Yankee Candles TSV 09/01/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When companies cut costs to keep the price the same, either the quality or the quantity invariably suffer. When a company increases the prices as well as reducing the quality they embark on the road to ruin... For both the brand and the product.

Problem is that not every customer will accept the same measures... And when all is said and done, we really just want the same high quality, at the same price for the same quantity.
The brands will always disappoint some of their customers and alienate some with the decisions they make.

to be fair they are still better than prices. i really liked them in the past but they have really ruined thier stock now. smell ok on cold sniff not even 1% when lit. will never buy them again which is a shame as i used to love them..
as been said there are deals out there re yankee and when there ase sales or christmas stock going for well under 50% thats the time to buy

I read a blog on Yankee candles, they said that the wax tartlets give off far more scent than burning the candles.

Totally agree with that. I only buy tarts. When I first started buying votives back in the day they were the best value and best scent, then they changed and I sent so many back as they smelled of zilch. I get two tealights worth of scent out of each tart and you can get ten for a tenner on fleabay. Candles are my indulgence and I know a relative waste of money but a tenner at a time isn't out of my price range. Bought a small jar candle a while back and although you could smell it, it was too faint for me. Not worth the money.

CC

Last edited:
I think Yankee are good, but for me personally, I only ever buy melts - not from Q but either from Yankee themselves or from other online stores -they're just as cheap and cheaper. They sell them in my local garden centre and they work out at around £1.25 each so you can pay 99p online, depending on scent and sale prices, plus you get credits i.e. points if you buy from Yankee. I buy them because for me they're more fragrant than the other options, and I also know that if I forget to put them out, the little tea lights will go out on their own anyway.

I'm in the US at the minute on holiday & have bought my Mum some YC Red Berry & Cedar as a thank-you for looking after my cats (this is her favourite & retired in the UK).

I got her a medium jar for $8, two packs of tealights for $5 each and six votives & six melts for $10. That's just short of $30 (including their local tax) for a '37 piece set' (as QVC would say), which is around £24. Bargain.

It's so much cheaper here & there is way more choice.

Well done on the bargain hunt. Don't you just hate it when they add sales tax on at the till?! I much prefer our inclusive pricing, you know where you are then, lol.

I hope you are having a lovely time in the US.

Well done on the bargain hunt. Don't you just hate it when they add sales tax on at the till?! I much prefer our inclusive pricing, you know where you are then, lol.

I hope you are having a lovely time in the US.

major irritation that is how much is the sales tax now it used to be 6% has it gone up

I'm in the US at the minute on holiday & have bought my Mum some YC Red Berry & Cedar as a thank-you for looking after my cats (this is her favourite & retired in the UK).

I got her a medium jar for $8, two packs of tealights for $5 each and six votives & six melts for $10. That's just short of $30 (including their local tax) for a '37 piece set' (as QVC would say), which is around £24. Bargain.

It's so much cheaper here & there is way more choice.

thats wierd cause i went to boots & they had lots of red berry & ceder reduced to clear so dont know where they got that from cause it was on their 3 for 2 offer before christmas

Me too! I generally get my plain tealights from Robert Dyas and I noticed last night they were lasting a good five hours. I blew them out before they could make it to hour six. I have loads of tealights and tarts but they are all matched to Candles so when they burn, the other stuff burns as well. As well as the names you give, I like to check out Rhys Candles and Temptation Gifts. A parcel of mine did not come on the allotted day and TG were absolutely fantastic in the way they dealt with it. (Someone rang the courier company and sorted it out whilst I was still speaking and giving all my details to their rep. So when I paused for breath she came on the line and told me what had happened and what she was trying to do. It turned up a couple of hours later. Can you imagine that with Q???)

:mysmilie_59:

I bought a load of Price's tea lights from Robert Dyas last year too - I think the big bags were 3 for the price of 2 so it worked out pretty reasonable. Like you, I find they last a good 5 hours and I really don't see they are any different (apart from in price) to the Yankees that they try to tell us on QVC we must use in our melt warmers.

