Alison Cork TSV 01/02/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always found QVC bedding is rarely to my taste I don't do chintzy and flowery and neutral colours .

AC seem a nice enough lady, shame about the tat she is trying to sell. I have seem better/cheaper at B&M. Fancy that oversized quilt / thingy on a single bed...lol

Past experience has taught me her stuff is cheap tat in the main.i purchased a faux mohair throw and it moulted everywhere.Clumps of hair everywhere. I mean beyond acceptable. It couldn't be used as a throw it was so bad.
Market would have been better quality.

Its the old chesnut. Ask in Tesco's why they dont stock Persil and they will say that Arial is the one everyone buys, which ofcourse, is because it is the only one they sell so its a case of buy it or go somewhere else for 1 item thus there can say it is a top seller, its a chicken and hen situtation.

Same with Q , they dont stock the variety for people to buy and then say it didnt sell.

I agree that the majority of US are behind the times in regard to fashion and furnishings but we sort of get caught up in the idea that everyone there is like the films or TV whereas the majority of them are as far removed from that lifestyle as ourselves.

New England style appears to be more in line with our present day tastes.

I think the problem is that the main customers for a channel like QVC in US are not the highly urban populations of the major cities or the more outward looking elements on the east and west coasts, who are no doubt in touch with what else is going on in style and fashion around the globe... When you instead cast your eyes further inland you see a different world. I think this has been one of the telling things about the recent presidential election result. There are two Americas and the two are nothing alike. For the designers and stylists at QVC, no matter where they come from themselves, they have to design for the target market. So it doesn't matter whether someone trained in Paris or Milan or whatever... they are not selling haute couture or any like it... they are selling serviceable polyester jersey that doesn't show the stains and strains of the wearer. For being in tune with their target market, QVC's base in Pennsylvania is about right. They have the cities, but also coalmining and farming, and it's one of the states that flipped from Democrat to Republican in the election...

So then you get QVC in the UK, which are not big enough to go it alone for deals for everything (they are big enough on some, mainly European, brands), based in London and trying to convince us that they have the finger on the pulse... I wonder what sort of QVC we would get if their studios were based closer to the warehouse? It might be very different, and possibly edgier - after all Liverpool gave us Brookside back in the day.

Generally, though on fashion and style items, the US market marches to a different drum to our market. Yes it will sell, but at the same time it turns of a ton of other customers. Beauty is simpler - European brands can mainly hold sway... especially on skincare, so there is less of a pull towards the US brands. I must say that they could do with some European cosmetic competition, but I wonder if the European brand owners are game for that?

With the "home" items, I have come to the conclusion that with a few exceptions, QVC commission the designers to do things for them, which QVC then make. And I suspect it's not quite as hands-on as we're led to believe. Maybe it's more along the lines of touring warehouses and picking out stuff rather than seeing through a design brief with the factories. I'm getting far too cynical!

I'm sure if you saw Alison Cork's designer range, and the Kelly Hoppen designer range - the quality would be very different (as well as the prices).

I've not been tempted to buy, but despite Jill Franks' manic behaviour last night on the launch, I enjoyed watching and listening to Alison herself. She's got a very nice manner about her.

I see they are doing a style show with Ruth Langsfort. Nothing against the lady but she is hardly cutting edge is she.

Also what is the point of a style ambassador who doesn't even have a nod to so called designing, isn't Q coming down with so called stylists. It's not a wonder the stuff is do expensive as I'm sure Ruth won't come cheap.

I see they are doing a style show with Ruth Langsfort. Nothing against the lady but she is hardly cutting edge is she.

Also what is the point of a style ambassador who doesn't even have a nod to so called designing, isn't Q coming down with so called stylists. It's not a wonder the stuff is do expensive as I'm sure Ruth won't come cheap.

