I would be more inclined to respect the opinions of others if they were kind enough to do the same and I've seen no evidence of that in this little echo chamber.

Perhaps if you got your facts right about who had the picture of Pete it might help. Perhaps you will be big enough to apologise to Petespants? I wonder! And, by the way, perhaps the picture of Pete that you mention was there as .....oh the horror of it! - a joke! Just a thought....we do like a laugh on this forum, you know..

Apparently he's there to entertain (according to Paz), not to explain in the best way possible what you're buying. I suppose that's right though, I often go into Sainsbury's and expect the man behind the counter to do his best failed entertainment routine, filled with as much filth as he can get away with along with all the sexual innuendos he can muster. If any shop assistant (which is what Peter Simon is supposed to be) acted like that disgusting perv, they'd be sacked on the spot.

Apparently he's there to entertain (according to Paz), not to explain in the best way possible what you're buying. I suppose that's right though, I often go into Sainsbury's and expect the man behind the counter to do his best failed entertainment routine, filled with as much filth as he can get away with along with all the sexual innuendos he can muster. If any shop assistant (which is what Peter Simon is supposed to be) acted like that disgusting perv, they'd be sacked on the spot.

I think the people who hired him think he's entertaining, Pervy certainly thinks he's entertaining, Paz does, De Knees has said on air she 'loves him', Gen laughs hysterically at him.

Fortunately, the BBC, ITV etc., Steve 'Gemporia' Bennett, do not :mysmilie_19: so he's best off where he is, out of the way on a twobit shopping channel and thankfully only for a few hours a week.

We don't know when we're well off I suppose :mysmilie_17:

I think the people who hired him think he's entertaining, Pervy certainly thinks he's entertaining, Paz does, De Knees has said on air she 'loves him', Gen laughs hysterically at him.

Fortunately, the BBC, ITV etc., Steve 'Gemporia' Bennett, do not :mysmilie_19: so he's best off where he is, out of the way on a twobit shopping channel and thankfully only for a few hours a week.

We don't know when we're well off I suppose :mysmilie_17:

That's precisely right. I personally don't find his innuendos particularly offensive (at least when relating to his usual 'level') but it is tacky and inappropriate in the context of selling products even if the products themselves are just as tacky and inappropriate. It's like hearing a premium brand car salesman use the 'F'-word like I did once during a test drive; it just seemed wrong and unprofessional on that occasion.

Paz, Wait until you have a gran/grandad/mum/dad/elderly aunt/uncle etc who buys an item thinking they have a whopper of a deal at £100 but the fact of the matter is the item was £400!!!, but as per usual Peter didnt say £100 is the FIRST OF 4 FLEXI PAYMENTS, No Peter done his usual "get this home for £100 today thats all!!!!! BUY IT NOW!"

See if you are still laughing then Paz! Or as its just a laugh you could square the poor sod(s) up with the extra £300 needed!!!

That's precisely right. I personally don't find his innuendos particularly offensive (at least when relating to his usual 'level') but it is tacky and inappropriate in the context of selling products even if the products themselves are just as tacky and inappropriate. It's like hearing a premium brand car salesman use the 'F'-word like I did once during a test drive; it just seemed wrong and unprofessional on that occasion.

I agree. I also am not particularly offended by much of his "alleged humour" - I have worked as an admin officer in police stations for most of my working life and have heard a lot of coppers "banter". However it is inappropriate on television, he often goes too far and quite frankly, he is so creepy it makes him look like a pervert. Hence his nickname here "Pervy Pete"

I agree. I also am not particularly offended by much of his "alleged humour" - I have worked as an admin officer in police stations for most of my working life and have heard a lot of coppers "banter". However it is inappropriate on television, he often goes too far and quite frankly, he is so creepy it makes him look like a pervert. Hence his nickname here "Pervy Pete"

I find him creepy in an uncomfortable and unwholesome way.He also takes advantage of his (ha ha) status to appear to manhandle the models on occasions.If a person was to do that in any other profession they would be in trouble. His innuendos,whilst not the worst,are not appropriate for a so called 'family 'channel.Neither are his gestures or posturing. e.g rolling in feigned ecstasy selling a massager. He also needs to make sure he concentrates on his job-selling products accurately and fairly.I too have experienced the humour and language used in services such as the police and it doesn't bother me.On TV when a person such as Dean or Nigel have a cheeky joke it is all in fun and inoffensive to noone.PS seems to be different and causes controversy.Something must be amiss and only the fans cannot see it.

Last edited:
The way I see it is that he's so busy in his head trying to concoct his next feeble attempt at humour he forgets the reason he is there, he is just a glorified sales assistant and a bad one at that! Standing there waiting for the crew to laugh it's just pathetic and rather sad.

I don't offend easily and I agree, it's not that he offends me it's just inappropriate and totally unacceptable to act like that in that work environment, if he wants to act like that, get a job in a pub or social club, after all, people need somewhere to get rid of their fruit and veg that's gone off, and what better way than to lob it at unfunny dirty get, the guys more camp than Haven.

Latest posts

Back