What sort of thing do you wear to cook Christmas lunch?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Go on, throw on your Yong Kim's - always a good idea to wear something cheap and cheerful(?) when you are on kitchen duty, and if all else fails use it to mop up any spillages:mysmilie_17: Tee shirt and joggers for me too, but like someone else has said, I do a quick change before the meal. I tend to leave smartening up until after the meal - that's if I can still move!

The husband is wearing an outfit with "Grandad Elf" written on the red top with green striped trouser bottoms, he loves doing things like that, I just wear an old t-shirt and jogging bottoms, I'd like to say I dress up in my evening gown and tiara in the night but I don't.........I do that Boxing Day. :mysmilie_17:

Visiting someone else is always a good way out of having to do the cooking, however slow cookers really make it so easy it's great, and I'm sure when one visits someone else's house one is supposed to offer to do the washing up etc.
I might actually be spending Christmas in New York as I won a prize in a raffle at work. Everyone who wins "employee of the month" gets put into a prize draw at Christmas - and apparently I've won the all-inclusive 5-day trip to NYC! I didn't bother going to the Christmas party but a friend texted me to say: "congratulations!" I don't know how quickly I will get the tickets - I will ask HR tomorrow. The prize is for 2 but I don't have anyone to go with, but I dare say some colleague will want to go, or I could just go on my own. I haven't been to New York in years so it will be fun. Thinking about it though it might be better to go in spring / summer.

Well, Julius, if you ever get stuck for a companion ..................

This post got me in a tizzy! I start on Christmas Eve. Set the table get the drinks all sorted in the huge cool box, make the soup, defrost the prawns have some wine!
Make a trifle - slug of sherry....
Get the presents out in huge bundles, have a wine! PJs on watch the midnight service and hubby and I do our gifts.

Up early and still in PJs sort the veg out, peel potatoes, get hubby out of bed!

Buck's Fizz salmon and eggs. Tidy round the house and try to make the kitchen look OK...... Turkey in always have pre cooked ham joint so carve this wrap in grease proof paper ready to heat. Good god it's hot! Wine is chilled.

2:30 the in laws, outlaws and children arrive, grandchildren are knackered but hey present time.....

Around 3:30 it's dinner....lost the sprouts what the hell, more wine. I've not got the PJs on but a little black dress don't know how don't know when.

MERRY CHRISTMAD.

I'm in awe!!! Very funny and recognisable. All the stress for one day... Mad indeed.

I'm at friends. Arrive mid-afternoon on Christmas Eve and home Boxing day or the morning after.

When I do do Christmas catering it is goose or duck, sometimes chicken as I don't actually like turkey. I lost the gig when I served stir-fried Brussels sprouts with the meal. Normally will start cooking in jim-jams and get dressed once everything is in the oven.

At my destination, the meal will be well underway by the time I enter the kitchen. In my defense, I will have been prepping veg at some point on Christmas Eve. But mainly my job is to mingle and quaff wine. I think I can manage that for the day!

Anyone who is eating away from home I hope you all arrive looking lovely wafting in wearing YK/Join :mysmilie_11:, little number, beautifully made up care of Q ready to enjoy the old vino/drink of your choice.

I will be on my 3nd nervous breakdown by 3pm, splattered to the eyeballs, had at least one dissasstter darling and threatening to take the last plane out of the country next year.

Mingling and quaffing wine - that sounds great!

Boxing Day I will probably be crawling on the floor playing with 5-yr old twins, desperately trying to stop rellie's 8-month pup eating everything they drop!

I don't. Cook Xmas dinner that is, not wear clothes! I am vegetarian and my family eat meat. Most of the year I cook meat for them but I draw the line at a huge bird, or four as this year they are having a four bird roast. I will cook stuffed red peppers for me on Christmas Eve and help hubby with the veg etc on the day. I'll still wear light clothing on Xmas day though as with the oven on the house gets so warm.

I'm surprised they assume their viewers actually cook Christmas dinner and don't have staff to do it for them given that we've all got at least two homes with Molton Brown hand wash in all the loos etc.

However, if you have ordered a Geen thing QVC hamper you just have to call the local take away.......Oh my giddy aunt I missed that trick!

However, if you have ordered a Geen thing QVC hamper you just have to call the local take away.......Oh my giddy aunt I missed that trick!

I wouldn't go near a cooker with any of the fashions from Q as your likely to be flombayed! 💥🔥

Who wears anything fancy or dressy to cook anything in. I don't know about anyone else but whenever I have cooked a roast dinner my clothes and hair absolutely stink of cooking. It doesn't matter how scrubbed and cleaned my oven is I still end up smelling to high heaven of food. I just wouldn't wear any good clothes to cook it. I always think it would be lovely to wear a sparkly little number but realistically it's never going to happen in our house.

