Has anyone tried Jay Manuel make up?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
I have just seen this brand on the beauty channel and am impressed by the choice of foundation shades. Watched a few you tube reviews but wonder what you think on here? The powder to cream foundation sounds the better one of the two.

When the brand launched on Q I saw some shows and they were ruined by the overt studio lighting used. No wonder the skin glowed, it had umpteen lights shining on it! It completely detracted from the make up IMO. I haven't tried it but the reviews I saw on Q were overwhelmingly negative. However the one thing people did praise was the choice of colour and match to their skin tone.

Did you see the long thread on here about the TSV in September, Weathergirl? It wasn't very complimentary and the reviews, as mentioned in the last 2 or 3 pages of that thread (see p16), were appalling. Of course, as that TSV set is not available now, the details and reviews have been taken down, but have a browse at the Shopping Telly thread from around the day of the actual TSV onwards.

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/show...el-Beauty-TSV-07-09-16/page5&highlight=manuel

Ha ha! No I missed that one! I think the reviews reflect the intended demographic of the products, twenty somethings on the London club scene.looking at you tube, there are great reviews for the foundation products. The blushers are extremely high pigmentation, which is why a very light hand (a fan brush perhaps?) should be used. The lip products get awful reviews. Mascara seems to concentrate on the revolving brush rather than the product itself. Eyeshadows have fantastic pigment and colour payoff but a bit crumbly transfer under the eyes on application. I think I will try the foundations with the money back guarantee because I am so impressed with those shade choices. But not interested in the rest of the range.

I caught Chloe on the Beauty Channel earlier and she looked really really made up!

I certainly couldn't walk down the street or even go to the pub in it, everyone would laugh! Too heavy and false looking! :mysmilie_48:

When I saw this foundation demonstrated on the last tsv it reminded me of a foundation I used to buy many many years ago. It felt like putty in a jar and covered everything and anything, was called Leichner and I think it was originally designed as stage makeup. No idea if they still sell it.
Maybe the JM stuff had been too heavily applied but it certainly didn`t seem to give the no makeup makeup look.

I’ve Googled Leichner and it’s very inexpensive and I’m tempted to try it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=L...LrctqAH&gws_rd=ssl#cns=1&gfe_rd=cr&gws_rd=ssl

Good heavens I didn`t realise they still made it. I used it in my teens, I`m in my 60`s now so it`s been going a long long time. Back then the fashion was the Twiggy/Mary Quant/Biba look of very pale complexion, plucked within an inch of their life almost invisible eyebrows, spider eye lashes and a very dark lipstick. I inherited my Mum`s highly coloured complexion so the only way I could ever achieve pale and interesting was to slap on a thick layer of Leighner in a very pale shade and then set it with powder. I shudder to think what I looked like but as all teens I wanted to follow the trends. I wonder if the formula is the same because it certainly covered well but wasn`t easy to apply, the consistency was quite thick.

Good heavens I didn`t realise they still made it. I used it in my teens, I`m in my 60`s now so it`s been going a long long time. Back then the fashion was the Twiggy/Mary Quant/Biba look of very pale complexion, plucked within an inch of their life almost invisible eyebrows, spider eye lashes and a very dark lipstick. I inherited my Mum`s highly coloured complexion so the only way I could ever achieve pale and interesting was to slap on a thick layer of Leighner in a very pale shade and then set it with powder. I shudder to think what I looked like but as all teens I wanted to follow the trends. I wonder if the formula is the same because it certainly covered well but wasn`t easy to apply, the consistency was quite thick.
One of reviews on Amazon says that it’s thinner now than it used to be.
The review:
‘I first used this back in the 60's and 70's when I was modelling and then it was much thicker. Now it is lovely and smooth, like whipped cream! Goes onto my mature skin perfectly, and doesn't sink into any lines and show them up! As I have dry skin it suits it down to the ground, but wouldn't be suitable for anyone who tends to have greasy panels. It lasts hours and unlike a lot of foundations that need to be completely removed before applying more, this can be re-applied without any problem. Great in the night light too, and in photographs it's extremely flattering. It isn't as dark as it looks in the pot, so that is something to bear in mind. A little goes a long way as well, so that's a bonus too. After spending a fortune on every foundation under the sun, I'm thrilled to bits to have found this one again, and so cheap - another bonus! It seems that there isn't such a generation gap after all - my teenage grandaughter who is always looking to see what make up I've bought, tried it and loved it, so I ordered some for her and she's over the moon with it. Tried, trusted and highly recommended!’

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00378PIOA/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I see Leichner, usually in small chemists. I do think it comes under the grease paint term. :mysmilie_17:

Well my Jay Manuel foundation tube version has arrived. My chosen shade (light 3) seems a perfect match but I will test again in the morning daylight. Its weird, quite a thin consistency yet clearly a full coverage, probably too much so for me. I am going to try it with a tip I have seen on you tube, to put one drop of any cosmetic oil (except lavender oil) mixed with your cream or liquid foundation. I was skeptical, but when I tried it with a small dab of my Doll10 cream concealer the finish was absolutely perfect. I was quite blown away by the result and it makes the foundation last longer because you use much much less.

Sounds like something you paint with and It reminds me off that when I saw the demo!
Don't fancy it!

Well my Jay Manuel foundation tube version has arrived. My chosen shade (light 3) seems a perfect match but I will test again in the morning daylight. Its weird, quite a thin consistency yet clearly a full coverage, probably too much so for me. I am going to try it with a tip I have seen on you tube, to put one drop of any cosmetic oil (except lavender oil) mixed with your cream or liquid foundation. I was skeptical, but when I tried it with a small dab of my Doll10 cream concealer the finish was absolutely perfect. I was quite blown away by the result and it makes the foundation last longer because you use much much less.

I do that too, with a foundation I've got that is just a little too matte. As you say, a tiny drop of oil added to your foundation makes all the difference

Yes its identical! Not sure who copied who. I like the very slim tube as it makes it less bulky in the make up bag. The cap pulls off rather than twists, a mistake I keep making since it arrived. The oil idea worked really well, just one small squeeze of foundation, one tiny drop of oil mixed in, this does the whole face and gives natural looking coverage and healthy glow. Not sure I will keep it yet though as I suspect the oil trick will work with much cheaper foundations (though shade range would not be so good). It is a very good quality full coverage and highly pigmented foundation, but full coverage is not the look I go for.

Latest posts

Back