I wonder why Yankee are hiking the prices again because my local independent Yankee store are selling their Christmas stock at greatly reduced prices, and haven't even followed the last price hike, they're still selling at £19.99 for the large jar etc.. and they must still be making a profit.
I'll be interested to see what the TSV is, and the price, because the standard for 3 large jars on QVC is now £50 + 5.96 postage - if they are going to top that price it will have to be for USA exclusives as it's easy to find all of the UK large jars on ebay for £16.99 and free postage.

The prices do seem inconsistent but you are certainly lucky if your local shop sells them at £19.99 "full price" still. Is that current ranges?

Conversely, I noticed last week in Boots, they had already increased the shelf price of the large jars to £23.99. It really annoys me as it's the same fairly limited range that they stock (although they are gradually improving the choice) - Vanilla Cupcake, Vanilla Lime, Black Coconut, Black Cherry ... and I really don't believe they are all brand new stock so they wouldn't have paid the increased wholesale price for those on the shelves already.

to be fair they are still better than prices. i really liked them in the past but they have really ruined thier stock now. smell ok on cold sniff not even 1% when lit. will never buy them again which is a shame as i used to love them..
as been said there are deals out there re yankee and when there ase sales or christmas stock going for well under 50% thats the time to buy

What DID happen to Price's? I used to love them too.

my local boots (both) cleared all the standard range like black coconut, vanilla lime, vanilla cupcake ect for the same price as the christmas ones so £10.99 for a large jar & to replace them they will have to buy at the higher price to restock them

my local boots (both) cleared all the standard range like black coconut, vanilla lime, vanilla cupcake ect for the same price as the christmas ones so £10.99 for a large jar & to replace them they will have to buy at the higher price to restock them

It sounds like my Boots is subsidising yours!

Just taken a look at the Wax Addicts website - Cottage Breeze is coming back as a special in 2017, hoorah!!!!

http://www.waxaddicts.co.uk/2017-ukeurope-information/4592638190

Ooh, I've not heard of that one. As long as it's not a cottage that has dry rot and a chicken coop by the back door, eh? :giggle:

But seriously, what would you compare it to? Not that I am going to be buying of course (remember resolution, remember resolution, remember resolution ..... ).

it really does dont it? though i know others have got peony ect at £10.99 from them but anyway ive just posted the tsv above & its a fab one & all 3 smell amazing

They did have a few Christmas ones at half price, at least - and half the old price at that (£10.99), so can't complain.

As for the TSV, it does look interesting and I'm sure it will be popular but I'm going to have to try (hard) to resist it. Do you know if the Illuma-lid only comes with the first delivery and that will be a few quid more than the future drops, as they did once before when we got a wick-trimmer with the first one?

They did have a few Christmas ones at half price, at least - and half the old price at that (£10.99), so can't complain.

As for the TSV, it does look interesting and I'm sure it will be popular but I'm going to have to try (hard) to resist it. Do you know if the Illuma-lid only comes with the first delivery and that will be a few quid more than the future drops, as they did once before when we got a wick-trimmer with the first one?

as far as im concerned your getting the illuma lid for free so it be just one illuma lid & the 3 jars & then just the 3 jars

Ooh, I've not heard of that one. As long as it's not a cottage that has dry rot and a chicken coop by the back door, eh? :giggle:

But seriously, what would you compare it to? Not that I am going to be buying of course (remember resolution, remember resolution, remember resolution ..... ).

Ha ha, definitely nothing like that! It's my all-time favourite YC scent and to me (apologies for sounding pervy) it smells fresh sweat on a hunky man on an amazing beach...not that I've ever been there, I've just got a good imagination ;)!!!!

On a less pervy note, it smells like an incredibly rich ozone smell, it's just gorgeous

Latest posts

Back