Who wears anything fancy or dressy to cook anything in. I don't know about anyone else but whenever I have cooked a roast dinner my clothes and hair absolutely stink of cooking. It doesn't matter how scrubbed and cleaned my oven is I still end up smelling to high heaven of food. I just wouldn't wear any good clothes to cook it. I always think it would be lovely to wear a sparkly little number but realistically it's never going to happen in our house.

Thank goodness I though it was just me - I've been watching too much Q - I'll be going to a garden party next!

I sometimes dig out something a few years old (assuming it still fits) and sacrifice to the God's of cooking disasters

Oh yes I've learned by my mistakes, like the great cooking oil disaster of '95 when trying to impress the in laws when over for tea, I unscrewed the vegetable oil and it went all down my best top.

I remember my mother getting up at around 4am to cook Christmas dinner when I was a child. I think so many people force themselves to "do the right thing" and "be the best" and what I really don't like is the "forced enjoyment" of it all. It's almost like feeling empty, sad or alone is not allowed. It kind of written in an invisible contract and it's totally non-negotiable. Unfortunately for many people it's a lonely time of year, a fake and insincere time of year, a time when the cork of loneliness held under the water for the rest of the year rises to surface as they reflect on past Christmases with loved ones who are no longer around. I sometimes feel that the few days before Christmas is almost worse than Christmas itself. It's all the tacky tinsel, the frenzied bustling in the shops, the horrible f***ing Christmas records. I don't know about other people but I find it quite a draining time of year. Last year I was OK and sat in the flat with the light coming in, quite at peace with everything. This year it's more daunting. Still, I will get the ingredients for the meal tomorrow night. I'll shove everything in the slow cooker on Christmas day and drive out to my flying club to check the plane I fly. Then I will return home and put some nuts out for the squirrels and just read and relax.

Hear, hear Julius. Well said.

I've enjoyed wonderful Christmases in the past with parents, husband and families. Not having children, my parents no long around, my husband passing, and now its just me and the dog. A brother living in the North and another brother locally who has invited me for lunch. I shall go, as at least I don't have to get myself something to eat, and then return home and be glad when its all over. This year I couldn't even be ar...ed to put up decorations, even my xmas cards are just sitting in a pile, BUT I do get pleasure from attending Midnight Mass, for me, the real meaning of Christmas.

I remember my mother getting up at around 4am to cook Christmas dinner when I was a child. I think so many people force themselves to "do the right thing" and "be the best" and what I really don't like is the "forced enjoyment" of it all. It's almost like feeling empty, sad or alone is not allowed. It kind of written in an invisible contract and it's totally non-negotiable. Unfortunately for many people it's a lonely time of year, a fake and insincere time of year, a time when the cork of loneliness held under the water for the rest of the year rises to surface as they reflect on past Christmases with loved ones who are no longer around. I sometimes feel that the few days before Christmas is almost worse than Christmas itself. It's all the tacky tinsel, the frenzied bustling in the shops, the horrible f***ing Christmas records. I don't know about other people but I find it quite a draining time of year. Last year I was OK and sat in the flat with the light coming in, quite at peace with everything. This year it's more daunting. Still, I will get the ingredients for the meal tomorrow night. I'll shove everything in the slow cooker on Christmas day and drive out to my flying club to check the plane I fly. Then I will return home and put some nuts out for the squirrels and just read and relax.

Very eloquently put. We have a young family now, having sadly lost all but one of our senior members by my early twenties. It is lovely with little ones, and I personally enjoy the gift buying and decorations, but Christmas does definitely have a habit of amplifying any stresses or difficulties in your life, and I am always very conscious of the fact that it's a painful time of year for many people. In terms of the trappings, I had several very enjoyable shopping trips to Bluewater for gifts in November, then - as soon as December hits - there's that godawful Christmas music blaring out all over the centre. I don't personally know anybody who finds that enhances their shopping experience. When it's peaceful, I will linger and browse, but when I can't hear myself think, I'm far more likely to just stick to my list and get in and out as quickly as possible! Whatever the retailers may try to tell us, you cannot buy the perfect Christmas, that's not what it's about. I know we knock QVC a lot (even though they're the reason many of us are here, lol!) but I do think they tap into that social pressure that a lot of people experience. Will you have the perfect presents for your loved ones? Will you look the part? Will your home look the part? Will your guests be comfortable? Will you be creating the right atmosphere for them? Do you have a selection of reserve presents in hand to save your blushes should someone turn up with an unexpected gift? Will the food be just so (or will you be cobbling a Christmas dinner together from whatever you could lay your hands on at the Spar, on account of yours not having turned up?!) etc etc.

Well I'd like to say Chanel No.5 daaahhhhhling but in truth dishing for one meat eater, two pescatarians and a vegan my work is cut out not contaminating each other's plates! ha! Bring on the jimmies when it's all over, yay!

Latest posts

Back