QVC will not grasp that it's not all about the celebrity 'designer' / stylist presenting the range, it's all about the clothes. I like Ruth and was surprised to read that she's in her late 50's, I think she looks great, but bringing in a celebrity with no fashion credentials just reminds you that they are only there selling the range because they are being paid to do so. Had to laugh at this comment on her blog post:

"The other thing I love is the enthusiasm of the presenters! One of my big beefs about shopping these days is that very few people know about what they are selling and at QVC, the presenters have done all that homework for you."

:thinking:

QVC will not grasp that it's not all about the celebrity 'designer' / stylist presenting the range, it's all about the clothes. I like Ruth and was surprised to read that she's in her late 50's, I think she looks great, but bringing in a celebrity with no fashion credentials just reminds you that they are only there selling the range because they are being paid to do so. Had to laugh at this comment on her blog post:

"The other thing I love is the enthusiasm of the presenters! One of my big beefs about shopping these days is that very few people know about what they are selling and at QVC, the presenters have done all that homework for you."

:thinking:

So can we expect to see Ruth presenting her Morning programme or loose Women decked out in QVC fashions.?
That would be interesting .

Trinny could give her expert opinion during her fashion segment.

its like the kelly hoppen bedding made by qvc (and thier high thread count bedding is not great imo) with her name added. it must make a lot of money for her but compromises her business imo. the nn brand does not seem to be so popular now with q cutting corners ie on the duvest packed with cheap feathers rather than down and pillows with no filling

So can we expect to see Ruth presenting her Morning programme or loose Women decked out in QVC fashions.?
That would be interesting .

Trinny could give her expert opinion during her fashion segment.

On Facebook yesterday posters were fauning over Ruth saying they liked the way she dressed ect. Personally I am not keen on her.

I reckon it'll be dresses. When she's on This Morning Ruth always wears dresses and the ITV site used to supply info about the dresses she wears in answer to viewers' queries. What I find funny is that 20+ years ago T callers to QVC used to ask for dresses and were told there was no call for them until Kim brought a few and then the advent of Tiana B and Ronnie Nicole.

So I predict lots of princess seam dresses with 3/4 sleeves (so they aren't the "wrong" length on anyone), some flowery and some block colours. Oh with an odd bolero or two for arm coverage perhaps!

Ah Ruthie ! Yet another person being paid a fortune to flog clothes they usually wouldn`t be seen dead wearing. Mind you her and hubby have recently had to drop the price of their mansion they`re trying to sell from £3.79 million to £3.49 million according to Ideal Homes magazine who did a spread on it and one of her most recent photos shows her wearing a designer dress, Jimmy Choo shoes and expensive jewellery.
If QVC paid me a small fortune then I`d happily spout about their dire fashion mass produced in stretchy polyester !

I've only seen Ruth in magazines - don't watch morning ITV at all, and what is it with the hairstyle ? always looks flat over her ears. Very odd.

As for her dress style, the morning presenters (again from magazines) all look the same, in figure hugging polyster - Lorraine, Holly - they're all clones of one another.

I think Ruth always looks smart and tidy! The clothes should be 100 times (hopefully) better than most of the fashions currently on the Q! :mysmilie_5:

I wonder whether Ruth is giving Kathy's Wednesday morning fashion fest the heave ho?

QVC seems to be the place that presenters of magazine programmes go when their "careers" are coming to an end, keeping them in the public eye of some sort.

I like Ruth and I notice on her Q blog she mentions Liz Earle and other high end makes that she likes about QVC's selling, but she also mentions the skin care she likes herself, as being Gatineau Decleor and Elemis, but she omitted to mention Lancome, which of course Qvc don't sell, yet on a recent Friday This Morning, in fact Friday past she said one of her all time favourites she just casually slipped in when discussing skin care with the makeup artist who did twins make up, one very cheap, the other costing more than £200 to do a face, supposedly showing the difference, Ruth very quietly said she liked and had used for a long time Lancome - which I also like - well done Ruth perhaps if you're working for Q you'll ditch your old ways!!!! hmmmm

Latest posts

Back